Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nelson Cruz, thoughts

Nelson Cruz, thoughts

Where are you guys at with Nelson Cruz? Say we signed him for the amount of money we had available for the first few years of Choo, but not number of years? If Walt was talking to Boras about Choo, then there's money available. Now, I realize Cruz isn't Choo...but if its a 2 or 3 year deal for the money per year we had set aside for Choo, then that could solve some of the RH power issues.....

-Sign Cruz for 2 or 3 year/15 million, or cheaper, with significant incentives for # of games played and offensive stats achieved.

-Move Bruce to CF for 2014, while Hamilton gets more hitting experience

-Bat Cozart at leadoff, his stat line was much better post All Star break....apparently he didn't bat at all in the leadoff position in 2014, but his numbers for leading off an inning are pretty good, so that could be a good sign.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits...6/zack-cozart-

I know there is a draft pick we'd lose on Cruz signing, but most likely will pick one up when Bailey walks next year.....mid long term, is that a wash, being 1 year apart...not really sure.

Would this lineup get it done in 2014?
    Cozart (.280avg/.315 OBP/.715 OPS post AS break)
    BP
    Votto
    Cruz (RF)
    Bruce (CF)
    Ludwick (LF)/Meso
    Frazier
    Ludwick/Meso

Rotation remains the same with Bailey and no Arroyo signing. Then in 2015, Stephenson slides in to the #5 spot.

Is that now too many right handed bats in the lineup?

I'm not sold on Hamilton yet..and fear he could be the new Willie Taveras, and we could all be fed up with him by June/July if handed the CF job opening day.

What I've done here is presented a possibility to run with, but admitting I don't have all of the answers, or fill in information here to truly analyze it, so feel free to add to this positively or negatively.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nelson Cruz, thoughts

On the other site I have asked ten times to sign this guy

The time to sign him was when he was young and just getting ready to use steroids. Not now.

I dont think it effected Peralta, he is better than the Reds antediluvian alternatives

I don't think the Reds want to move Bruce out of RF, I think they feel he is comfortable there and a move might cause issues. Second, there has to be something up with this guy, be it the PED use or asking to much money or something to still be sitting on the market at this point.

He's 33 and will be asking for several years. No need to repeat the Ludwick mistake.

It sounds like superstition, but probably isn't: signing Cruz would work out perfectly for the Cardinals (they'd get the remaining decent season or two out of him then some stupid team would take him off their hands), but in the hands of the Reds would turn into a total disaster. Reds should stay as low risk and low cost as possible till their farm reloads.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 12-26-2013 at 11:14 AM.

their offense will be unwatchable and unendurable

Pretty sure he's only asking for 3 years right now. I understand he maybe quiet a bit different off the PEDs but in GABP should still be able to send it quiet a few times.

Moving Bruce to CF got suggested by Twitter to CTrent awhile back and he said that wouldn't be a big deal for him to move over. Does C Trent know everything no, but he probably has a pulse on the team and Reds thinking about something like that being done

Reports are Rangers may move Rios to free up some cash for Tanaka. He isn't great, but he is a lot better defensively than Cruz, and is only signed for one year. He could probably play center for Cincy. Any interest in him?

I have a sinking feeling Walt is happy with the Roster as it is, and unless offered a steal of a trade, is going to go into the season with what we have...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    I have a sinking feeling Walt is happy with the Roster as it is, and unless offered a steal of a trade, is going to go into the season with what we have...
    You may be right Johnny. If he signs Bronson, he needs to have the second move already lined up, or he loses lots of leverage on whichever SP he is looking to move for CF or other help.

If that's the case, did we see enough improvement from Mesoraco, Cozart, Frazier to improve the lineup you guys think? I know Meso and Cozart had better post AS break stats, Frazier regressed. If those 3 guys could actually put up numbers, we may be ok.

But I would much prefer and solid lead off guy in CF, or a power hitting right hander at some position and adjust from there.

Getting old
    Cost too much
    Can't Field

It's 2014 not 2001 and Jim Bowden is gone, this guys is not a Reds player

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-26-2013)

who is a reds player Hanrahan, Heisey perhaps they can reactivate Clyde Mashore

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    who is a reds player Hanrahan, Heisey perhaps they can reactivate Clyde Mashore
    Better yet why not look for the next Allyn Stout or Dode Paskert or maybe Brick Jefferson or perhaps Charlie Hexam.

Or if you want a statue maybe take a visit to the Rodin Garden at Stanford instead?

How about Stan Jefferson or Reggie Jefferson alas Reggie traded before his salad days for the slugger Tim Costo

Turn Off Ads?