Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jay Bruce Needs to Bat Cleanup

Re: Jay Bruce Needs to Bat Cleanup

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    This would be fine if they move Votto up to the 2 spot. Especially true if last years approach continues.
    Big fan of this. Hes perfect for a 2 hole hitter. Good OBP, see a lot of pitches, good bat control, the list goes on and on. I think Hamilton and votto hitting 1st and 2nd gives you a lot of options, provided Hamilton gets on base at a decent clip. The only real concern is if he returns to the MVP power numbers he put up a few years ago, but thats a good problem to have.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by No pants Mcgee View Post
    Big fan of this. Hes perfect for a 2 hole hitter. Good OBP, see a lot of pitches, good bat control, the list goes on and on. I think Hamilton and votto hitting 1st and 2nd gives you a lot of options, provided Hamilton gets on base at a decent clip. The only real concern is if he returns to the MVP power numbers he put up a few years ago, but thats a good problem to have.
    Who's going to bat 3rd? Ludwick?

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    Who's going to bat 3rd? Ludwick?
    i agree you don't have a perfect 3 hole hitter if you move votto, but you dont have an ideal 2 hitter either if you dont. Personally i wouldn't be against moving Bruce up to 3rd. The big question in my mind in this scenario is BP. Hes likely to hit somewhere 2-4 if we like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by No pants Mcgee View Post
    i agree you don't have a perfect 3 hole hitter if you move votto, but you dont have an ideal 2 hitter either if you dont. Personally i wouldn't be against moving Bruce up to 3rd. The big question in my mind in this scenario is BP. Hes likely to hit somewhere 2-4 if we like it or not.
    I think it's a moot point of Hamilton gets on base at a 350-360 clip from the leadoff spot.

However, I think that's pretty unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    Back to the thread topic.

B Ham, Joey, BP, JB, Ludwick, if Joey is going to be great at OBP, I would put him in the 2 hole
    My overall point is that if you put Jay Bruce batting directly behind Votto all the time, then Votto's production numbers won't mirror that of a 2 hole hitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Ok, I'm not looking for the best numbers at the 2 hole, but the best line up. I posted my guess , the statnics can run the numbers, but my vote is the same as posted, with Votto 2 and BP #3.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

I also hope Bruce bats cleanup. I know Dusty was reluctant to have Votto and Bruce back to back with them both being lefties, but hopefully Price will be different.

Bruce needs to make better contact if he is going to be a 4 hole hitter. That is where your RBI man needs to be and it is hard being successful when you strike out 200 times a season. Would rather have ludwig there.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    Bruce needs to make better contact if he is going to be a 4 hole hitter. That is where your RBI man needs to be and it is hard being successful when you strike out 200 times a season. Would rather have ludwig there.
    I too would like to see less strike outs, but keep in mind Jay Bruce for his career Ks about 24% of the time. Ludwick about 22%. Not a huge difference.

11. Likes:

villain612 (02-24-2014)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

BP in the 3 hole depends on being able to avoid month-long slumps like we saw last season, but I like everything else about that lineup.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

I'm a huge fan of batting Bruce in the 4 hole with the current team we have. I would love for us to go out and find a true cleanup hitter, but that doesn't look like its happening.

14. Likes:

villain612 (02-24-2014)

Turn Off Ads?