Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday Starts Early

Re: Black Monday Starts Early

Hopefully Bill O can break the curse set by Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, and Josh McDaniels.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Hopefully Bill O can break the curse set by Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, and Josh McDaniels.
    Curse or coordinator is their ceiling? I'd quit fishing off the Bellicheck peer.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-01-2014),Tom Servo (01-01-2014)

I don't see how the Bengals don't lose Zimmer this offseason. Someone has to give him a chance as a HC. There's too many openings for it not to happen.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I don't see how the Bengals don't lose Zimmer this offseason. Someone has to give him a chance as a HC. There's too many openings for it not to happen.
    I thought the Browns might make another run at him but I haven't heard Zimmer's name come up anywhere yet. Of course it could be because the Bengals have games left to play. It will be interesting to see which jobs are still open when the Bengals are done. I wonder if Mike Brown lets Zimmer interview with other teams during the playoffs if the Bengals make a deep run.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Cleveland said they won't interview any of the candidates they interviewed last year.

Also, it may be an NFL rule that Zimmer can't interview while the Bengals are alive. I think only coaches on teams that have byes can interview before their teams are done

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Possibly but I don't think we're done seeing college openings either. NFL teams are looking for more outside the box thinking and that doesn't come from longtime NFL coordinators.

My take:

Washington: Needs to develop RGIII and will likely go with someone who has some familiarity with the read option. Could be Art Briles (if he doesn't go to Texas) or Kevin Sumlin from the college ranks or Greg Roman or Darrell Bevell from the NFL.

Minnesota: Probably the second worst job outside of Cleveland. I actually wouldn't be shocked if Jay Gruden ends up here though. Someone who can develop QB's and Gruden could either keep Ponder or draft someone like Manziel. Darrell Bevell is the other one being mentioned.

Cleveland: I seriously think this will be Josh McDaniels, although the thought of Malzahn is intriguing.

Detroit: I could see this being a landing spot for Zimmer, although they could go with an offensive mind. Todd Bowles from Arizona could be another player for this job.

Tampa Bay: Lovie Smith. I'd be shocked if it's anybody else. They want to return to the Tampa 2 ways and Lovie is the second best fit after Dungy.

Houston: I know they hired O'Brien already, but Houston IMO is the most likely team to contend right away. They need a franchise QB who can put fans in the seats and Bridgewater can do that, and he also has the weapons (Foster, Johnson, Hopkins) to be successful and compete in a relatively weak AFC South.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-01-2014)

Malzahn isn't going to Cleveland.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Is it weird that I won't really be that disappointed if Jay Gruden winds up leaving? I really don't know why he's even a candidate for a HC job. Not that he's done a bad job, but I don't see what he's done that would warrant that kind of promotion.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

12. Likes:

Benihana (01-02-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Cleveland said they won't interview any of the candidates they interviewed last year.

Also, it may be an NFL rule that Zimmer can't interview while the Bengals are alive. I think only coaches on teams that have byes can interview before their teams are done
    Josh McDaniels seems to be the favorite, but it seems like his big selling point, other than working with Belicheck is that he's from Northeast Ohio. Seems like growing up a Browns fan didn't work out so well for Chud. I'd be interested to see why they think McDaniels would be different. The Browns always seem fixated on guys with ties to Belicheck or Northern Ohio. Maybe they need to cast a wider net. One name a Browns fan friend threw out there was talking to Jim Tressel. I don't know how successful he'd be but that kind of hire would immediately fire up the fan base and would fulfill their apparent requirement that the coach have some connection to Northeast Ohio.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Lovie Smith to Tampa is a done deal according to ESPN.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Josh McDaniels seems to be the favorite, but it seems like his big selling point, other than working with Belicheck is that he's from Northeast Ohio. Seems like growing up a Browns fan didn't work out so well for Chud. I'd be interested to see why they think McDaniels would be different. The Browns always seem fixated on guys with ties to Belicheck or Northern Ohio. Maybe they need to cast a wider net. One name a Browns fan friend threw out there was talking to Jim Tressel. I don't know how successful he'd be but that kind of hire would immediately fire up the fan base and would fulfill their apparent requirement that the coach have some connection to Northeast Ohio.
    Forget the NE Ohio stuff. The majority of Browns fans don't care about where a guy is from. McDaniels is Lombardi's boy. That is why they are pursuing him.

I thought he was immature and over his head in Denver. But if the Browns land him, this blurb consoles me a bit.

http://nesn.com/2013/12/tom-brady-wa...fensive-coach/

“I have so much respect for him and what he does for me, what he does for our team,” Brady said on WEEI’s Dennis & Callahan on Monday. “He’s just a great coach. He’s got a lot of poise. He’s got a lot of disciple. I hope he doesn’t go anywhere. I’d love for him to coach me the rest of my life. But that’s just the way it is. He’s one of my best friends, and I love having him.”

McDaniels is in his second stint with the Patriots (2001-2008 and 2011-present) after failing to find success during two seasons as head coach of the Denver Broncos and a short stopover as the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams. McDaniels was the Patriots’ offensive coordinator for five seasons (2006-2008 and 2012-2013), and during those years, Brady was arguably at his best.

Brady won one of his two MVP awards and threw 133 of his 359 career touchdowns under McDaniels’ watch. McDaniels was also the offensive coordinator during the Patriots’ historic 2007 season, when Brady threw a then-record 50 touchdown passes. Brady has thrived especially since McDaniels returned as offensive coordinator last season, throwing for more than 9,000 yards, 59 touchdowns and just 19 interceptions over the last two seasons.

“Josh is the best offensive coach I could ever imagine,” Brady said. “He’s so prepared. He’s so confident in what he does. He figures out a way each week to get us in the best position as players to win.”

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Forget the NE Ohio stuff. The majority of Browns fans don't care about where a guy is from. McDaniels is Lombardi's boy. That is why they are pursuing him.

I thought he was immature and over his head in Denver. But if the Browns land him, this blurb consoles me a bit.

http://nesn.com/2013/12/tom-brady-wa...fensive-coach/
    I don't think Browns fans care where a guy comes from if he can win. It's more of a front office fixation that has persisted from Lerner to Haslem.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't think Browns fans care where a guy comes from if he can win. It's more of a front office fixation that has persisted from Lerner to Haslem.
    Eh, Chud was anywhere from their 6th-10th choice from what I've heard. Once they settled on him of course they hyped it up. Lombardi has always been a Josh McD fan. Those are more coincidental circumstances rather than "pursuing an Ohio guy".

Lerner's regime is dead to me...couldn't care less.

To be fair I did think you were referring to Browns fans, as I think that is how your final sentence grammatically read. Picky, I guess.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I was pretty critical of McDaniels at Denver -- like a lot of young hotshot coaches who had only worked for successful coaches and winning organizations, he seemed to think he knew everything there was to know. Sometimes these guys are really smart, just not quite as brilliant as they thought they were, and a dose of humility wises them up and they're better the second time around. He'll probably get another chance somewhere, if not Cleveland.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Sometimes these guys are really smart, just not quite as brilliant as they thought they were, and a dose of humility wises them up and they're better the second time around.
    And other times they're this guy.

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

BillDoran (01-02-2014),Revering4Blue (01-02-2014)

Turn Off Ads?