Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Playoff Edition Discussion (Part 4)

Re: 2013 Bengals Playoff Edition Discussion (Part 4)

Thanks to a lot of corporate help, the blackout has been avoided and the game will be on local TV.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-03-2014),traderumor (01-03-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Thanks to a lot of corporate help, the blackout has been avoided and the game will be on local TV.
    I don't know if someone posted this on another thread but it looks like some people think that these blackout threats are basically a cry of wolf. They have heard this so many times and almost every time someone steps up and buys enough tickets to make it a sellout. After a while people aren't going to buy tickets when they hear the game may be blacked out because ultimately it won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'd say it would be a nice problem to have, but I wonder what the ticket situation would be should the Bengals win this week and @ New England next, while either KC or Indy knocks off Denver. Hopefully, I get a chance to see the Bengals push tickets one more time this season.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'd say it would be a nice problem to have, but I wonder what the ticket situation would be should the Bengals win this week and @ New England next, while either KC or Indy knocks off Denver. Hopefully, I get a chance to see the Bengals push tickets one more time this season.
    That would be a much harder ($$$) ticket to get.

EVERYONE would be ALL IN at that point...

If Cincinnati would host the AFC Championship game, there is zero chance we will replaying this scenario.

It would sell out in less than a day.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't know if someone posted this on another thread but it looks like some people think that these blackout threats are basically a cry of wolf. They have heard this so many times and almost every time someone steps up and buys enough tickets to make it a sellout. After a while people aren't going to buy tickets when they hear the game may be blacked out because ultimately it won't.
    Too many big companies have a vested interest in getting the game on TV. The game on Sunday, and each sequential playoff game will probably be the most watched TV show of the year. Channel 12 could go from the most eyeballs they will have all year to a bad movie or infomercial. The problem becomes that these local companies don't want to buy up tickets until it is almost certain that the game will not sell out without them.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Too many big companies have a vested interest in getting the game on TV. The game on Sunday, and each sequential playoff game will probably be the most watched TV show of the year. Channel 12 could go from the most eyeballs they will have all year to a bad movie or infomercial. The problem becomes that these local companies don't want to buy up tickets until it is almost certain that the game will not sell out without them.
    But that doesn't put any pressure on John Q. Fan to buy tickets. Every time he and his fellow fans hear that the Bengals game is going to be blacked out they aren't going to buy tickets since eventually they will be sold out. So he doesn't have to spend all that money for the game and sit out in the cold. I suppose the Bengals don't care who buys the tickets as long as someone does.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But that doesn't put any pressure on John Q. Fan to buy tickets. Every time he and his fellow fans hear that the Bengals game is going to be blacked out they aren't going to buy tickets since eventually they will be sold out. So he doesn't have to spend all that money for the game and sit out in the cold. I suppose the Bengals don't care who buys the tickets as long as someone does.
    Considering 3 teams needed extra time and help to get their tickets sold, I think this is an NFL problem rather than a Bengals problem. I think the NFL needs to figure a couple things out:

1) How to better manage ticket pricing and sales for playoff games. I think the big problem is that a lot of season ticket holders balked at league/team playoff ticket policies requiring them to buy tickets to two playoff games for teams playing in wild card games when it's likely they'll only play one game at home. To get the second home game, the Bengals have to win at home, win on the road, and hope someone knocks off Denver. Indy needs to win at home and on the road, then hope San Diego knocks off both the Bengals and the Pats. They're already charging a premium for the game, so why force season ticket holders to pay for a second game that isn't guaranteed to happen?

2) How to improve the stadium experience. There have been a lot of complaints, not just here, but in other NFL cities as well, that fan behavior at games is becoming intolerable for many people. So many people would rather watch at home or the bar than deal with idiots at the stadium.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Considering 3 teams needed extra time and help to get their tickets sold, I think this is an NFL problem rather than a Bengals problem.
    Agreed. I'm not necessarily trying to blame the Bengals, just the policy they have to live with.

I think the NFL needs to figure a couple things out:

1) How to better manage ticket pricing and sales for playoff games. I think the big problem is that a lot of season ticket holders balked at league/team playoff ticket policies requiring them to buy tickets to two playoff games for teams playing in wild card games when it's likely they'll only play one game at home. To get the second home game, the Bengals have to win at home, win on the road, and hope someone knocks off Denver. Indy needs to win at home and on the road, then hope San Diego knocks off both the Bengals and the Pats. They're already charging a premium for the game, so why force season ticket holders to pay for a second game that isn't guaranteed to happen?
    Again, it's NFL policy and the Bengals have to go with it but it's a money making deal. It's similar to what MLB teams do for their playoff games. You buy the playoff ticket package and if they don't win, they apply it to next year's season tickets unless you ask for the money back.

2) How to improve the stadium experience. There have been a lot of complaints, not just here, but in other NFL cities as well, that fan behavior at games is becoming intolerable for many people. So many people would rather watch at home or the bar than deal with idiots at the stadium.
    That is a problem that many people have. Personally, I was at a Bengals game earlier this year and didn't have any problems. But it is a problem. As others have said, they have done such a good job with the TV experience that it may be hurting their stadium attendance. I know they have done some things like showing locker room stuff before the game that you can't see at home but is that really something you would go to a game for?

I really think that if Bengals fans were seriously worried about the game(s) being sold out, they would sell it out days in advance. They know someone will step up and buy the remaining tickets.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I hope the snow holds off for the game. Cold temps will help us, but playing in a snow storm will level the playing field imo. We're better than they are and I'd rather not see a sloppy game due to terrible conditions.

14. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-04-2014)

If we have a balanced offense we'll win easily.

I know it's a loser mentality but I hate so many people are picking the Bengals to win today. My mind goes to the worst possible scenarios. Good Andy never showing up. Two TDs called back by Gresham holds. Burfict being ejected in the first quarter after a hit on Rivers. Brandon Tate muffing a punt at the 1. I've been rooting for this team too long.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I know it's a loser mentality but I hate so many people are picking the Bengals to win today. My mind goes to the worst possible scenarios. Good Andy never showing up. Two TDs called back by Gresham holds. Burfict being ejected in the first quarter after a hit on Rivers. Brandon Tate muffing a punt at the 1. I've been rooting for this team too long.
    All the hype makes me nervous. There has been a lot of talk about how much talent the Bengals have, but the NFL playoffs have been littered with more talented teams losing to less talented ones. But I'm still optimistic.

Interesting Paul Daugherty column about Mike Brown in the Enquirer today and the change in mentality about managing the Bengals.

One nugget was that Mike wanted to draft Colin Kaepernick and Jay Gruden wanted Andy Dalton when they were both available in round 2 of the 2011 draft. Brown deferred to Gruden.

Count me in as one of the people that don't go to NFL games now because of drunk and rowdy fans. I like a beer as much as the next guy and I'll stand up and hoot and holler, but too many folks seem to think an NFL game is carte blanche to get drunk out of their minds and act like asses. Plus my problem is that I don't tolerate that very well and will let people know about it.

Hope we see good Andy and for the Bengals win. Watch out for SD running backs getting thrown to and yards after catch.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

19. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (01-06-2014)

Turn Off Ads?