Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Black Monday Starts Early

Re: Black Monday Starts Early

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No question you are much more realistic than the avg Browns fan
    How many average Brown fans do you know? I know many, and they aren't much different from me. Oh sure, there are those fans who are real A-holes when it comes to their team.... their team can do know wrong, don't say nothing bad about MY team (players), and they make excuses for them, etc, etc..... there is no sense of objectivity when one tries to talk to them. My uncle, whom I love immensely, is one such character when it comes to the Bengals. I'm a member of both a Browns and Bengals forum. I see little difference in their fan bases. But you're always going to have those rabid, unrealistic, fans.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    How many average Brown fans do you know? I know many, and they aren't much different from me. Oh sure, there are those fans who are real A-holes when it comes to their team.... their team can do know wrong, don't say nothing bad about MY team (players), and they make excuses for them, etc, etc..... there is no sense of objectivity when one tries to talk to them. My uncle, whom I love immensely, is one such character when it comes to the Bengals. I'm a member of both a Browns and Bengals forum. I see little difference in their fan bases. But you're always going to have those rabid, unrealistic, fans.
    In my experience the difference between Browns fans and Steeler fans is that the Steeler fans have had a team where they can back up what they say. I don't get where Browns fans get off talking smack about their team. As I posted earlier there was that writer in the Plain Dealer stating that Jason Campbell is an elite QB. I wonder what she's writing now that the Browns have released that elite QB...

I've lived in the home Browns territory most of my life, 1/2 hour from Browns Stadium and I can assure you the majority of Browns fans I know have always been a bit overly optimistic when it comes to the Browns. I know quite a few who believe the Browns would have made the playoffs had Hoyer not gotten injured. For the past few weeks I've been dealing with water cooler talk about how the Browns are now playoff contenders based on their free agent signings and the fact that they have a bunch of draft picks. Now I know some realists as well, but they are outnumbered by the optimists. The optimists are necessarily jerks about it. They just have a lot of blind faith in the team. I would contrast this with most of the Bengals fans I know, who tend to be pessimistic about their team. I know quite a few people who are convinced the Bengals will never win a playoff game as long as Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis are in charge. Both fan bases are f lipsides of the same coin. Neither is able to objectively evaluate their favorite team. They just diverge in how positive or negative they evaluate their team.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

In my experience the difference between Browns fans and Steeler fans is that the Steeler fans have had a team where they can back up what they say. I don't get where Browns fans get off talking smack about their team. As I posted earlier there was that writer in the Plain Dealer stating that Jason Campbell is an elite QB. I wonder what she's writing now that the Browns have released that elite QB...
    And we have dealt with her in a previous post you made. Why do you keep bringing her up? She's one writer.... a paid beat writer doing her job as a walking PR commercial for the team. Her main job is to promote the Browns at all cost. A majority of Brown fans don't take her seriously. Do you think these types of writers only exist with the Browns, and not within any other professional sports organizations? I can give you the names of other sports writers in the area that have been very critical of this team, and do a pretty good job of nailing/critiquing what the problems are. And we can name some Cincy sports writers that "brown-nose" the Cincy teams because their job is all about promotion.

There is always that segment of fans that love to talk smack. You're trying to promote this perception that somehow that Brown fans are in some sort of elite club. And they aren't. Sure, if you live in Cleveland there is that atmosphere of pride and loyalty. And yes, some take it too far. I see that also in Cincinnati. Everyone is running around with the Reds/Bengals stuff on just like in Cleveland it's the Browns/Indians/ Cavs. I'll be at Red's OD, just like I have in the past, and there is always those fans (thanks to alcohol) who will be talking smack before the first pitch is thrown. These fans are everywhere.

Are you a member of a Brown's forum anywhere? I've belonged to two for years. The overwhelming majority of those fans on there are not smack talkers. Loyal fans? Yes. Optimistic? Yes. What else have they got to hold onto? They're too busy being preoccupied with being angry at this organization (FO, management), and wondering when they are going to get their collective butts out of their head.

I live in central Ohio, and this region of the state, as well as at work, is saturated with Brown fans. There are also a lot of Bengal fans too. And the majority of Brown fans, when we talk, while loyal, laugh at this team, shake our heads, and keep our fingers crossed wondering what the immediate future holds. Will this team ever put it all together?

This past season, at work, the Bengal fans on line were some of the biggest smack talkers. They'd deride us Brown fans, how bad our team is -which is true - then brag about how they were on the "road to the Super Bowl". Needless to say, we celebrated with some glee when they made their first round exit.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I've lived in the home Browns territory most of my life, 1/2 hour from Browns Stadium and I can assure you the majority of Browns fans I know have always been a bit overly optimistic when it comes to the Browns. I know quite a few who believe the Browns would have made the playoffs had Hoyer not gotten injured. For the past few weeks I've been dealing with water cooler talk about how the Browns are now playoff contenders based on their free agent signings and the fact that they have a bunch of draft picks. Now I know some realists as well, but they are outnumbered by the optimists. The optimists are necessarily jerks about it. They just have a lot of blind faith in the team. I would contrast this with most of the Bengals fans I know, who tend to be pessimistic about their team. I know quite a few people who are convinced the Bengals will never win a playoff game as long as Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis are in charge. Both fan bases are f lipsides of the same coin. Neither is able to objectively evaluate their favorite team. They just diverge in how positive or negative they evaluate their team.
    Absolutely true.

My brother, a die-hard Bengals fan, is one who holds to what you mention above about never winning a play-off game as long as Lewis is the coach. But on the flip-side, I have several family members, including an uncle who I play golf with regularly, who, I guess, would fit right in in Cleveland because they have no objectivity, talk smack when they can..... their team can do no wrong, and don't you talk bad about MY team. And of course they love to deride /lampoon us family members who are Brown fans... and that's usually when my brother, the Bengal fan, chimes in "Yeah! But we haven't won a play-off game in how many years???" LOL

But there is always going to be that tension here in Ohio between Brown and Bengal fans.

But there is always going to be that tension here in Ohio between Brown and Bengal fans.
    Tension? It's called a rivalry and there's nothing wrong with that

Tension? It's called a rivalry and there's nothing wrong with that
    I never said there was anything wrong with it. And while, sure, it's a rivalry, it also goes beyond that between many Bengal and Brown fans, and it has to do with the Paul Brown variable.

I never said there was anything wrong with it. And while, sure, it's a rivalry, it also goes beyond that between many Bengal and Brown fans, and it has to do with the Paul Brown variable.
    Would have liked to have seen Mike Brown offer Mack a contract just to mess with the Browns. Though I love the Mike Pollack signing and the Kyle Cook release.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The one thing I share with my Browns brethren is our absolute distaste for the Steelers. Obnoxious fans, of which there are a surprising amount even in my neighborhood. I enjoy hanging out with them and having a few beers most of the year. But once football season starts I want nothing to do with them. I've blocked friends on social media just because I got tired of them messaging me with "We Dey" when the Steelers do anything good against the Bengals.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?