2) BP
    3) votto
    4) ludwick
    5) bruce
    6) frazier
    7) mez
    8) cozart
    9) pitcher

not sure if price will split votto and bruce but should. don't worry about the end of the game, worry about the first 6-7 innings. now if the reds go out and get a big right handed bat like cruz than split them up.

thoughts??
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

2. Likes:

johng (12-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Batting order for 2014

1. I think we'll platoon quite a bit more this year.
    - Pena will play vs. RH more
    2. Schumaker should spell Phillips a lot more vs. RH
    3. I think we'll see a platoon partner in the OF as well.

But your lineup should be pretty straightforward vs. LH pitching.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

I think Pena is Rocco's backup, at least to start the season. They didn't deal Hanny just to start another 60/40 platoon. It is time to see what the kid's got.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

7. Likes:

marcshoe (12-27-2013), Old school 1983 (12-27-2013)

Salukifan2

I still don't think Hamilton is the opening day starter in CF. Is Franklin Guittierez still available?

This is sort of depressing to think about.

10. Likes:

Benihana (12-27-2013), Wonderful Monds (12-27-2013)

After Bruce kinda looks like

5. Cross your fingers
    6. Hope
    7. Wish
    8. Beg

(And that's if Hamilton pans out at leadoff)
    Go BLUE!!!

12. Likes:

wheels (12-27-2013)

The silver lining us that the sheer ineptness of most of the regulars should help tamp down those incessant lineup debates that seem to dominate the in season discussion.

It's really tough to argue about Votto, Bruce, and seven automatic outs.

We're a mess, no way around it. Missed our chance and it's time to rebuild again, unfortunately.

In the end, if the pitching staff stays healthy, this team is a contender, regardless of the offense.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-27-2013)

You guys are trippin. We're going to be just fine.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-27-2013)

Going off the board here.

Vs RHP/Vs LHP

Billy Hamilton CF/Jason Bourgeois CF
    Skip Schumaker 2B or LF/Brandon Phillips 2B
    Joey Votto 1B/Joey Votto 1B
    Jay Bruce RF/Ryan Ludwick LF
    Ryan Ludwick LF or Brandon Phillips 2B/Jay Bruce RF
    Todd Frazier 3B/Todd Frazier 3B
    Devin Mesoraco or Brayan Pena C/Devin Mesoraco C
    Zach Cozart SS/Zach Cozart SS

Against LHP, Chris Heisey could fit in at any of the OF positions hitting 1st or 5th. Probably would move Bruce up to 4th if Heisey replaces Ludwick.

While it may seem like Skippy is the guy to be Hamilton's caddy, Hamilton has put up much better OBP against RHP as a minor leaguer than he has against LHP. Since Skippy is also better against RHP, he would seem a more likely guy to give Ludwick or Phillips a rest. If both Phillips and Ludwick are in there with Skippy sitting against RHP, Phillips would hit 2nd and Ludwick 4th (though neither should hit in those spots in a more talented line-up). The Reds really don't have a good choice to lead-off against LHP, so Bourgeois is my surprise choice to make the team in that role. The last bench spot would come down to Hannahan or someone who is more suited to play SS. I'm all for giving Jack the boot.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

Vs RHP/Vs LHP

Against LHP, Chris Heisey could fit in at any of the OF positions hitting 1st or 5th. Probably would move Bruce up to 4th if Heisey replaces Ludwick.

While it may seem like Skippy is the guy to be Hamilton's caddy, Hamilton has put up much better OBP against RHP as a minor leaguer than he has against LHP. Since Skippy is also better against RHP, he would seem a more likely guy to give Ludwick or Phillips a rest. If both Phillips and Ludwick are in there with Skippy sitting against RHP, Phillips would hit 2nd and Ludwick 4th (though neither should hit in those spots in a more talented line-up). The Reds really don't have a good choice to lead-off against LHP, so Bourgeois is my surprise choice to make the team in that role. The last bench spot would come down to Hannahan or someone who is more suited to play SS. I'm all for giving Jack the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

Vs RHP/Vs LHP

Bourgeois? Blech! Almost as bad as wasting a bench spot on Hanahan. Bourgeois & Hanahan on the same bench? It would probably create a giant vortex of suck so massive that it would collapse in upon itself and tear a gaping hole in the fabric of space and time.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Bourgeois? Blech! Almost as bad as wasting a bench spot on Hanahan. Bourgeois & Hanahan on the same bench? It would probably create a giant vortex of suck so massive that it would collapse in upon itself and tear a gaping hole in the fabric of space and time.
    Don't much like it either, but he has put up decent OBP numbers against LHP. Billy hasn't done so well, even in the minors, and Schumaker hasn't either. The Reds really don't have a guy who can play CF and be even a questionable option against LHP. May need to go with Heisey there, and he's OK from a slugging standpoint, but he's not really a good lead-off option. We may well end-up with Cozart leading off against LHP and Heisey playing and hitting down in the order. I just see Bourgeois as the best of a bunch of really awful alternatives and probably has more value than Hannahan (especially if the Reds can find a taker for Jack's deal and buy-out).

I still hope they can add somebody. Shouldn't be this hard to find a RH bat who can play CF and get on base against LHP. Even Drew Stubbs can do that.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?