Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday Starts Early

Re: Black Monday Starts Early

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I don't see how the Bengals don't lose Zimmer this offseason. Someone has to give him a chance as a HC. There's too many openings for it not to happen.
    I guess the Vikings are going to interview him .... http://thevikingage.com/2013/12/31/v...r-mike-zimmer/

Browns expected to hire Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator, according to report .... http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...whtO4QMFJKo.99

AS far as any head coach candidates goes, it's worth noting that Brown's owner Haslam is a Tennessee booster and huge follower of the SEC. Iw ouldn't be surprised if our next head coach comes from that conference .....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...andys-franklin

Malzahn, who will compete for the national title next week, is viewed by some as the candidate who has most captured the imagination of the organization right now, and, while he has flown under the radar of most NFL coaching searches to this point, he is very much under consideration by the Browns. Malzahn coaches in the SEC, which Browns owner Jimmy Haslam follows very closely as a Tennessee booster. This season Malzahn's Tigers beat Alabama, coached by Nick Saban, who is held in very high regard by the Browns front office.

Franklin coaches within the state of Tennessee, obviously catching Haslam's eye, and he was a successful NFL position coach at Green Bay as well. That combination has made him attractive to several teams, and league sources anticipate him getting consideration elsewhere as well.

Josh McDaniels has strong ties to some in the organization but would have to impress team president Joe Banner during the interview process to land the job. McDaniels is an Ohio native and has had great success on the offensive side of the ball, where the Browns must improve.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-02-2014 at 07:35 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I gotta get me one of these.

http://teespring.com/threestooges
    Or one of these .......

"panic" only comes from having real expectations

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't think 53 is too old to make the jump to the NFL.
    It's too old to radically change yourself to the NFL lifestyle if you've never had ANY experience with it (as a coordinator or a positions coach even). You're trading hours schmoozing alums and pitching high school kids for hours locked in film rooms or coach meetings.

For a person who has never worked in the league, I think it's too rude an awakening.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It's too old to radically change yourself to the NFL lifestyle if you've never had ANY experience with it (as a coordinator or a positions coach even). You're trading hours schmoozing alums and pitching high school kids for hours locked in film rooms or coach meetings.

For a person who has never worked in the league, I think it's too rude an awakening.
    Pete Carroll did. Granted he had NFL experience before and left to get out of dodge, but he was an older coach who left college to go to the NFL. The only way I can see Stoops leaving Oklahoma is if he is starts getting pressure to win. I think he is a college coach and likes it there.

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Pete Carroll did. Granted he had NFL experience before and left to get out of dodge, but he was an older coach who left college to go to the NFL. The only way I can see Stoops leaving Oklahoma is if he is starts getting pressure to win. I think he is a college coach and likes it there.
    Chip Kelly would be a better example since he had zero prior NFL experience.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Malzahn isn't going to Cleveland.
    So says the Auburn fan. I don't think he is either, but I am curious to see how well his offense would do in the NFL.

Is it weird that I won't really be that disappointed if Jay Gruden winds up leaving? I really don't know why he's even a candidate for a HC job. Not that he's done a bad job, but I don't see what he's done that would warrant that kind of promotion.
    I think how he has gotten the most out of a mediocre QB will put him on the radar for teams who have similar QB's (Minnesota, Tennessee) or are looking to start over.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Browns expected to hire Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator, according to report .... http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...whtO4QMFJKo.99
    LOL, hiring a defensive coordinator before hiring a head coach. How many potential head coaches with good resumes and highly sought after would want to come into a situation where they don't even have input into their coaching staff?

What am I missing? Does this happen often?

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    LOL, hiring a defensive coordinator before hiring a head coach. How many potential head coaches with good resumes and highly sought after would want to come into a situation where they don't even have input into their coaching staff?

What am I missing? Does this happen often?
    Could be they know they have McDaniels lined up as HC and are going ahead and lining up his staff with his blessing.

Is Cleveland serious about McDaniels? This is the guy that insisted on using a #1 pick for Tim Tebow going to a franchise that hasn't had a good QB in..... well, a long frickin time. It's the thing holding them back the most and what they can't miss on again. I could see Norv Turner having a really hard time working under a young guy like McDaniels.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

11. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (01-02-2014), Sea Ray (01-02-2014)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Is Cleveland serious about McDaniels? This is the guy that insisted on using a #1 pick for Tim Tebow going to a franchise that hasn't had a good QB in..... well, a long frickin time. It's the thing holding them back the most and what they can't miss on again. I could see Norv Turner having a really hard time working under a young guy like McDaniels.
    People keep shaking -- but the Bill Belichick coaching tree isn't going to bear fruit IMO.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    So says the Auburn fan. I don't think he is either, but I am curious to see how well his offense would do in the NFL.
    I wasn't speaking with my heart but rather specific knowledge. The dude loves the waffles in Auburn. But his offense would likely do very well in the NFL. It morphs to the talent of his roster. His offense leverages what skills he has to work with while ensuring that the offense can run the ball effectively.

The guy is an offensive genius, his offenses aren't gimmicky in the slightest, and really the speed of snap isn't that important though he'll ram it down a defenses throat if he feels it will grind them.

IMHO, Cleveland first needs a philosophy. I think theyre a little clueless right now. It wouldn't shock me though, if they made a serious run at Saban this weekend.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Or one of these .......

Too late for one of these.

But maybe too early for this?

Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Supposedly former Cal head coach Jeff Tedford is going to be Lovie's offensive coordinator in Tampa, which is interesting.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

And engineered the incredibly dumb Jay Cutler to Chicago trade.

No wonder that McDaniels was/is known as Josh McDoofus in Denver. The Browns can certainly do better than this.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I wasn't speaking with my heart but rather specific knowledge. The dude loves the waffles in Auburn. But his offense would likely do very well in the NFL. It morphs to the talent of his roster. His offense leverages what skills he has to work with while ensuring that the offense can run the ball effectively.

The guy is an offensive genius, his offenses aren't gimmicky in the slightest, and really the speed of snap isn't that important though he'll ram it down a defenses throat if he feels it will grind them.

IMHO, Cleveland first needs a philosophy. I think theyre a little clueless right now. It wouldn't shock me though, if they made a serious run at Saban this weekend.
    Cleveland needs someone like Mike Shanahan. Someone who can have full control and build a team from the ground up. Asking ownership and fans to be patient is a different story.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?