Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday Starts Early

Re: Black Monday Starts Early

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    But you keep beating the drum about trading away Trent Richardson leaving the Browns without a decent RB. I would argue he isn't a decent RB and the Browns running game really wasn't hurt all that much by his departure. He averaged 2.9 YPC with the Colts.
    My point is ... and yes, I'm slamming the FO ... but not for the TR trade per say ... but that this FO didn't do anything to improve the team, knew what they had going into 2013, and even worsened the situation as far as this year went. And that was compounded even further with the huge question mark (revolving door) at QB.

Now in their defense it can be said that this was a new owner and upper management that inherited the "sins" of the previous ownership. And they were still getting their "feet wet" in evaluating what they had, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and trying to determine what direction to take.

So it's not their fault they inherited a badly flawed team. But it's not the fault of that new coaching staff either. They were the ones that were given the task of not only developing a scheme with these current players ... which was an uphill battle ... but also in moving this team forward into the future

And it should be noted ... it wasn't just management's decision to trade TR. Chud, and the coaching staff, were instrumental in that too because they felt he wasn't the style of RB for their scheme.

So this FO knew it was going to be an uphill battle for ANY coaching staff, especially a first year one, to successfully implement their plan, or show any side of marked improvement, when you're being forced to use players you inherited that don't fit that scheme, and whether through injury or trade you're forced to use players from the Island Of Misfit Toys in key positions.

They simply weren't being fair to a coaching staff that wasn't given the time to acquire those players to complement/implement whatever scheme they had.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Around week 4 the Browns front office pretty much said to Chud, go out there and win games but we are looking forward to the 2014 draft. IMO it was dysfunction at the top that put the players on the field in 2014. Remember when the Browns were shopping Gordon? How can you do all of that and then say, well you didn't win enough games this season, see ya!
    Exactly.

The FO made this statement after firing Chud ....

"We needed to see progress with this football team. We needed to see development and improvement as the season evolved and, unfortunately, we took a concerning step backward in the second half of the year.... When we believed we were not positioned to achieve significant progress in 2014, we knew we had to admit that a change was needed, and move forward."
    It's a dodge. Going into this new season, and looking at the situation that not only this FO was facing, but also the newly hired coaching staff, they can't really believe (expected) the above IMO. With Hoyer as QB they looked like a completely different team, and were winning, more competitive. When Hoyer went down with injury .... and that's not Chud's fault .... and they had to return to either Weeden, and then insert Campbell, we were done.

What progress did they expect to see from this team this year, especially on the offensive side, when you went into the season basically with the status quo? It's hilarious.

I simply think, over the course of the year, that some deep philosophical divisions developed between Chud and management over players and direction .... and upper management used the 4-12 record as a cover to cut bait on the guy.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-31-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

What progress did they expect to see from this team this year, especially on the offensive side, when you went into the season basically with the status quo? It's hilarious.

I simply think, over the course of the year, that some deep philosophical divisions developed between Chud and management over players and direction .... and upper management used the 4-12 record as a cover to cut bait on the guy.
    What progress? Just look at the 2013 schedule and see where their wins came from. They came early. They were horrible at the end of the season. They were much worse in week 17 than they were when they beat the Bengals. That's called regression, not progress. If they'd finished the season like the Steelers did, I think that coaching staff would have a better argument to keep their jobs

In regards to Cleveland it seems like you fire Chud if you have a great coach lined up to take his place. However some of the names I hear in the rumor mill connected with the job seem like a horizontal move from Chud. So why not give him another yr.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Bill O'Brien takes the Houston Texans job.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    And torches PSU on his way out: http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index...der_arriv.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

This wouldve been a great hire for that other football team in Texas (the one with its own network).

Edit: Actually, after reading the link in dabvu's post, I think O'Brien's head might explode if he had to deal with the Longhorn circus daily.
    Last edited by jojo; 01-01-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What progress?
    I didn't say they made progress did I? I was lambasting a FO that somehow expected it, and sighted the lack of progress as reasoning for firing the coach. IMO, those were unreasonable expectations for a team, especially on the offensive side (there were some additions on defense) that basically went into this season the same from last year. They traded away their starting RB for a first round draft pick after week #2 - no problem there - but it didn't improve the team and even worsened the situation.

Just look at the 2013 schedule and see where their wins came from. They came early. They were horrible at the end of the season. They were much worse in week 17 than they were when they beat the Bengals. That's called regression, not progress. If they'd finished the season like the Steelers did, I think that coaching staff would have a better argument to keep their jobs
    The Browns started the season 0-2 with Weeden at QB. Their offense sucked. They scored a total of 16 points in those first two games. Weeden gets hurt. They then run off three straight wins and why? Primarily because of Hoyer at QB (he got hurt in the Buffalo game). But this was a totally different team with Hoyer at QB. He gave us hope. That hope vanished when he went down for the season.

You call it regression because we went back to a QB (Weeden) whose career W-L record is 6-16? He's thrown more INTs then TDs in his NFL career, and his QBR is 26.2. He finds more ways to lose games then win due to his bad decision-making ... that bone-head ugly shovel pass that was intercepted at the end of the Detroit game when we were driving and down only by a TD made the highlight reels. (LOL)

When they were forced to put Weeden back in that's when a majority of Brown fans starting pronouncing his name "WE DONE!" (LOL)

And when they finally decided to bench his butt after the GB game and use Campbell that was basically a desperation move because Weeden's performance, as well as Hoyer's injury, gave them no choice in the matter. Remember - they passed over Campbell on the depth chart to play Hoyer. So that tells you what this coaching staff thought of Campbell.

So explain how were were suppose to continue to show improvement, and not regress, not only under that scenario, but also with a running game that was worsened in comparison to 2012?

I said earlier in the season that this offense would make our defense look bad simply by all the 3-and-outs, turnovers, and keeping your defense on the field. And by the second half of the season they'd be one tired and worn out unit.

I "liken" this firing, in a way, to the Reds firing Baker. I liked Dusty, but had no problem with them firing him. I, as a majority of Brown fans, liked Chud and his coaching staff. Just as the Red's FO is now under pressure to acquire players to fill some huge voids in key spots - hiring a new coach ain't going to do it IMO ....this Brown's FO is under the same scrutiny IMO.

I still believe we're on the right track. We got a good defense, and we've got some quality talent on the offensive side too.

We just need a QB and a RB! LOL

9. Likes:

jimbo (01-01-2014), Revering4Blue (01-01-2014)

Kiffin fired by Jerry.
    Most Cowboy fans I know wish somebody would fire Jerry. They are still furious that defensive coordinator Rob Ryan was allowed to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    FWIW, Don Shula gave Philbin a vote of confidence.
    Regis?

In regards to Cleveland it seems like you fire Chud if you have a great coach lined up to take his place. However some of the names I hear in the rumor mill connected with the job seem like a horizontal move from Chud. So why not give him another yr.
    I think, as the season progressed, huge philosophical differences (arguments) came to the surface as to certain players and direction.

That's the only thing I can make of (interpret) this FO now saying they "made a mistake".

Just another mistake on the Lake!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I never thought in million years I would ever come to say this, but I think I'm finished wasting good portions of my life rooting the Browns. How do you ask any coach to come into that circus by the lake and give him only a year to fix it? If they are truly firing Chudzinski, then I've lost any amount of respect that I had left for the organization. The NFL should do the city and the rest of the league a favor and blow up the stadium and and retire the franchise.
    I feel your pain buddy... but don't give up on them yet. Give'em one more year!

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    PSU is a mess right now and O'Brien jumped ship at the right time. I think he should have chosen Detroit but not sure he was in the discussion there.

I gotta get me one of these.

http://teespring.com/threestooges

Cleveland now has Vanderbilt coach Franklin and Auburn coach Malzahn on their wish list.

PSU is a mess right now and O'Brien jumped ship at the right time. I think he should have chosen Detroit but not sure he was in the discussion there.
    They did a lot better there than I thought they would.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?