Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds add Keyvius Sampson

Reds add Keyvius Sampson

Claimed off waivers. One-time solid prospect. Good low-risk addition. Need to get him back to throwing strikes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds add Keyvius Sampson

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/0...om-padres.html

Reds Claim Keyvius Sampson From Padres

By Steve Adams [January 8, 2015 at 3:08pm CST]

The Reds have claimed right-hander Keyvius Sampson off waivers from the Padres, assistant director of media relations Jamie Ramsey announced today (on Twitter). This waiver claim gives the Reds a full 40-man roster.

The 23-year-old Sampson found himself designated for assignment last week to clear roster space following the acquisition Shawn Kelley from the Yankees. Sampson was long regarded by Baseball America as one of the Padres’ top 30 prospects, peaking at No. 9 just last offseason. However, Sampson had a very rough season in 2014, struggling to a 6.68 ERA with 9.2 K/9 and 6.7 BB/9 in 91 2/3 innings between the rotation and bullpen at Triple-A El Paso.

Nonetheless, the former fourth-round pick does come with some upside for the Reds. As recently as last offseason, BA noted that Sampson sat 93 to 95 mph with his fastball and had scrapped a below-average curveball for a more effective slider. Those two pitches paired with a “quality changeup,” per BA, though their scouting report noted that his below-average command could be an obstacle, and that was clearly the case in 2014.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 01-08-2015 at 04:23 PM.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...yvius-sampson/

Roster rankings: No. 39 Keyvius Sampson
    A daily look at the top-40 players on the Padres' roster

NO. 39 KEYVIUS SAMPSON

Position: Right-handed pitcher

2015 Opening Day age: 24

Contract status: Has yet to make MLB debut; added to 40-man roster in November 2013.

Key stats: 2-5, 6.68 ERA, 94 K, 68 BB, 91 2/3 IP, 1.74 WHIP (Triple-A El Paso)

Trending: Down – Since posting a 2.26 ERA over 103 innings at Double-A San Antonio in 2013, Sampson’s ERA has ballooned to 6.80 over 129 innings in the Pacific Coast League. A big chunk of that pitching has occurred in the bullpen after Sampson’s struggles in Triple-A continued this season, signaling that he may be closer to a DFA than a big league call-up.

2015 outlook: Considering he has been passed up by the likes of Odrisamer Despaigne, Jesse Hahn and Matt Wisler in the last 12 months alone, Sampson should feel a sense of urgency when he arrives in camp this spring. That is if he survives a winter that should see the Padres make at least a few moves.

He looked terrific until he hit the PCL. Look at his walk ratio - it ballooned almost double. I wonder if he began nibbling in a notorious hitters league and lost command altogether? His K rate dropped in AAA in 2013 but returned to his prior norms in 2014 so there may have been some kind of arm problem in the second half of 2013? Certainly worth a flyer but right now he's more suspect than prospect, imo, but there is a high reward with that risk, too.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

6. Likes:

HokieRed (01-09-2015),mth123 (01-09-2015)

Kinda reminds me of when we picked up Marc Kroon off the Padres. That didn't turn out so well, with Kroon only pitching 5.1 innings for the Reds in 1998, walking eight and posting a 13.50 ERA. Of course, Kroon went on to become a star closer in Japan, gathering 41 saves in 2008 and setting the record for the fastest pitch ever thrown in Japanese baseball -- 101 mph. So taking a chance on Sampson might prove a worthwhile flier, although most likely a long shot that won't pan out.

8. Likes:

M2 (01-09-2015),thatcoolguy_22 (01-09-2015)

I don't know that much about this guy, but I feel like there definitely has to be a better option out there than this guy. I know it's low risk, but he's taking up a spot on the 40 man roster that should be taken by someone that isn't as iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by butsch16 View Post
    I don't know that much about this guy, but I feel like there definitely has to be a better option out there than this guy. I know it's low risk, but he's taking up a spot on the 40 man roster that should be taken by someone that isn't as iffy.
    Yea, but is there a guy out there with a better name?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Like this pick up a lot. Looks like maybe he was pushed a bit too fast in 2013 as a 22 year old. Put up fantastic numbers as a AA starter, then got moved to PCL, as Jake pointed out, and his control collapsed there. 110 Ks against 33 W in 103.1 in 2013 in AA, with a .199 BA against. He's still only 24; I hope we try him at least the first half as a starter.

Absolutely love this move! I have been following this guy for a long time and was holding out some hope that the Reds would get him when the Padres let him go.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Do you have a name of someone that has been DFA'd recently that you like better? Even then, there are guys who could have been claimed by teams with priority over the Reds.

Keyvius seems to have more upside than the typical guy claimed after being DFAd. I am happy with this use of a 40 man spot.

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-09-2015)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If someone better comes along then Sampson will be among the first guys removed from the roster to make room. For now, that guy doesn't exist. If and when he does, the Reds will adjust accordingly.

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-09-2015),Old school 1983 (01-09-2015)

IMO, 5 players on the 40 man could be let go, if needed. Bourgeois, Dennick, Villarreal, J Duran and Skip.

So is his first name pronounced Key- vius or kev- ius?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    So is his first name pronounced Key- vius or kev- ius?
    Key-vus.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    IMO, 5 players on the 40 man could be let go, if needed. Bourgeois, Dennick, Villarreal, J Duran and Skip.
    Skip could get released from RedsZone, where he is so disliked, but Walt isn't forfeiting his $2.5 million salary, he likes the player.

Villareal did well last year in AAA and not bad in his Reds stint. He eats innings from the pen, has experience, just an instinct they will keep him on the forty.

Duran, I could see him traded off, don't see him being dropped off roster. Had .773 and .761 OPS last two years. Running out of options, trade candidate.

Dennick, Bourgois, Axelrod are possible cuts IMO. Although there's an argument each is decent depth. Reds could release and re-sign for AAA.

Most likely, this is not a problem because Reds will add maybe one more roster player requiring one move. Maybe. The rest will probably be minor league contracts with spring invites. They are being very frugal.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-09-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Turn Off Ads?