Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batting order for 2014

Re: Batting order for 2014

saw a rumor floating around of Homer Bailey, Brandon Phillips, and Ryan Ludwick + a prospect to Braves for Alex Wood, Evan Gattis, Uggla, Ramiro Pena, and prospects

Imagine Gattis is left field, Uggla and Schumaker playin second, Ramiro Pena backup infielder, and Latos/Cueto/Cingrani/Leake/Wood in rotation

2. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-12-2014),corkedbat (01-12-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Don't much like it either, but he has put up decent OBP numbers against LHP. Billy hasn't done so well, even in the minors, and Schumaker hasn't either. The Reds really don't have a guy who can play CF and be even a questionable option against LHP. May need to go with Heisey there, and he's OK from a slugging standpoint, but he's not really a good lead-off option. We may well end-up with Cozart leading off against LHP and Heisey playing and hitting down in the order. I just see Bourgeois as the best of a bunch of really awful alternatives and probably has more value than Hannahan (especially if the Reds can find a taker for Jack's deal and buy-out).

I still hope they can add somebody. Shouldn't be this hard to find a RH bat who can play CF and get on base against LHP. Even Drew Stubbs can do that.
    Add the inevitable no-hit SS to Bourgeois & Hannahan and you would have all the original ingredients for the Big Bang. Good for a Nobel Prize - if the Universe hadn't imploded.

Maybe they don't have the money to bring in a Bautista or Rasmus, but they can afford a better bench than Bourgeios, Hannahan and Mr. No-it SS man. Heck! HRod, Lutz and Soto could suck-less at half the money. Who knows? They might even provide the occasional offense off the bench. No need for a no-hit CF backup like Bougeois if you already have Schumaker and Heisey on the 25-man. Find a couple of bats with some XBH's in them.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-12-2014 at 06:10 PM.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    as it stands now....

vs right handers

1) hamilton cf
    2) BP 2b
    3) votto 1b
    4) bruce rf
    5) ludwick lf
    6) frazier 3b
    7) mez c
    8) cozart ss
    9) pitcher

vs left handers

1) hamilton
    2) BP
    3) votto
    4) ludwick
    5) bruce
    6) frazier
    7) mez
    8) cozart
    9) pitcher

not sure if price will split votto and bruce but should. don't worry about the end of the game, worry about the first 6-7 innings. now if the reds go out and get a big right handed bat like cruz than split them up.

thoughts??
    With Bruce's vastyl-improved apporoach againt lefties last season, not sure there's a big need to move him based on the pitcher, but I'd probably still prefer to have someone between he and Votto in the event they get against a nasty southpaw out of the pen in the late innings.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Add the inevitable no-hit SS to Bourgeois & Hannahan and you would have all the original ingredients for the Big Bang. Good for a Nobel Prize - if the Universe hadn't imploded.

Maybe they don't have the money to bring in a Bautista or Rasmus, but they can afford a better bench than Bourgeios, Hannahan and Mr. No-it SS man. Heck! HRod, Lutz and Soto could suck-less at half the money. Who knows? They might even provide the occasional offense off the bench. No need for a no-hit CF backup like Bougeois if you already have Schumaker and Heisey on the 25-man. Find a couple of bats with some XBH's in them.
    I'm not looking for back-up CF. I'm looking for an option to lead-off against LHP. Hamilton's weak projection is even worse against LHP and Schumaker doesn't hit them either. The Reds need a guy to play CF 30% of the time even if you're sold on Hamilton and Schumaker the other 70% (I'm certainly not). Right now, Bourgeois, is probably the best option. That is how dire the predicament this team's offense is in.

I wouldn't have all three of Hannahan, Bougeois and a Back-up SS on the bench. I'm saying I'd rather have Bourgeois and a Back-up SS than Hannahan on the bench. Heisey, Schumaker, Bourgeois, Pena, Back-up SS. I hope they can find a taker for Hannahan. If no taker, cut bait. If you are going to have a guy who hits like a back-up SS, you may as well get one who can actually play SS. No need for Hannahan.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Mine looks like this:

2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    3B Frazier
    RF Bruce
    LF Ludwick
    C Mesoraco
    SS Cozart
    SP Latos
    CF Hamilton
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

8. Likes:

757690 (01-13-2014)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Mine looks like this:

2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    3B Frazier
    RF Bruce
    LF Ludwick
    C Mesoraco
    SS Cozart
    SP Latos
    CF Hamilton
    That's very LaRussa of you.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    saw a rumor floating around of Homer Bailey, Brandon Phillips, and Ryan Ludwick + a prospect to Braves for Alex Wood, Evan Gattis, Uggla, Ramiro Pena, and prospects

Imagine Gattis is left field, Uggla and Schumaker playin second, Ramiro Pena backup infielder, and Latos/Cueto/Cingrani/Leake/Wood in rotation
    I'm gonna start by saying I don't buy this will happen, but this offseason has been such a bore I'm gonna break it down anyway.

Don't like Gattis' OBP or K rate last year, but like his power and MiLB OBP & OPS. Pena certainly fits the no-hit reserve SS profile (even switch-hits). Love Wood and the would be the main reason to make the deal. I would at least like another starter or top young 3B prospect just for taking Uggla alone (almost grounds for the Wahoos throwing in Walden to boot ).

If Uggla had successful corrective eye surgery this offseason and there are a couple of very solid prospects kicked in than maybe I do it, but those prospects would have to be pretty sweet for me to take on two years of Uggla that might resemble his last two campaigns.

When you compare the components though this deal would be heavily in favor of the Braves.

Homer Bailey vs. Alex Wood - this would be huge in the Braves favor if Homer were controlled for more years. The fact that this will be his walk year still makes it a sizeable edge for Atlanta (even though I REALLY like Alex).

Brandon Phillips vs. Dan Uggla & Ramiro Pena - Phillips probably isn't worth the back end of his contract, but still a very good defender and his bat still shows at times (especially for a 2B) while Uggla and Pena actually have negative value. Pena's a dime-a-dozen light hitting SS. The fact that he doesn't hit from both sides of the plate might be worth tuppence. Uggla still has some power, but will they throw him balls that ping. Maybe he bounces back, but I would factor that into the deal. This weighs heavily in the Braves favor as well.

Ryan Ludwick vs. Evan Gattis - Ludwick may bounce back and hit a little better than Gattis this season, but for a lot more cash. Gattis needs to get on base more ans K less than last season, but he is well-regarded. A young RH-hitter in LF? Yes please. Win for the Reds, but not by as much as you might think.

Intangibles - the Reds drop a sizeable amount of salary that can be distributed elsewhere, but they also take most of the risk in this deal. Will Gattis make batter contact? Does Uggla's bat turn around enough to register as any kind of plus? Or is he just a 2-year sunken cost? Is there anyone willing to take him off our hands once we have him? Will the Braves be kicking in any of his salary in addition to taking all of BP's?

Conclusion: After careful consideration, I think I am going to have to insist on the inclusion of Jordan Walden afterall. Yeah, I know that ain't happening. At the very least though, the Braves would have to kick in another top ten prospect and another highly regarded youngster from the lower levels of the farm. Like I said to begin with - can't see it happening.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-12-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    The sound of the offense during the upcoming season?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Mine looks like this:

2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    3B Frazier
    RF Bruce
    LF Ludwick
    C Mesoraco
    SS Cozart
    SP Latos
    CF Hamilton
    I'd switch Frazier and Bruce, but otherwise, that's mine too.

Assuming the Reds want Hamilton to lead off, I'd go

Hamilton
    Votto
    Bruce
    Pick the rest from a hat.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm not looking for back-up CF. I'm looking for an option to lead-off against LHP. Hamilton's weak projection is even worse against LHP and Schumaker doesn't hit them either. The Reds need a guy to play CF 30% of the time even if you're sold on Hamilton and Schumaker the other 70% (I'm certainly not). Right now, Bourgeois, is probably the best option. That is how dire the predicament this team's offense is in.

I wouldn't have all three of Hannahan, Bougeois and a Back-up SS on the bench. I'm saying I'd rather have Bourgeois and a Back-up SS than Hannahan on the bench. Heisey, Schumaker, Bourgeois, Pena, Back-up SS. I hope they can find a taker for Hannahan. If no taker, cut bait. If you are going to have a guy who hits like a back-up SS, you may as well get one who can actually play SS. No need for Hannahan.
    BTW, not meaning to rag on you mth, just one of my major pet peeves. Walt's sorry anemic benches.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-13-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Turn Off Ads?