Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN's Top 10 Teams for 2014

Re: ESPN's Top 10 Teams for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    This is true - but there are some numbers that more accurately reflect a player's value than the eye test or traditional stats.

The sooner you come to terms with that, the better off you'll be.
    I couldn't disagree more, I think you can look at the numbers but I will still take other things into account.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    I couldn't disagree more, I think you can look at the numbers but I will still take other things into account.
    Such as?

Such as?
    Just watching him play, see his interactions with his team mates, look at how he approaches his job, see what others say about him. I know all touchy feely stuff that numbers guys can't understand. I see Votto, who puts up very good numbers, but will never in my opioion be a great team leader or someone who can put their team on their back and carry them. I see Baliey, who also has put up good numbers, but he will always be a "B" level player to me because he lacks drive and desire that I see in other players. both very good players, but I think their numbers are not a true overall gauge of them as ballplayers.

Just watching him play, see his interactions with his team mates, look at how he approaches his job, see what others say about him. I know all touchy feely stuff that numbers guys can't understand. I see Votto, who puts up very good numbers, but will never in my opioion be a great team leader or someone who can put their team on their back and carry them. I see Baliey, who also has put up good numbers, but he will always be a "B" level player to me because he lacks drive and desire that I see in other players. both very good players, but I think their numbers are not a true overall gauge of them as ballplayers.
    You can see "drive" by watching a guy on TV?

6. Likes:

RedlegJake (01-02-2014)

Your perspicacity in measuring the true value of players and your canny methods leave me truly speechless...
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

8. Likes:

indyscott (01-02-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Your perspicacity in measuring the true value of players and your canny methods leave me truly speechless...
    He's won me over... I believe. I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    You can see "drive" by watching a guy on TV?
    without question.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    We look at the game differently, nothing wrong with that.

without question.
    unreal

We look at the game differently, nothing wrong with that.
    You must have loved the schumaker signing.

You must have loved the schumaker signing.
    I think it's a good signing, you get a quality guy, good clubhouse guy who can play a number of different positions both infield and outfield.

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-02-2014)

I think it's a good signing, you get a quality guy, good clubhouse guy who can play a number of different positions both infield and outfield.
    He just cant play them very well.

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    He just cant play them very well.
    I am guessing someone with a better understanding of the player and the game would disagree or he wouldn't have brought him on the team. Are you saying Walt isn't a good judge of talent or has the ability to build a winning franchise?

I am guessing someone with a better understanding of the player and the game would disagree or he wouldn't have brought him on the team. Are you saying Walt isn't a good judge of talent or has the ability to build a winning franchise?
    He's an average fielder in both CF and 2B.... that's no secret.

He's an average fielder in both CF and 2B.... that's no secret.
    I assume Walt took alot of things into consideration when he chose to sign him, I also am assumming Walt liked the overall skills Skip added to the roster.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-02-2014)

Turn Off Ads?