Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sickels 2014 rankings

Sickels 2014 rankings

John Sickels' rankings are running a bit late this year because he suffered a concussion. He hasn't gotten to the Reds yet, but he's now kicking into high gear. You can follow it all here - http://www.minorleagueball.com/organ...-list-for-2014

I think he's the best in the business, often showing a healthy skepticism of prospects whose flaws get glossed over elsewhere. He also downgrades for OB issues.

He came out with his Red Sox list today. Anthony Ranaudo and Mookie Betts are the big risers. Bryce Brentz and Matt Barnes have taken the biggest tumbles.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-02-2014),Benihana (01-02-2014),marcshoe (01-03-2014),Mario-Rijo (01-04-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sickels 2014 rankings

He has started his Reds discussion for those interested.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/...ion-discussion

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    He has started his Reds discussion for those interested.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/...ion-discussion
    Doesn't sound concussed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Doesn't sound concussed so far.
    I think his autistic son accidentally knocked a heavy object off a shelf onto his noggin. He was out of action for a couple months with a nasty concussion.

He now has his preliminary prospect list (36) up. Not too many surprises. I was a little surprised to see Josh Smith in and Tim Crabbe out, as well as Gabriel Rosa in and Tanner Rahier out.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    He now has his preliminary prospect list (36) up. Not too many surprises. I was a little surprised to see Josh Smith in and Tim Crabbe out, as well as Gabriel Rosa in and Tanner Rahier out.
    Very surprising to see Rahier off the list. He's a top 20 guy in my mind.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Very surprising to see Rahier off the list. He's a top 20 guy in my mind.
    He hasn't hit a lick yet. Even if you hand him a mulligan for being young for the MWL last season, he was terrible in rookie ball in 2012 too. Until he hits somewhere, I can't consider him a prospect.

Yeah, Rahier is one of the guys on my hopin' for a great season list topped by he, Corcino, YRod, Guillon and Langfield (for varying reasons), but he would make my top 40 list right now (possibly not even top 50).

He has a lot of potential, but all these guys do. Even the last guy on every twenty-five man roster or AAA roster for that matter has/had potential. Nearly al were one of the very top guys on their High School, Legion and/or College team. Not giving up on Tanner by any stretch at all, but he'll have to have a serious showing this year to rank him as it now stands, IMO.

Sickels had this posted in the comments section:
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/...-prospect-list
    Billy Hamilton did not have a great year for Louisville. He’s never had much power. He also lost some feel for the strike zone and his on-base skills were inadequate. That said, when he did get on base he continued to wreak havoc with his speed. Hamilton then came to Cincinnati in September and ran at will against major league batteries. If he gets on, he’ll always run if there’s an open base in front of him and will almost always be successful. The joke is that Hamilton’s speed rates a 90 on the 20-80 scale, but it may be more accurate to say it rates a 100. The former shortstop converted to center field last year. He’s a bit mistake-prone due to inexperience, but his speed covers for most route deficiencies and in the long run his glove will be a positive asset. Overall, the biggest question remains: Will he get on base enough to make the most out of his speed? Although his numbers at Louisville give pause, I think there’s been a tendency to “over-correct” on Hamilton and I think there’s more in there than he showed last year. At worst, I think he’s a faster Vince Coleman, which is saying something since Coleman was one of the fastest players in history. Normally I am fairly skeptical about players who rely solely on their speed, but Hamilton is different. This is not “normal excellent” speed we are talking about here. This is historic speed, and if his on-base skills are remotely adequate, he’ll be a devastating weapon. He should be thought of as a highly-promising, possibly war-winning, but immature weapons system that needs to have the bugs worked out. If I were the Reds, I’d let him play and let him work those bugs out. Grade B+.

13. Likes:

757690 (01-20-2014),Edd Roush (01-20-2014),HokieRed (01-20-2014),JMac84 (01-20-2014),marcshoe (01-22-2014),Old school 1983 (01-26-2014),RedEye (01-20-2014),reds1869 (01-21-2014),RedsManRick (01-20-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (01-21-2014),wally post (01-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He hasn't hit a lick yet. Even if you hand him a mulligan for being young for the MWL last season, he was terrible in rookie ball in 2012 too. Until he hits somewhere, I can't consider him a prospect.
    That's true but neither has Gabriel Rosa, who did make the list. Rosa hasn't hit in THREE years, whereas Rahier plays plus-plus defense at more of a premium position (3B vs COF). I guess I have more of a problem with ranking Rosa over Rahier than I do Rahier being snubbed.

Rahier has shown some power, which is more than I can say for the guy drafted ahead of him, probably the biggest Reds bust of the decade, Jeff Gelalich.
    Go BLUE!!!

15. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (01-20-2014)

That's true but neither has Gabriel Rosa, who did make the list. Rosa hasn't hit in THREE years, whereas Rahier plays plus-plus defense at more of a premium position (3B vs COF). I guess I have more of a problem with ranking Rosa over Rahier than I do Rahier being snubbed.

Rahier has shown some power, which is more than I can say for the guy drafted ahead of him, probably the biggest Reds bust of the decade, Jeff Gelalich.
    I wouldn't have Rosa there either. My view is you don't get to call yourself a prospect if you haven't hit at all. Gelalich really has been terrible. Weird draft class for the Reds in 2012 - a handful of really interesting kids and a whole lot of instant flameouts.
    Last edited by M2; 01-20-2014 at 09:49 PM.

2012 was strange but may be strong once its all said and done. Amaral, Hudson, Pigott and Peterson are other guys who haven't shown much. Travieso is still very dubious, imo, but could still turn it around. On the plus side Winker, Langfield, Moscot, SMB, Kivel, Klimesh, Routt, Ortiz, Stephens, Rachal and Vincej are still moving up. 5 of the top ten haven't done much, though, and Felt is an exceptional hardship case.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Nice in-depth look at Tanner Rahier's hitting mechanics.

http://redlegsbaseball.blogspot.com/...er-rahier.html

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I actually like Rahier, so I don't want this to come out the wrong way, but Rosa just looks more the part when you watch him than Rahier. He is more physical and more athletic. Runs better.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Nice in-depth look at Tanner Rahier's hitting mechanics.

http://redlegsbaseball.blogspot.com/...er-rahier.html
    Old information with older mechanics.

Turn Off Ads?