Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds to add centerfielder?

Re: Reds to add centerfielder?

Call me an optimist, but I think Hamilton will supprise alot of people next year. With the new management and his talent, I think backup for CF will be just to give him a breather now and again. No Proof, just a very good feeling.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I love we are putting a guy in the leadoff spot AND starting who didn't even play last year and has MAJOR knee surgery. Sorry but give me the rookie in CF and hitting leadoff over Grady any day.

Quote Originally Posted by PERHitKing View Post
    Call me an optimist, but I think Hamilton will supprise alot of people next year. With the new management and his talent, I think backup for CF will be just to give him a breather now and again. No Proof, just a very good feeling.
    He's not a centerfielder any more. Putting him in CF would be like us keeping Griffey there for far too long. I see Sizemore more as a platoon LF with Ludwick if he makes the team. Heisey would be the CF/backup in this scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

5. Likes:

mth123 (01-10-2014),Revering4Blue (01-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    I could be on board for a minor league deal for Sizemore, if he's now healthy after 2 years rest/rehab and still has what he had in the mid 2000's then he could be a great fit for most of the games in CF, with Hamilton getting a few of the starts per month to spare him.

Give him a shot, he could be a great/cheap steal at this point.
    "if he's now healthy after 2 years rest/rehab and still has what he had in the mid 2000's then he" .................................................. ...............would be a freakin all-star. Sign him now!!!
    Last edited by HUHUH; 01-10-2014 at 02:30 PM.
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

I'd like to see Sizemore on the spring training roster, if he's willing to sign a minor league contract. Can't imagine anyone would give him a guaranteed Major League deal at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    He's not a centerfielder any more. Putting him in CF would be like us keeping Griffey there for far too long.
    Yeah, after all of those knee surgeries I don't think Sizemore would be very useful defensively in CF. That being said, I definitely would take a no-risk, minor league flyer on him. I'm also optimistic about Hamilton, especially defensively in center.
    Last edited by EditTheSadParts; 01-11-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Vernon Wells is now available. I think he is a better outfielder overall than Ludwick.

10. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-11-2014),CoachBombay (01-13-2014)

Vernon Wells is pretty bad. But if he's willing to sign for super cheap (the Angels/Yankees will be paying him a combined $21 million to not play for their teams this year) I would do it. Give Ludwick some competition out there. But I do think Lud is a step above Wells at this point. That said, Lud is not good enough to run out there 140 games. He needs some legit competition and I'm not sure Heisey will provide that.

Quote Originally Posted by EditTheSadParts View Post
    Yeah, after all of those knee surgeries I don't think Sizemore would be very useful defensively in CF. That being said, I definitely would take a no-risk, minor league flyer on him. I'm also optimistic about Hamilton, especially defensively in center.
    We have Schumaker to fill in CF when Billy needs a day off. I maintain that if Sizemore is willing to sign a minor league deal, the Reds would have nothing to lose and should give it a shot. If he can't play CF, perhaps he could be a solid backup corner OF on the cheap.

Franklin Gutierrez would've been the perfect complement to both Hamilton and Ludwick. He signed a deal for just $1M too.

14. Likes:

mth123 (01-13-2014),Revering4Blue (01-14-2014)

Possibly moving forward with Sizemore....I'm on board with that at this point, given him a low risk major league deal/incentive laden, based on actually playing a sizeable amount of games. IMO, he still would be better than an inexperienced Billy Hamilton at this point.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-sizemore.html

16. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    Possibly moving forward with Sizemore....I'm on board with that at this point, given him a low risk major league deal/incentive laden, based on actually playing a sizeable amount of games. IMO, he still would be better than an inexperienced Billy Hamilton at this point.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-sizemore.html
    I'm all for bringing in Sizemore, but am skeptical about bringing him in to play CF everyday. I would see him more as a 4th OF/ split time with Ludwick type player.

18. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-19-2014),Old school 1983 (01-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by No pants Mcgee View Post
    I'm all for bringing in Sizemore, but am skeptical about bringing him in to play CF everyday. I would see him more as a 4th OF/ split time with Ludwick type player.
    I'd bring him in as that. He may turn out to be that platoon partner and caddy for Hamilton everyone is calling for. If he does more even better and let's get him more pt if/when that happens.

Love it as long as the money is right. He is a walking injury.

Turn Off Ads?