Thread: SEC football discussion thread #3

Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    http://m.thepostgame.com/commentary/...ompson-sec-bcs

"Why the SEC isn't as great in football as you think."

By Chuck Thompson
    This is a good argument.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Yet Bama's resume was better than anything the Big Ten could throw out there for it's teams.
    I really don't see how anyone could say they had a better season than Michigan State.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    This is a good argument.

I really don't see how anyone could say they had a better season than Michigan State.
    Given the results of the bowls, I agree. Personally, I think Bama should now drop out of the top 25.

But concerning arguments for a national championship bid...different story. And the article was a pretty weak argument-somehow the computer and coaches association are all doing ESPN's bidding while people in the south are evangelicals that can't understand how the coaches across all conferences and other experts sprinkled across the country are all taking marching orders from ESPN?
    Last edited by jojo; 01-03-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The ESPN pimps the SEC argument is a little rough, given that the marquee SEC game every Saturday is actually on CBS.

Oh, C. Vann Woodward was also probably the proudest Southerner ever.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I was thinking about this the other day. Was the old system better? In the current BCS system you get the arbitrarily decided top two teams playing each other. After watching MSU play you can't give me a valid reason other than "its the SEC" that Auburn deserves it over MSU. MSU best win is over OSU who has played about as difficult of a schedule as FSU has. Alabama is great but they laid an egg to a pretty blah Oklahoma team.

With the old system more than 1 (maybe 2) bowl games mattered. In the old system more games mattered. In the old system you could say, maybe someone wasn't as good as we thought. The old system was like the last week in the regular season, teams playing for everything, in the current flawed BCS system, only one game matters.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-03-2014)

MSU lost to Notre Dame. At home.

8. Likes:

jojo (01-03-2014)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    MSU lost to Notre Dame. At home.
    Wrong. The game was in South Bend.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Wrong. The game was in South Bend.
    Sorry. MSU lost to ND. In South Bend.

Either way is pretty damning for a team hoping to be considered for a national title.

11. Likes:

jojo (01-03-2014)

Sorry. MSU lost to ND. In South Bend.

Either way is pretty damning for a team hoping to be considered for a national title.
    Actually MSU lost to both ND and the refs in South Bend.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day. Was the old system better? In the current BCS system you get the arbitrarily decided top two teams playing each other. After watching MSU play you can't give me a valid reason other than "its the SEC" that Auburn deserves it over MSU. MSU best win is over OSU who has played about as difficult of a schedule as FSU has. Alabama is great but they laid an egg to a pretty blah Oklahoma team.

With the old system more than 1 (maybe 2) bowl games mattered. In the old system more games mattered. In the old system you could say, maybe someone wasn't as good as we thought. The old system was like the last week in the regular season, teams playing for everything, in the current flawed BCS system, only one game matters.
    Well, there were fewer bowl games then. When I was growing up I think I could count the number of bowls on two hands. Now there are 35 counting the BCS Championship game. Any team that's halfway decent can go to a bowl game now. It's really not that much of an accomplishment.

I think, for me, that the pre-determined matchups are a problem. If they didn't make the BCS games you have something like #3 SEC vs. #3 Big 10 and #2 ACC vs. #2 Big 12. Inevitably you get the same teams matching up every few years going to the same bowls. IIRC, this year was the 3rd time in about 10 years LSU and Iowa have faced each other in a bowl game. I know in the old system the Rose had Big 10 champ vs Pac 10 champ and the Cotton, Sugar and Orange all had a conference champ vs. whoever. The lesser bowls could take whoever they wanted. You get different matchups in different bowls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Actually MSU lost to both ND and the refs in South Bend.
    This is sort of like claiming Miami actually won that national title in '03.

16. Likes:

indyscott (01-03-2014)

Bama actually won it that year.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Bama actually won it that year.
    How exactly did they manage to do that? They snuck in and beat both Ohio State and Miami in OT (and I'm talking about the game played in '03 and not the '03 season)?

For a Level Playing Field

I can play this game too.

Auburn lost to LSU. LSU lost to "mighty teams" with names like Georgia (who of course should have beaten the War Eagle) and Ole Miss. Pretty damning for Auburn to be in the title game with that reasoning. Two way streets are fun!

20. Likes:

jimbo (01-03-2014)

How exactly did they manage to do that? They snuck in and beat both Ohio State and Miami in OT (and I'm talking about the game played in '03 and not the '03 season)?
    Right but a ten win Bama team didn't get a chance to play for the National Championship that year....

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I can play this game too.

Auburn lost to LSU. LSU lost to "mighty teams" with names like Georgia (who of course should have beaten the War Eagle) and Ole Miss. Pretty damning for Auburn to be in the title game with that reasoning. Two way streets are fun!
    Not really. Everyone with a brain knows LSU is a much better team than Notre Dame this year. And Michigan State finally has its second quality win after the Rose Bowl. Unfortuanately for them, Auburn got its two quality wins before the bowl pairings came out, and if they get #3 on Monday there's no question who is more deserving based on the current system (or even the old system...although Auburn wouldn't have played FSU in the old system).

Now, if we had a +1 system in place, Michigan State would be playing the winner of Monday's game. But their redemption just came too late.

Turn Off Ads?