Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Playoff Edition Discussion (Part 4)

Re: 2013 Bengals Playoff Edition Discussion (Part 4)

So I did a check on ticketmaster this morning, under the "best 2 seats available" option, I was kicked into the lowest ticket option, which means they're making significant progress. It sounded like the Bengals believed they'd get a 1 day extension on the black out rule due to the New Year's holiday (similar to the Colts, though the colts had to sell out by yesterday originally).

All that aside, I thought Lance McCallister had an interesting point on his blog the other day; one apparently he made on his show so if you don't read his blog, you may have heard him discuss it on air. At any rate, his point was with the struggles to sell out in Indy (last I saw was 6,000 short a few days ago) and Green Bay (last I saw was 11,000 short yesterday) as well as the Bengals being 8,000 short as of yesterday evening that its clearly not a "fan base" or "team" problem, its an NFL problem. The NFL has dictated the price of tickets, and have given the teams no leeway in altering prices like they can during the regular season. By the time you pay parking, ticket fees and the tickets themselves, you're setting yourself back $200+ for 2 people for one of the worst seats in the house. With Christmas, Chaunaka (sp?), New Years and what not, on top of the economy in general, that prices a lot of people out of the market. The spot that was "best available" as of this morning, is normally $50 a game regular season. Is a playoff game really worth double the price of the regular season ticket? Is it worth sitting in the cold, potentially snowy weather? For some, obviously its well worth the cost of admission, however its obvious w/ the situation in Green Bay, Indy and Cincy that for many, that's just too steep a price to pay.

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-02-2014), Hoosier Red (01-02-2014), RedFanAlways1966 (01-02-2014), RiverRat13 (01-02-2014), The Operator (01-04-2014), traderumor (01-02-2014), wheels (01-02-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I enjoy hearing from the Browns' fans on Facebook about how pathetic it is that the Bengals haven't sold out. I point out that people don't want to pay a $50 premium to sit in the snow, and then of course it is a question of your fandom. Sitting in the snow for more money does not make you a better fan, it means you have less money and are cold.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

5. Likes:

The Operator (01-04-2014)

Will the wind chill be -40 for this game like in 1982?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoFi...e062sb&index=8
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I have a feeling the tickets will get sold, even if the NFL has to quietly buy up tickets in Cincinnati, Indy, and Green Bay. There seems to be some backlash over NFL ticket prices and it won't look good for them to have 3 playoff games blacked out.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I have a feeling the tickets will get sold, even if the NFL has to quietly buy up tickets in Cincinnati, Indy, and Green Bay. There seems to be some backlash over NFL ticket prices and it won't look good for them to have 3 playoff games blacked out.
    The NFL can't let 3 out of 4 playoff games be blacked out, can they? Its ironic but the NFL is directly responsible for the decline in ticket demand. Things like NFL Sunday Ticket, the Redzone channel, billion dollar TV deals, have all made sitting on your couch watch a game much more enjoyable.

There are people who can't go to games, can't afford to go to games, or simply don't want to go to games that are going to be effected by the NFL. The NFL has created a must see TV environment but it has taken away from the game experience. Also not having to deal with vulgar drunken fans in 20 degree weather may sway people to stay at home.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The NFL can't let 3 out of 4 playoff games be blacked out, can they? Its ironic but the NFL is directly responsible for the decline in ticket demand. Things like NFL Sunday Ticket, the Redzone channel, billion dollar TV deals, have all made sitting on your couch watch a game much more enjoyable.

There are people who can't go to games, can't afford to go to games, or simply don't want to go to games that are going to be effected by the NFL. The NFL has created a must see TV environment but it has taken away from the game experience. Also not having to deal with vulgar drunken fans in 20 degree weather may sway people to stay at home.
    Apparently dealing with drunks is another issue.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...tion&id=111127
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Well, we should be hearing something soon (as in an hour ago??) about TV, no TV or was an extension granted?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Apparently dealing with drunks is another issue.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...tion&id=111127
    I have season tickets with 4 of my buddies. The 5 of us usually tailgate or go to a local establishment for food a drinks. It has been a long time since any of us had been pretty drunk when we entered the game. The problem I have is inevitably there will be someone close by who has decided that he is going to consume as much alcohol as possible and voice his opinion on anything and everything. It has become a place where I would not take my daughter until she was in high school. Its a shame because I can vividly remember going to Bengals games with my grandparents.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Will the wind chill be -40 for this game like in 1982?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoFi...e062sb&index=8
    I was at that game.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have season tickets with 4 of my buddies. The 5 of us usually tailgate or go to a local establishment for food a drinks. It has been a long time since any of us had been pretty drunk when we entered the game. The problem I have is inevitably there will be someone close by who has decided that he is going to consume as much alcohol as possible and voice his opinion on anything and everything. It has become a place where I would not take my daughter until she was in high school. Its a shame because I can vividly remember going to Bengals games with my grandparents.
    I used to have friends and family who were season ticket holders for the Browns and Bengals, so I used to go to both stadiums all the time. 10 years ago, Cleveland and Cincinnati were polar opposites as far as fans went. In Cleveland, drunk, rowdy behavior was the norm. This was the city infamous for throwing beer bottles on the field. Meanwhile, in Cincinnati, my sister was admonished by another Bengals fan for saying, "Man these guys suck." When I last went a few years ago, the difference between the two cities was negligible. It used to be that places like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Philly were the problem cities in the NFL, but now it appears that mentality has become a league-wide problem. In fact, I no longer know any NFL season ticket holders, as my family and friends all gave up their tickets in favor of season tickets for College Football, which is more family friendly and cost effective.

I used to have friends and family who were season ticket holders for the Browns and Bengals, so I used to go to both stadiums all the time. 10 years ago, Cleveland and Cincinnati were polar opposites as far as fans went. In Cleveland, drunk, rowdy behavior was the norm. This was the city infamous for throwing beer bottles on the field. Meanwhile, in Cincinnati, my sister was admonished by another Bengals fan for saying, "Man these guys suck." When I last went a few years ago, the difference between the two cities was negligible. It used to be that places like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Philly were the problem cities in the NFL, but now it appears that mentality has become a league-wide problem. In fact, I no longer know any NFL season ticket holders, as my family and friends all gave up their tickets in favor of season tickets for College Football, which is more family friendly and cost effective.
    My parents had Bengals season tickets from the mid-80s until the mid-2000s. They thought about giving them up every year in the '90s when the team couldn't crack the three-win mark but continued to renew partly because my dad and I got to spend such quality time together eight Sundays in the fall.

It seems backwards, but as soon as the Bengals became respectable again in the mid-2000s, they had enough and dropped their tickets and haven't been to a game since. We sat up in the cheap seats where the amount of unruly, drunk fans became too much to handle, especially for the Steelers and Browns games.

Unfortunately, our enjoyment of attending the games significantly decreased as the team's success increased. The last straw was a season when we had a game against the Kansas City Chiefs when the guy behind us spent the entire first quarter vomiting on himself and a game against the Steelers when two fans started to tussle on the Purple People Bridge and almost tossed one another overboard.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

It's silly that a few thousand tickets at a playoff game is somehow some kind of indictment of an entire fanbase. I don't know about anyone else, but NFL football is the only sport other than golf that I just don't care to see in person. I'd much rather watch on TV.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

16. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (01-03-2014), Hoosier Red (01-02-2014), sonny (01-03-2014), Yachtzee (01-02-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    So I did a check on ticketmaster this morning, under the "best 2 seats available" option, I was kicked into the lowest ticket option, which means they're making significant progress. It sounded like the Bengals believed they'd get a 1 day extension on the black out rule due to the New Year's holiday (similar to the Colts, though the colts had to sell out by yesterday originally).

All that aside, I thought Lance McCallister had an interesting point on his blog the other day; one apparently he made on his show so if you don't read his blog, you may have heard him discuss it on air. At any rate, his point was with the struggles to sell out in Indy (last I saw was 6,000 short a few days ago) and Green Bay (last I saw was 11,000 short yesterday) as well as the Bengals being 8,000 short as of yesterday evening that its clearly not a "fan base" or "team" problem, its an NFL problem. The NFL has dictated the price of tickets, and have given the teams no leeway in altering prices like they can during the regular season. By the time you pay parking, ticket fees and the tickets themselves, you're setting yourself back $200+ for 2 people for one of the worst seats in the house. With Christmas, Chaunaka (sp?), New Years and what not, on top of the economy in general, that prices a lot of people out of the market. The spot that was "best available" as of this morning, is normally $50 a game regular season. Is a playoff game really worth double the price of the regular season ticket? Is it worth sitting in the cold, potentially snowy weather? For some, obviously its well worth the cost of admission, however its obvious w/ the situation in Green Bay, Indy and Cincy that for many, that's just too steep a price to pay.
    The other problem was that in order for Season ticket holders to buy playoff tickets, they had to buy for two games(even though the Colts and Bengals are unlikely to get a 2nd home playoff game.) If there was only one game, the price of the 2nd playoff game was credited to that season ticket holders season tickets for next year.(In other words, very rarely refunded.)

I know in Indianapolis, this led to fewer season ticket holders purchasing the playoff tickets which led to a larger pool of tickets needing to be sold.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

According to the Bengals Facebook page, today was a strong day of sales (aided by help from a number of businesses) and an extension to tomorrow at 4:00 has been granted.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    According to the Bengals Facebook page, today was a strong day of sales (aided by help from a number of businesses) and an extension to tomorrow at 4:00 has been granted.
    Yes. Many local area businesses have stepped up, and today Kroger did, too. Most of them will be donating their tickets to the armed forces. You need only show up with your military ID to get two free tickets.

That's good community support from the businesses.

20. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (01-03-2014)

Turn Off Ads?