Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Rotations

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: Top 10 Rotations

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    Wow. Just when I think you couldnt be more of a homer, you bring this
    Really? How is that being a homer? 3 guys that are ace material, another in Leake that is a very solid #4 or #5 and one of the better young guys in Cingrani. All he said is he COULD see being the best. Keep calling people a homer and you wont last long around here!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wow. Just when I think you couldnt be more of a homer, you bring this
    First, I have no apologies for being a homer. I would rather watch golf or kill myself (not sure what's worse) if I had to watch baseball from an objective point of view.

Second, what's is false about what. I said? And I didn't say that they had the best rotation. Just that it's very possible they could have the best rotation if everyone is healthy and one or two reach their potential during their prime years. It's a very reasonable statement.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

4. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-03-2014),Old school 1983 (01-03-2014),RedlegJake (01-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    We have different definitions of "solid control".
    Four had a walk rate between 2.2 and 2.7 per 9 innings. Cingrani had a respectable 3.7 walk rate. League average was 3.0. That's my definition.

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-03-2014),Old school 1983 (01-03-2014),RedlegJake (01-03-2014)

Pirates at #5? And above the Reds? They're insane

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Four had a walk rate between 2.2 and 2.7 per 9 innings. Cingrani had a respectable 3.7 walk rate. League average was 3.0. That's my definition.
    Arbitrary endpoints are arbitrary. I would call that slightly-above-average control.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Really? How is that being a homer? 3 guys that are ace material, another in Leake that is a very solid #4 or #5 and one of the better young guys in Cingrani. All he said is he COULD see being the best. Keep calling people a homer and you wont last long around here!!!
    Look at the Dodgers starrting pitching. Tigers. The Reds dont have 3 "aces"

Neither do the Dodgers or Tigers.

Care to show the post where I said they did?

I'd rather have Latos, Bailey, and Cueto than Scherzer, Verlander, and Sanchez.

I'd also take them over Kershaw, Greinke, and Ryu.

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    We have different definitions of "solid control".
    Bailey 59 walks in 209 IP
    Cueto 49 walks in 217 IP (2012 since 2013 was cut short)
    Leake 48 walks 192 IP
    Latos 58 walks in 211 IP
    Cingrani 43 walks in 105 IP but 10.6 K/9 as well

Any way you slice it - that IS solid control.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-04-2014)

The Reds DO have three guys who can match any team head to head. Plus #s 4 and 5. The Reds also have question marks with Cueto's health and consistency for Latos and Bailey. But on any given night I'll take their starter 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5 in matchups. The offense is the difference maker, speaking in a negative sense, not the Reds rotation.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I would take the Dodgers and Tigers starting pitching over ours.

I think people have been so conditioned to the Reds having no pitching, that 5 solid starters has people over-rating them. The Reds pitching is good and if the starters stay healthy at least long enough for a couple of the kids to round into solid replacements, the rotation should keep the team competitive. The thing is, the paradigm in baseball has shifted. Good teams have good pitching now. The days of 2 or 3 decent starters being enough are over. All the contenders can throw 5 guys out there that can shut you down. The Reds pitching means they aren't the Cubs or Astros, but to say it's an advantage over teams they are competing with like LA, Washington, Arizona, SF, St Louis etc is wrong. All of those staffs have 5 good starters. Pitching seems more abundant than ever. Power is the scarce commodity these days.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-04-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

RedlegJake (01-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think people have been so conditioned to the Reds having no pitching, that 5 solid starters has people over-rating them. The Reds pitching is good and if the starters stay healthy at least long enough for a couple of the kids to round into solid replacements, the rotation should keep the team competitive. The thing is, the paradigm in baseball has shifted. Good teams have good pitching now. The days of 2 or 3 decent starters being enough are over. All the contenders can throw 5 guys out there that can shut you down. The Reds pitching means they aren't the Cubs or Astros, but to say it's an advantage over teams they are competing with like LA, Washington, Arizona, SF, St Louis etc is wrong. All of those staffs have 5 good starters. Pitching seems more abundant than ever. Power is the scarce commodity these days.
    Exactly, which is why I said I'd take the Reds starters head-to-head against any team. It's the team with the better offense that will likely win the matchup. The Reds pitching will do the job - but will the offense score on top pitching? Even great staffs have trouble winning game after game 1-0, 2-1, 3-2. That isn't necessarily a failure of the starters - the difference is more likely that Reds pitchers face better, more balanced lineups than the other team's pitchers when they face the Reds. Everyone good has pitching, including the Reds. To take the next step, the offense has to be upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Exactly, which is why I said I'd take the Reds starters head-to-head against any team. It's the team with the better offense that will likely win the matchup. The Reds pitching will do the job - but will the offense score on top pitching? Even great staffs have trouble winning game after game 1-0, 2-1, 3-2. That isn't necessarily a failure of the starters - the difference is more likely that Reds pitchers face better, more balanced lineups than the other team's pitchers when they face the Reds. Everyone good has pitching, including the Reds. To take the next step, the offense has to be upgraded.
    That's why I'm frustrated. We've actually downgraded an offense that couldn't keep up last year.

Turn Off Ads?