Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dangerous weather on Sunday-Tuesday

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Dangerous weather on Sunday-Tuesday

It's looking like a huge dump of snow on Sunday for SE Ohio, to be followed by the coldest air anyone's experienced in the area in two years for Monday and Tuesday. Combine that with expected high winds and you're looking at temperatures around 0F and wind chills at -30F (minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit) or lower. Do take care and be careful. Use the next couple days to get prepared.

If the Bengals game was taking place on Monday instead of Sunday, this game would rival the '82 Bengals/Chargers playoff game for cold. I still wouldn't suggest following the Bengals example from that game of how to dress in cold weather, though.

BTW, for anyone wondering, I have a degree in meteorology and work as a software developer for the National Weather Service.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

KittyDuran (01-03-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (01-03-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dangerous weather on Sunday-Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    It's looking like a huge dump of snow on Sunday for SE Ohio, to be followed by the coldest air anyone's experienced in the area in two years for Monday and Tuesday. Combine that with expected high winds and you're looking at temperatures around 0F and wind chills at -30F (minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit) or lower. Do take care and be careful. Use the next couple days to get prepared.

If the Bengals game was taking place on Monday instead of Sunday, this game would rival the '82 Bengals/Chargers playoff game for cold. I still wouldn't suggest following the Bengals example from that game of how to dress in cold weather, though.

BTW, for anyone wondering, I have a degree in meteorology and work as a software developer for the National Weather Service.
    So that means I can complain to you about the weather?

Bitter cold in DC this morning. Wind chills are to be about 0 today.
    So far I'm the only one to show up for work in my office. Looks like an easy day for me.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

If it's anything like what we're getting in NE, it starts with several hours of light fluffy play snowball catch with the dog stuff, followed by what seems like 10 X more hours of heavy curse the town plow guy pray your nose doesn't fall off stuff.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

6. Likes:

WrongVerb (01-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    So that means I can complain to you about the weather?

Bitter cold in DC this morning. Wind chills are to be about 0 today.
    So far I'm the only one to show up for work in my office. Looks like an easy day for me.
    And I'm missing it. Been visiting in Georgia all week. Head back to DC on Sunday.

Oh, and complain away...I'm used to it.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I was at that game, coldest I have ever been period.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I was at that game, coldest I have ever been period.
    I was 11, I think. (I was living in Dayton, where I grew up.) Got bundled up, thinking I'd go out and brave it. Long underwear, long sleeve shirt, snow suit, coat, cap, scarf, gloves, boots, the whole thing...took two steps outside, felt nothing but the pain of cold in my lungs, turned around and went right back in. Even as a kid I wasn't THAT stupid. LOL

And I'm missing it. Been visiting in Georgia all week. Head back to DC on Sunday.

Oh, and complain away...I'm used to it.
    Yep we had about 3 or 4 inches of snow on top of the cold. You will get it next week. It supposed to be even colder on Tuesday. Brrrrrrr.........
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The weather folks sure blew the weekend forecast here in SW Ohio. They called for 6-8" of snow on Sunday whereas in reality all we got was a dusting.

Three degrees this morning in the DC suburbs where I live. Wind chills are 10 to 15 below in the city. Coldest in this area in 20 years.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The weather folks sure blew the weekend forecast here in SW Ohio. They called for 6-8" of snow on Sunday whereas in reality all we got was a dusting.
    Be thankful, it pushed north, had it remained on the original track, or worse pushed south instead, we could have been sitting in a foot of snow like Indy w/ everything shut down and numerous power outages.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Be thankful, it pushed north, had it remained on the original track, or worse pushed south instead, we could have been sitting in a foot of snow like Indy w/ everything shut down and numerous power outages.
    Yeah, warm air intruded further north than originally anticipated, so all that snow fell as rain. And it is definitely a better situation because of what you said.

We drove home from Cincinnati Sunday morning and elected to go up to Indy and down to Bloomington rather than through the hills of Brown County (a more direct route). We saw some slide offs and had poor traction most of the way; that slurry of ice and snow is way slicker than snow.

About zero right now, it got down to 10 below overnight. Electric went out briefly Sunday night as the temps were headed subzero and my heart stopped for a few seconds. We've had the fireplace going since then, prepared to go Arctic. Our entire community has been pretty much shut down since Sunday night and everything north of here is the same way.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yeah, total bust.

They sure didn't miss on the temperature, though. Man it has been frigid.

Ice breakers out on Lake Michigan.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?