Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday Starts Early

Re: Black Monday Starts Early

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Did they expect this guy, as well his coaching staff, to turn this team around, seeing it's glaring weaknesses on the offensive side? While I had no problem with the trade, they still traded away any resemblance of a RB in Richardson and replaced him with what? They have no QB. And the only one who did give us any hope, though, IMO, wasn't our QB of the future, was Hoyer who had a season-ending injury.

These are two very important pieces, and yet it wasn't Chud's fault for the most part.

A year ago CEO Banner was touting Chudzinski as one of the bright young coaches in the NFL and claimed they had their eye on him for quite some time.

Now they are saying they made a mistake after only one season?? I realize that is a possibility, but it's more an indictment, IMO, of this FO and their lack of oversight and in their decision-making and evaluation skills when it comes to hiring him in the first place. And it sure doesn't give me much confidence in their decision-making going forward looking for a replacement.

I'm beginning to think there is far more to this. That there was something going on "behind the scenes" between Chud and Banner. And maybe it had a lot to do with the direction they wanted to go in the upcoming draft .... they didn't see eye to eye on a very important draft that is a turning point for this organization.

IMO, it can't solely be just because this team finished so poorly. In the last 14 years this team has had only two winning seasons. And other than that it has been dreadful. The majority of Brown fans I know, even with the new ownership and coaching staff, felt we'd still be lucky to win 6 games at best because of simply trying to learn a new system. This FO can't be that blind, even with the talent that emerged on the offense, to the HUGE holes they had in crucial positions on offense and that until they were addressed this team had an uphill battle this season.

You just don't fire a coach you were so high on after his initial season. I think there was some "in-fighting" going on.... and Chud lost! Why else wouldn't you give the coach at least one more year?
    Albert Breer reported this AM that there was a disagreement between mgmt and coach. Mgmt wanted Chud to release either (Little or Weeden, I think it was Little) and Chud refused. They looked at this as a failure to hold players acountable and decided to let Chud go.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Shanahan fired according to Mike Jones.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Or the NFL could do what they did with the Bengals. I seem to recall them putting serious pressure on the Bengals to interview Marvin Lewis. The official reason was to comply with the Rooney rule to interview minority candidates, but I think part of it was to save Mike Brown from himself at a time when he was stuck on the idea of hiring coaches with a Bengals connection. Before interviewing Lewis, I believe Brown was leaning toward hiring Dick Jauron.

Actually I think a good choice for the Browns might be to stay in house and hire Ray Horton. The Browns' D has been good under his watch and he was a candidate for the Cardinals job when he got passed over for Bruce Arians.
    I have no idea if this is actually true, but the story I've always heard is that Mike wanted to hire Tom Caughlin, he thought the team really needed a tough disciplinarian as a head coach. Katie really wanted to hire Marvin; Pumpkin won out. I don't recall any Bengals connection with Caughlin.

6. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I have no idea if this is actually true, but the story I've always heard is that Mike wanted to hire Tom Caughlin, he thought the team really needed a tough disciplinarian as a head coach. Katie really wanted to hire Marvin; Pumpkin won out. I don't recall any Bengals connection with Caughlin.
    That is my recollection as well

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm guessing Shannahan, Schwartz, Munchak, Frazier, and Chudzinski all get walking papers. I'm not sure about Joe Philbin and Dennis Allen, it would seem to depend on the security of their GM. And I see Schiano running back to college.
    I'm literally giddy with anticipation over Greg Schiano being fired.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

9. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (12-30-2013)

I heard it was Mike Mularkey that Mike wanted to hire because he was an offensive-minded coach, but Katie won out with Marvin.

Winning is fun.

Coughlin came into the interview with a plan that included spending more in the front office (scouts, etc.) and that turned Mikey off.

My favorite "Stat of the Day" --

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: 3 coaches since 1969
    CLEVELAND BROWNS: 3 coaches since 2012
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Coughlin came into the interview with a plan that included spending more in the front office (scouts, etc.) and that turned Mikey off.
    That is correct. The three candidates were Coughlin, Marvin, and Mularky and Coughlin eliminated himself with those (not unreasonable) demands. It was then reported MB wanted to hire Mularky, but Katie and/or the NFL convinced him to hire Marvin.

GAC...this is a fascinating situation to me, and I think both sides have points to be made.

But you keep beating the drum about trading away Trent Richardson leaving the Browns without a decent RB. I would argue he isn't a decent RB and the Browns running game really wasn't hurt all that much by his departure. He averaged 2.9 YPC with the Colts.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    GAC...this is a fascinating situation to me, and I think both sides have points to be made.

But you keep beating the drum about trading away Trent Richardson leaving the Browns without a decent RB. I would argue he isn't a decent RB and the Browns running game really wasn't hurt all that much by his departure. He averaged 2.9 YPC with the Colts.
    The Browns gave up on Richardson and then signed McGahee to replace him. I don't think drafting a RB in the top 5 is a good idea nor do I know if Richardson will ever be a good RB, but they traded him early and decided to scower the scrap heap to find another RB.

The organization wanted Chud to part ways with Wheedon while at the same time they were signing a YouTube trick artist to be their backup QB. Really?

Greg Schiano and GM Mark Dominik fired in Tampa.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Browns gave up on Richardson and then signed McGahee to replace him. I don't think drafting a RB in the top 5 is a good idea nor do I know if Richardson will ever be a good RB, but they traded him early and decided to scower the scrap heap to find another RB.

The organization wanted Chud to part ways with Wheedon while at the same time they were signing a YouTube trick artist to be their backup QB. Really?
    I agree with this. But to me, if you are slamming the regime...you can't really knock them at all for the TRich trade, that's all. As for the trick artist...it was pretty much moot to me...at the halfway point it was obvious they were going to ride the season out with Campbell (which should be the true matter of discussion) and Tanney was just signed to be the backup and/or 3rd string.

What I am not understanding is why if the FO wanted Little or Weeden gone...why didn't they just make the call and cut them? Its not like Chud had final say on the roster.

Jim Schwartz is fired.

Tampa is rumored to be interested in Lovie Smith.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Turn Off Ads?