Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Early NL Central predictions

Man Pills

Re: Early NL Central predictions

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    Wainwright, Garcia, Lynn, Kelly, Wacha, Miller, Rosenthal, Martinez, and Lyons could all start
    Could. You guys have 5 guarantees (Garcia is only a "guarantee" for the operating table), which puts you in a good spot, but there's really no reason to exaggerate. You guys have a great team, quit trying to gild the lily.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Could. You guys have 5 guarantees (Garcia is only a "guarantee" for the operating table), which puts you in a good spot, but there's really no reason to exaggerate. You guys have a great team, quit trying to gild the lily.
    I am not a Cards fan. The poster listed 9 guys that can be starters, Garcia was a starter on their team that played in the NLCS. Not really sure how I am exaggerating. Those guys can all start.

Man Pills

I am not a Cards fan. The poster listed 9 guys that can be starters, Garcia was a starter on their team that played in the NLCS. Not really sure how I am exaggerating. Those guys can all start.
    Jaime Garcia is more than likely toast. Is there another starter named Garcia? I know of no Garcia who pitched for the Cardinals in this past season's NLCS.

Jaime Garcia is more than likely toast. Is there another starter named Garcia? I know of no Garcia who pitched for the Cardinals in this past season's NLCS.
    2012. I am not sure how he comes back. Obviously they think he can since he is on the roster. I was just using that as he had to be "adequate" which the poster used.

Salukifan2

Wainwright, Garcia, Lynn, Kelly, Wacha, Miller, Rosenthal, Martinez, and Lyons could all start
    And Maness makes 10

Reds have

Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Leake
    Cingrani
    Chapman
    LeCure
    Simon
    Parra
    Hoover
    Holmberg
    Wang

As potential starters then
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds have

Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Leake
    Cingrani
    Chapman
    LeCure
    Simon
    Parra
    Hoover
    Holmberg
    Wang

I know you're kinda joking, but I've always maintained that I think the reds staff is currently the best. This is just about Sir Charles claiming that the cards rotation is ripe for failure which is more of a hope than it is a reality

The Reds, having only gotten a 70% return on their money under a Baker, and being by far the most talented (and underachieving) team in the NL, will run away with the Central under Price. 100 wins.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

10. Likes:

smixsell (01-10-2014)

Think the Central will be tough. Cubs and Brewers will be the cellar dwellers but they'll be better than last year. I think the Pirates will slip a bit but not a lot. The Cards will have a worse record than last year (that RISP was ridiculous and won't happen again and pitching and improvements on D won't overcome the difference) but they'll be the frontrunner.
    Cards 92-70
    Red 87-75
    Pirates 84-78
    Brewers 79-83
    Cubs 74-88

If nothing further is done that makes major changes to any of them...
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Based on advanced statistical analysis far too complicated to explain in a single post:

Reds 162-0
    Pirates 81-81
    Brewers 71-91
    Cubs 71-91
    Cardinals 0-162
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

13. Likes:

Red Raindog (12-28-2013)

Garcia will be in the rotation for as long as he can remain healthy. I don't have much confidence in him making a complete recovery. Tommy John surgery is one thing, but shoulder surgery is a completely different thing. My guess is that the Cardinals rotation at the start of the season will be Wainwright, Miller, Garcia, Lynn, and Wacha. Martinez will probably replace Garcia though.

Reds have

Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Leake
    Cingrani
    Chapman
    LeCure
    Simon
    Parra
    Hoover
    Holmberg
    Wang

Every time I see that name I think of Rodney Dangerfield. 'hey Wang, quit taking pictures, it's a parking lot'
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

16. Likes:

757690 (12-28-2013)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Reds have

Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Leake
    Cingrani
    Chapman
    LeCure
    Simon
    Parra
    Hoover
    Holmberg
    Wang

And I would make myself available too!
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Cards 92-70
    Reds 90-72
    Pirates 88-74
    Brewers 74-88
    Cubs 74-88 (I think they sign Tanaka, FWIW)
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

What basis are you predicting the huge drop off pitching wise? And they got much better defensively in the off season.
    Sophomore seasons from both Miller and Wacha. Hitters will adjust. And Joe Kelly is nowhere near as good as his 2013 numbers indicate.

As for defensively, you're right they did improve. But I'm far from sold on their starting IF and their corner OF'ers. IMO they've gone from horrible to average...maybe. Peralta's glove is pretty meh. Carpenter and Adams are pretty forgetable too at 3rd & 1st. Holiday is pretty average in left. Craig in right, I have no clue how he'll do out there (anybody know?). I'm sorry, that's simply not a good defensive club. If they can be an average defensive club it'll be a good season from them...but I doubt they can. Up the middle, considerable improvement with Ellis and Bourjos and of course Molina.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 12-28-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

20. Likes:

smixsell (01-10-2014)

Turn Off Ads?