Thread: Reds Kicking The Tires To Grady Sizemore

Re: Reds Kicking The Tires To Grady Sizemore

Re: "is he worth it"

Answer: Literally, "what's the harm"?*

*Assumes an incentive-laden contract with little guaranteed money

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

He's the bionic man at this point, isn't he?

Count me among the doubters on this one.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Anybody know what kind of personality Sizemore has. Is he a driven man to come back and be great, or was he just one of those gifted guys that put on his uniform and went out and played. That would have a huge bearing on whether I would want to sign him or not. "Is he driven and passionate about trying to come back and be a great player again?"

Nah, he'd probably just rather his career be over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Anybody know what kind of personality Sizemore has. Is he a driven man to come back and be great, or was he just one of those gifted guys that put on his uniform and went out and played. That would have a huge bearing on whether I would want to sign him or not. "Is he driven and passionate about trying to come back and be a great player again?"
    How can anyone know any of this?

I would suspect the individuals in the Indians franchise would know the answer to this much better than random strangers on the internet and we know the Indians are giving up on him.

If this is a minor league invite with the hope they can catch Ron Gant/Josh Hamilton type lightning in a bottle, I'm fine with it. If this is the plan and they intend to sign him to a two year 3 million dollar contract than I'm starting to have a problem.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I would suspect the individuals in the Indians franchise would know the answer to this much better than random strangers on the internet and we know the Indians are giving up on him.

If this is a minor league invite with the hope they can catch Ron Gant/Josh Hamilton type lightning in a bottle, I'm fine with it. If this is the plan and they intend to sign him to a two year 3 million dollar contract than I'm starting to have a problem.
    I have no idea what to expect from Sizemore or what shape he is in. But 2 yr 3 MM is peanuts, even to the Reds. If the homework is done on the guy, and he checks out (I assume that is wishful thinking), 3 MM over 2 year would be a calculated risk that I wouldn't lose sleep over.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    How can anyone know any of this?
    Former teammates, managers, coaches, organization, etc. It doesn't seem to be a stretch to find out what someone's work habits are, or were. People do and will talk. Reputation and character are usually things people talk about.

Dang, Phil, I nominated you for GM. You are supposed to be able to find out these types of things. Use your network.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 01-08-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Former teammates, managers, coaches, organization, etc. It doesn't seem to be a stretch to find out what someone's work habits are, or were. People do and will talk. Reputation and character are usually things people talk about.

Dang, Phil, I nominated you for GM. You are supposed to be able to find out these types of things. Use your network.
    I misquoted myself. What I actually wrote was that how would anyone but me know?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Would he be attempting a comeback otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post

agreed! these are the type of players the reds must take a chance on if they won't bring in higher profile free agents. lightning in a bottle like gant and hamilton is worth the risk if the price is right.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

I wouldn't kick the tires too hard. That might cause him to be on the 60 day DL. For a minor league contract with some incentives its worth the gamble. I just wouldn't count on him for anything at the MLB level. He hasn't played regularly since 2008. He did play 106 games in 2009 but hardly any since then. Someone out of MLB that long is a real longshot to comeback.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

toledodan (01-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I wouldn't kick the tires too hard. That might cause him to be on the 60 day DL. For a minor league contract with some incentives its worth the gamble. I just wouldn't count on him for anything at the MLB level. He hasn't played regularly since 2008. He did play 106 games in 2009 but hardly any since then. Someone out of MLB that long is a real longshot to comeback.
    very true. hamilton was out of the game for awhile but kept himself in good shape. it would be interesting to see how sizemore is in that regards.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

I wouldn't be against kicking the tires on Sizemore as a 5th outfielder/bench lefty who could potentially work up to a platoon with Ludwick. Guessing he's toast as a CF.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Would he be attempting a comeback otherwise?
    Might need a pay day. There is a difference.

18. Likes:

corkedbat (01-10-2014)

Turn Off Ads?