Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 279

Thread: Black Monday Starts Early

  1. #256
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,668

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    KInda liked the two FA signings by the Browns in Whitner and Dansby.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #257
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,546

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    KInda liked the two FA signings by the Browns in Whitner and Dansby.
    Do you want the Bengals WR Andrew Hawkins? Apparently the Browns' brass does

  4. #258
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Do you want the Bengals WR Andrew Hawkins? Apparently the Browns' brass does
    Bengals are supposedly going to match.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  5. #259
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,668

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    Hawkins is a good WR..... but I'd love to see the Browns have the opportunity to draft Watkins. If he was still available when we have the 4th pick I'd take him over a QB. Just too talented. Use your pick further down to draft a QB. Gordon and Watkins would give us one of the best receiving corps in the league IMO.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  6. #260
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,546

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Hawkins is a good WR..... but I'd love to see the Browns have the opportunity to draft Watkins. If he was still available when we have the 4th pick I'd take him over a QB. Just too talented. Use your pick further down to draft a QB. Gordon and Watkins would give us one of the best receiving corps in the league IMO.
    In today's NFL WR corps consist of more than 2 guys. In you're going to make the statement "one of the best receiving corps in the league" then you'd have to give us 5 or 6 names

  7. #261
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,668

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    In today's NFL WR corps consist of more than 2 guys. In you're going to make the statement "one of the best receiving corps in the league" then you'd have to give us 5 or 6 names
    Wide Receivers? Teams may have 5 or 6 WRs on the roster, but I'm talking about starters, guys who will put up 1,000+ yds in receiving, and that ain't 5 or 6. It's usually duos.....

    Bengals - Green, Jones.... Cardinals - Fitzgerald, Floyd ... Denver - Thomas, Welker. And so on.

    Take a look at the teams with the best WR corp in the NFL, and you'll see that maxed out at three..... http://www.profootballrosters.com/20...ceiving-corps/

    Josh Gordon's numbers speak for themselves. You put Sammy Watkins on that line with him and see if that doesn't make defenses worry. Scary.

    And if you had a WR tandem like that, IMO, it's going to help open things up, and improve, the other receivers. Little had an off year (around 500 yds receiving); but he is still a talent. So was WR Benjamin (until he got hurt). And another one I'm going to have my eye on next year is rookie Charles Johnson.

    As far as TE's go.... Jordan Cameron was one of the best last year.

    So overall .... if the Browns could get Watkins, they could have one of the best receiving corps in the NFL IMO.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  8. #262
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445
    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Wide Receivers? Teams may have 5 or 6 WRs on the roster, but I'm talking about starters, guys who will put up 1,000+ yds in receiving, and that ain't 5 or 6. It's usually duos.....

    Bengals - Green, Jones.... Cardinals - Fitzgerald, Floyd ... Denver - Thomas, Welker. And so on.

    Take a look at the teams with the best WR corp in the NFL, and you'll see that maxed out at three..... http://www.profootballrosters.com/20...ceiving-corps/

    Josh Gordon's numbers speak for themselves. You put Sammy Watkins on that line with him and see if that doesn't make defenses worry. Scary.

    And if you had a WR tandem like that, IMO, it's going to help open things up, and improve, the other receivers. Little had an off year (around 500 yds receiving); but he is still a talent. So was WR Benjamin (until he got hurt). And another one I'm going to have my eye on next year is rookie Charles Johnson.

    As far as TE's go.... Jordan Cameron was one of the best last year.

    So overall .... if the Browns could get Watkins, they could have one of the best receiving corps in the NFL IMO.
    Just need someone who can get them the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  9. #263
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,668

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Just need someone who can get them the ball.
    Absolutely. I like Hoyer, but the Browns are probably going to end up using that #4 pick on a QB. For some reason they are really high on Johnny M. I'm not. I'd still take Watkins, and use my lower 1st round, or even lower pick, on a QB. I bet you could get AJ (Alabama) or that kid from N. Illinois. And the talk right now is that the Browns are quite serious in trying to get Shaub from the Texans.... http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...erious_po.html

    But I like what they have done so far in the FA market. Just signed Texan RB Ben Tate and AZ TE Jim Dray.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  10. #264
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,546

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    Yes, the Browns may have won the 2014 Super Bowl of free agency (Tampa Bay is up there too) just like Miami did last year, Buffalo in 2012, Philadelphia in 2011, Detroit in 2010 and yes the Browns in 2008. In fact this is what was written about the Browns at this point in 2008:

    The Browns were a 10-win team in 2007, just like AFC North champion Pittsburgh. With the Steelers making no real noise thus far, it seems to me the Browns have closed the gap on Pittsburgh and then some. That makes Cleveland the team to beat in its division
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ead-to-success

  11. #265
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,668

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    So what is your point? LOL

    It's not like I came out and made some bold proclamation that the Browns were gonna win the division or make it to the SB. I just like the aggressiveness of this new owner in the current FA market leading up to the draft. So don't try to read too much into it. Because I'm not.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  12. #266
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Absolutely. I like Hoyer, but the Browns are probably going to end up using that #4 pick on a QB. For some reason they are really high on Johnny M. I'm not. I'd still take Watkins, and use my lower 1st round, or even lower pick, on a QB. I bet you could get AJ (Alabama) or that kid from N. Illinois. And the talk right now is that the Browns are quite serious in trying to get Shaub from the Texans.... http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...erious_po.html

    But I like what they have done so far in the FA market. Just signed Texan RB Ben Tate and AZ TE Jim Dray.
    I thought Lombardi was the only one high on Johnny Football and he is gone now.

    There will be some options available. I wouldn't be shocked if Cleveland takes the first QB the way things are going.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  13. #267
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    So what is your point? LOL

    It's not like I came out and made some bold proclamation that the Browns were gonna win the division or make it to the SB. I just like the aggressiveness of this new owner in the current FA market leading up to the draft. So don't try to read too much into it. Because I'm not.
    I've noticed number of my Browns fan friends falling back into their default position of excessive optimism. So you have an owner who bought the team, hired a whole new front office and coaching staff, had a bad year, then completely changed the front office and the coaching staff. Now, because the Browns have made some notable free agent signings, everyone seems to have faith that they're heading in the right direction. Maybe it's the Bengals fan experience, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the Jimmy Haslam bandwagon just yet. To me it seems like they're just throwing money at free agents hoping to please the fan base without a real team building plan. I guess we'll see if they have a plan after the draft.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  14. #268
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,668

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I've noticed number of my Browns fan friends falling back into their default position of excessive optimism. So you have an owner who bought the team, hired a whole new front office and coaching staff, had a bad year, then completely changed the front office and the coaching staff. Now, because the Browns have made some notable free agent signings, everyone seems to have faith that they're heading in the right direction. Maybe it's the Bengals fan experience, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the Jimmy Haslam bandwagon just yet. To me it seems like they're just throwing money at free agents hoping to please the fan base without a real team building plan. I guess we'll see if they have a plan after the draft.
    I understand what you're saying/getting at, and agree...... but I'm not on anyone's bandwagon. I'm still waiting to see what they do in the draft. But I do like some of the guys (talent) they have recently acquired in FA. I don't think it's was done to simply throw money at some players and thus please (maybe fool) the fans. These guys do fill legitimate needs IMO.

    But I'm an idiot.... so it's easy to maintain my optimism and hopefulness.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  15. #269
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,546

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    So what is your point? LOL

    It's not like I came out and made some bold proclamation that the Browns were gonna win the division or make it to the SB. I just like the aggressiveness of this new owner in the current FA market leading up to the draft. So don't try to read too much into it. Because I'm not.
    No question you are much more realistic than the avg Browns fan

  16. #270
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,173

    Re: Black Monday Starts Early

    One thing that was smart about signing Hawkins to the contract they did, by paying the majority of the cash in years 1 & 2, they're "wasting" cap space in years where they weren't likely to be competitive anyway. If Hawkins pans out, he's signed for cheap contract in the last two years and won't prevent them from adding functional pieces when they're going to be more competitive.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25