Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nelson Cruz, thoughts

Re: Nelson Cruz, thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    You may be right Johnny. If he signs Bronson, he needs to have the second move already lined up, or he loses lots of leverage on whichever SP he is looking to move for CF or other help.

If that's the case, did we see enough improvement from Mesoraco, Cozart, Frazier to improve the lineup you guys think? I know Meso and Cozart had better post AS break stats, Frazier regressed. If those 3 guys could actually put up numbers, we may be ok.

But I would much prefer and solid lead off guy in CF, or a power hitting right hander at some position and adjust from there.
    I love Bronson, but don't see any chance of him as a Red next year. Once the issue with the Japanese pitcher is resolved, some team out there will offer him a 2-3 year deal, which the Reds won't so I don't see him here next year on just a 1 year deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cruz is always hurt. Not worth the cash for a part time player.

He's been worth an average of roughly 1.3 wins the past 3 seasons (130 games averaged). That's worth about $7 mill/per on the open market. I'd much rather spend the money elsewhere (Latos extension?) and give Ludwick another shot. We don't need to block Winker or Ervin.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac84 View Post
    He's been worth an average of roughly 1.3 wins the past 3 seasons (130 games averaged). That's worth about $7 mill/per on the open market. I'd much rather spend the money elsewhere (Latos extension?) and give Ludwick another shot. We don't need to block Winker or Ervin.

That last part is key. The Reds really don't need to sign any OF past 2015. Ervin and/or Winker should be ready by 2016 if all things go well. (Fingers crossed they each do well in AA this year)

That's why I'm surprised at all of these ideas I see in other threads of trading for Kemp or signing player "a" for 5 years. The Reds just need a temporary fix @ LF for 2015 and a platoon partner who is cheap for Ludwick for 2014. Don't block Ervin or Winker in 2016. The Reds also need to free up cash for LT deals for Latos, Cueto etc.

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-31-2013)

yeah the team looks good for 2027

Some good feedback, I like that formula of how much a player is worth per win type deal, didn't know that was out there. If only teams wouldn't over pay that by 2x or more.

I hadn't followed Ervin or Winkers progress like I did for Bruce, Votto, Frazier, etc a few years ago. So maybe we are good to go out there in the next year or so.

At this point, maybe just get us a bonified CF leadoff either through trade or a remaining free agent. I'm not sold on Billy being ready yet, just my 2 cents.

It makes no sense to not be able to sign Choo because of the money, and then turn around and inevitably overpay for an aging Nelson Cruz, which we all know is what is going to happen.

I say pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    It makes no sense to not be able to sign Choo because of the money, and then turn around and inevitably overpay for an aging Nelson Cruz, which we all know is what is going to happen.

I say pass.
    Everybody on the free agent market gets overpaid. Is what you're saying is that because the Reds didn't fork out 130-140 million dollars for 7 years of Choo that they shouldn't fork out 25 million dollars for 2 years of Cruz?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    At this point, maybe just get us a bonified CF leadoff either through trade or a remaining free agent. I'm not sold on Billy being ready yet, just my 2 cents.
    Agreed, it would seem foolish to commit money beyond 2014 through free agency to fix a (hopefully) temporary hole. Cruz could easily hit 15+ homers at GABP in a single season, but we need a short-term CF solution to give Billy more time in Louisville. Plus, Bruce is a heck of a RF, there's no need to throw him out of his comfort zone defensively.

Unfortunately there just aren't many good options that fit such a mold.

Prediction: Reds sign Nelson Cruz for 1 year and 7 million

13. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (12-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Reports are Rangers may move Rios to free up some cash for Tanaka. He isn't great, but he is a lot better defensively than Cruz, and is only signed for one year. He could probably play center for Cincy. Any interest in him?

That would be an excellent addition. Rios is also signed for a $13.5M option for 2015. He could then be used in LF alongside Hamilton.

Rios hit 18 homeruns last year and stole 42 bases so it's not like he could be acquired for nothing though.

Here is his contract:
    ■08:$0.735M, 09:$5.9M, 10:$9.7M, 11:$12M, 12:$12M, 13:$12.5M, 14:$12.5M, 15:$13.5M club option ($1M buyout)
    ■limited no-trade clause from 2011 to
    end of contract (may block deals to six clubs: Arizona, Colorado,
    Houston, Kansas City, NY Yankees, Oakland)
    ■if traded between beginning of 2011 season and Spring Training 2014, future salaries increase by $0.5M each
    ■if traded during 2014 season, 2015 option increases to $14M ($2M buyout)

15. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (12-31-2013)

Don't know how much to put into this, but wouldn't shock me if he did take a 1 year deal. If he did Cincy would make a lot of sense. Yet to make a big move this offseason for cincy, and for Cruz he could put up big numbers in GABP.

Nelson Cruz - OF - Rangers
    According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, there is speculation amongst general managers that Nelson Cruz could settle for a one-year contract in an attempt to rebuild his value.
    Cruz has reportedly been seeking a four-year, $75 million deal, but his market has been very slow to develop as teams are weary about his performance coming off his suspension for performance enhancing drugs. Taking a "pillow contract" to re-establish his value and then hit the free agent market again after the 2014 season would open up the list of teams interested in signing the 33-year-old outfielder, but would also be a sizable risk on his part as having an unproductive season would destroy his chances of a multi-year deal.
    Source: Boston Globe Jan 5 - 8:37 PM

Personally, I'd pass. If he didn't cost a draft pick he'd be worth a look but I wouldn't part with the pick for him if I was Jocketty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone C View Post
    Personally, I'd pass. If he didn't cost a draft pick he'd be worth a look but I wouldn't part with the pick for him if I was Jocketty.
    You make a good point. If you were to sign Cruz to a 1 year deal it would be a risk, but if he pans out you would be able to make a qualifying offer next offseason and get that pick back. With his history it is a major if though. Not sure if i would do it or not, but something to think about.

19. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-07-2014)

Instead of Cruz, why not take a chance on Trayvon Robinson or Fernando Martinez? Both are minor league free agents with low risk and break out potential.

21. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-07-2014)

Turn Off Ads?