7. Atlanta Braves
    8. Washington Nationals
    9. Kansas City Royals
    10. Pittsburgh Pirates

-----

NO Reds!?!?!?!
    Ridiculous. The Nationals there again.

Re: ESPN's Top 10 Teams for 2014

I didnt really expect to be on the list. From what I see, we are not a top 10 team.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBombay View Post
    I didnt really expect to be on the list. From what I see, we are not a top 10 team.
    Are the Pirates really better than us, though?

I think the top five is perfect but I have serious issue with the bottom five, especially 9 and 10. The Pirates and Royals are in no way better than us right now. They probably have brighter futures, but right now I'd put the Rays, Reds, and Angels all above them. I expect others will argue against the Nationals inclusion, but I'm actually a pretty big believer in them this year.

Quote Originally Posted by LewGra View Post
    Are the Pirates really better than us, though?
    Honestly..Their lineup scares me more than my confidence in ours. Our offense is way too inconsistent especially the entire left side. Infield and outfield + centerfield and catcher. Mes after 2 seasons hasnt shown much at the plate and noone knows what to expect from hamilton, but after a not so solid fall ball and only 1 year in AAA with just okay numbers I dont agree with the stand pat stance we have made to just hand him over the job.

Im not going to compare teams or players and just leave it with im not confident in this roster to expect an NL central championship. But lowering my expectations can lead to a more exciting season if they pass that bar

Replace the Cardinals with the Reds and I'd say it looks about right. I'd also rank the Rangers in front of the A's.

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    I'm surprised they weren't higher.

That Fister trade had several of the "experts" picking them for a repeat WS appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by RealitySetsIn View Post
    Replace the Cardinals with the Reds and I'd say it looks about right. I'd also rank the Rangers in front of the A's.
    Right - because a WS team in 2013 that actually made upgrades in the off season doesn't belong in the top 10.

That and a Wild Card team that lost its .420 OBP leadoff man, one of the best defensive catchers in the league, and potentially one of its starters while adding...... wait for it...... Skip Schumaker and Brayan Pena should be in the top 5.

I've officially heard it all.

11. Likes:

CoachBombay (12-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBombay View Post
    Honestly..Their lineup scares me more than my confidence in ours.
    The lineup that lost Byrd and Morneau, you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    The lineup that lost Byrd and Morneau, you mean?
    Morneau didn't really do much for them. I think losing Choo is a bigger impact than both Morneau and Byrd.

14. Likes:

CoachBombay (12-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    Given their talent level and additions this offseason why wouldn't they be there? IF their talent plays up to their level and stay healthy they should run away with their divison and be a good challenge for the Dodgers.

Morneau didn't really do much for them. I think losing Choo is a bigger impact than both Morneau and Byrd.
    They got about the same production out of him that they did from Garret Jones in 2013. And he's gone too.

1. Detroit Tigers
    2. Los Angeles Dodgers
    3. St. Louis Cardinals
    4. Boston Red Sox
    5. Oakland Athletics
    6. Texas Rangers
    7. Atlanta Braves
    8. Washington Nationals
    9. Kansas City Royals
    10. Pittsburgh Pirates

-----

NO Reds!?!?!?!
    I would put the Dodgers, Cards and maybe the Sox ahead of Tigers. I don't see the big deal with the Tigers. They lost some pitching and a pretty decent bat in the lineup. Also with the Braves, they lost a key player in their Catcher going to the Yankees and losing Hudson even though he was coming off a key injury. I would have the Nationals higher up. both the Pirates and Royals have "potential" but especially with the Royals, they have to prove stability. To me they are where the Pirates were maybe 2 years ago. Pirates lose some key "secondary" players and a decent pitcher with nothing to replace them and now the presure is on them to repeat, which the Reds showed in 2011 is tough to do for young teams.

Morneau I would agree, but Byrd had a huge impact for them down the stretch, one of the players I think that really kept them in the race and make the playoffs last year. I think loosing AJ if they don't resign him can hurt big time. HE owned the Reds it seemed like and while up there in age, did provide them win a quality pitcher many times out.

Turn Off Ads?