Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sickels 2014 rankings

Re: Sickels 2014 rankings

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    For the most part similar to RZ. Surprises were no Franklin and no Ortiz. Also, Rahier is back and Rosa is gone. Crabbe was added. Besides Rosa, Duran was removed from the preliminary list.

I think his summary nailed it. He evaluates the organization as being around the middle and notes that there are a number of C's at low levels that could make the system look much better in a year.
    Good thing he was listening to me
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RealitySetsIn View Post
    No more or less than those in last year's prediction thread where the following things were claimed:
    Bruce and Votto would each hit 40+ HRs
    Cueto, Latos, and Bailey would finish in the top 5 for Cy Young.
    The cardinals wouldn't win 70 games.
    The reds would win a playoff series.

Historically, nothing I claimed is any more egregious than those claims.
    You mean on a board where there are thousands of posters someone made claims that didn't come true. Amazing. All Reds fans are obviously morons.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

4. Likes:

M2 (01-22-2014)

Kevin Garcia and Tyler Mahle made Sickels' list at #19 and #20. Definitely two to keep our eyes on this year.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

After reading this I think we are in pretty good shape, we just need to have a solid draft this year with the extra picks.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Kevin Garcia and Tyler Mahle made Sickels' list at #19 and #20. Definitely two to keep our eyes on this year.
    I'm very intrigued by Garcia. I had him ranked 27th. Liked what I heard about him. Wish I had a chance to see him play last season, hoping he can work his way onto the Dayton roster somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Good thing he was listening to me
    You are both crazy!

I like both guys, but Rosa has louder tools and is more athletic. While Rahier was a level higher, his plate discipline was awfully poor. Rosa controlled the strikezone quite a bit better. Easy for me to take Rosa over Rahier at this point.

I like Rahier's swing better than Rosa's. The fact that he plays a tough-to-fill position adequately (or better) makes him the better bet at this point, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm very intrigued by Garcia. I had him ranked 27th. Liked what I heard about him. Wish I had a chance to see him play last season, hoping he can work his way onto the Dayton roster somehow.
    Given his age (20), his strike zone command and the dearth of OF prospects headed to Dayton I could see Garcia playing in A ball. Jon Matthews will be there. Medina, Rosa, Garcia and Reynoso look like the other candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Given his age (20), his strike zone command and the dearth of OF prospects headed to Dayton I could see Garcia playing in A ball. Jon Matthews will be there. Medina, Rosa, Garcia and Reynoso look like the other candidates.
    I think they will probably start with Ervin there and probably replace him with Rosa once he gets promoted. I would expect Medina, Matthews and Sebastian Elizalde there as well. It may be crowded and keep Garcia down in Billings.

Rosa is an interesting case. Due to a strange rule, assuming it was shared correctly with me, he can only spend 30 days or less in the Pioneer League because of how long he has been in rookie ball. Despite just being 20 during the season, he can't stick around there long so he is going to find his way to Dayton at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think they will probably start with Ervin there and probably replace him with Rosa once he gets promoted. I would expect Medina, Matthews and Sebastian Elizalde there as well. It may be crowded and keep Garcia down in Billings.

Rosa is an interesting case. Due to a strange rule, assuming it was shared correctly with me, he can only spend 30 days or less in the Pioneer League because of how long he has been in rookie ball. Despite just being 20 during the season, he can't stick around there long so he is going to find his way to Dayton at some point.
    That last part, if you heard correctly, is yet another reason why I'd like to see the Reds find a short season affiliate too. The New York-Penn League is beckoning.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Ervin. I suppose how good he looks in camp will determine his placement. In a general sense, he certainly seems to be the kind of hitter you challenge. Plus, the Cali League isn't really that much of a challenge for hitters.

Completely forgot about Elizalde. What was the reason he never played after signing last spring?

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-24-2014)

Miller strikes me as a flash in the pan. He hasn't had the sustained success in the majors that Cingrani has.

Wacha isn't nearly as good as everyone thinks he is, and his performance all last year and the year prior was a fluke. I expect him to regress to a 4.50 ERA career pitcher with a K rate under 7 per 9 innings. Stephenson will be a Cy Young contender in 2 years.

Martinez' has weak stuff; he basically lacks any plus pitches. Corcino is younger, and has better pitches across the board.
    Miller pitched more innings than Cingrani last year (173 to 104), and quite effectively at that, so I don't know what you are talking about with the "more sustained success" claim.

Wacha may not be that good, true, we don't know yet. But he is a major league pitcher already and Stephenson is not, pie-in-the-sky Cy Young predictions notwithstanding.

I've read a lot about Martinez and Corcino, and I don't know what you are talking about there either. And the Cards have other better pitchers than Martinez, too (like Rosenthal, as someone pointed out).
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

15. Likes:

camisadelgolf (01-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Miller pitched more innings than Cingrani last year (173 to 104), and quite effectively at that, so I don't know what you are talking about with the "more sustained success" claim.

Wacha may not be that good, true, we don't know yet. But he is a major league pitcher already and Stephenson is not, pie-in-the-sky Cy Young predictions notwithstanding.

I've read a lot about Martinez and Corcino, and I don't know what you are talking about there either. And the Cards have other better pitchers than Martinez, too (like Rosenthal, as someone pointed out).
    Cingani had a better ERA over the season.

Wacha might be a major league pitcher, a below average one at that, but Stephenson has a higher ceiling and has significantly outperformed Wacha at every level. And as others on this board have said, he's the best prospect the Reds have had in decades. His floor is a serviceable #2 and his high is a Cy Young.

Rosenthal is a one year wonder. I don't think him or Martinez have the pure stuff that Corcino does. Travieso and Lively are two others that I think are better than any prospect or young pitcher the Cardinals have.

We get it. It's obvious what you're doing. Go back to the STLToday forum.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    We get it. It's obvious what you're doing. Go back to the STLToday forum.
    I have no idea what you're referring to. I'm simply espousing opinions stated elsewhere on this forum, primarily in the highly regarded ORG.

Cingani had a better ERA over the season.

Wacha might be a major league pitcher, a below average one at that, but Stephenson has a higher ceiling and has significantly outperformed Wacha at every level. And as others on this board have said, he's the best prospect the Reds have had in decades. His floor is a serviceable #2 and his high is a Cy Young.

Rosenthal is a one year wonder. I don't think him or Martinez have the pure stuff that Corcino does. Travieso and Lively are two others that I think are better than any prospect or young pitcher the Cardinals have.
    I don't think anyone has said that Corcino is better than Martinez or Rosenthal, or that Stephenson has "significantly outperformed Wacha at every level" especially given that Wacha pitched in college and effectively started at AAA, where Stephenson hasn't pitched yet.

But this isn't really a post based in reality, is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Turn Off Ads?