Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL Playoffs

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: 2014 NFL Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think the funniest part about this is the fact everyone is calling Sherman "a stupid thug" and whatnot when in reality he was the salutatorian of his high school graduating with a 4.2 gpa, graduated from Stanford University and is working on his Masters degree.
    He is a smart dude for sure. And I have a feeling he'd tell you how smart he is. Might even tell you he is the smartest man on earth. Of course his SEA coach seems to encourage this behavior. And I have to wonder if his college coach encouraged it too.

I am a bit older than you. There used to be a time when you were taught to act humble and come across as a good sport. You would get benched and/or run laps at practice (until you puked) for not acting this way. I know the times have changed and it is not a change for the better. The "biggest play of his life" does not work for me. Check out postgame interviews of Super Bowls before the roman numerals included an "L" in it. Biggest game ever for a lot of those players and they are the furthest thing from Sherman. They act like real men and not PUNKS.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

2. Likes:

indyscott (01-21-2014), WSNCWFU#1 (01-20-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I also think "back in the day" people did not get offended as easily.

5. Likes:

Razor Shines (01-20-2014), Tom Servo (01-21-2014), Wonderful Monds (01-21-2014)

I also think "back in the day" people did not get offended as easily.
    Are you kidding? People would have been MUCH more appalled at his words in the days of Vince Lombardi than today. The most appalling comment from those early Super Bowls was Joe Namath guaranteeing a win

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-23-2014), Razor Shines (01-20-2014)

Sherman drives me nuts however I would love having the guy on our side. One of his coaches on the Seahawks coached him in HS and tried to shut him up when he played for him. The guy said Sherman would drive him crazy with all his talk, however when he shuts up he goes into the tank, totally different player. His mouth is the motor that drives his engine.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

9. Likes:

Razor Shines (01-20-2014)

I did like it when Marshawn Lynch scored a TD and shook hands in a normal 'Murican businessman's way with his teammates.

The Sherman act, I didn't like so much. But that's cause I'm a fossil and expect the "act like you've been there before" kind of thing. And I know the prevalence of that viewpoint isn't so widespread any more.

Pay attention to the open sky

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-23-2014), Razor Shines (01-20-2014), Revering4Blue (01-20-2014)

Child please...
    "And why do false truths persist, getting passed down the decades as if they were fact? It comes back to the same point: People believe things that are wrong because, individually, people rarely investigate their own beliefs, particularly when what they believe makes sense intuitively. Even more so when those around them agree with them." -K.F.

13. Likes:

Razor Shines (01-20-2014)

Yea, of course some players actually are being themselves when saying generic responses. But, I think for the most part the players are trained to say certain one liners after games by their agents, coaches, etc. "I just want to thank God, we executed, etc"

I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, I just don't really have a problem with a player being real and letting his emotions fly.
    (LANGUAGE WARNING)
    http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f70...eal-goes-wrong
    (SERIOUSLY THIS IS CHAPPELLE SHOW) (LANGUAGE WARNING)

I actually agree with you for the most part, I simply think of these skits whenever I hear people refer to being real.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I really didn't think what Sherman said was all that big of a deal. I found watching Harbaugh, Crabtree, and Bolden act like idiots the entire game much more annoying and just as "unsportsmanlike" like.

And what about the guy in street clothes on the 49ers sideline leveling Lane during a punt coverage? Not too many talking about that.

16. Likes:

bucksfan2 (01-20-2014), RedTeamGo! (01-20-2014), Tom Servo (01-21-2014), Wonderful Monds (01-21-2014)

On Sherman's antics vs Crabtree....there's history going back to a charity event last season...

http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybr...awks20xml.html

Sherman has been upset with Crabtree since last summer. Both attended Arizona star receiver Larry Fitzgerald’s charity event. While there, Sherman went to shake Crabtree’s hand, and Crabtree tried to start a fight, according to Sherman’s older brother, Branton.

“I’m going to make a play and embarrass him,” Richard Sherman vowed that day.

Bill Belichick sounded off today in his press conference on the pick play that took out Talib. He stated it was one of the worst plays he has seen and it was deliberate.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Bill Belichick sounded off today in his press conference on the pick play that took out Talib. He stated it was one of the worst plays he has seen and it was deliberate.
    I disagree with him. The hit was not to the knees or the head. I don't even think it was early but it was close to being PI. Welker did not dive towards the legs. I thought it was a good, aggressive play. It'll be interesting to see how the league views it

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Awesome. I'm looking forward to a comfortable Seahawks victory, then.
    I said I would root for Denver. I didn't say that I expect Denver to win.
    I think I have been wrong in predicting the winner of the last 5 Super Bowls.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I think the funniest part about this is the fact everyone is calling Sherman "a stupid thug" and whatnot when in reality he was the salutatorian of his high school graduating with a 4.2 gpa, graduated from Stanford University and is working on his Masters degree.
    Kanye West is a genius too from what I've heard.

There's a difference between book smart and street smart. Seems like Sherman needs to work on the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    He is a smart dude for sure. And I have a feeling he'd tell you how smart he is. Might even tell you he is the smartest man on earth. Of course his SEA coach seems to encourage this behavior. And I have to wonder if his college coach encouraged it too.

I am a bit older than you. There used to be a time when you were taught to act humble and come across as a good sport. You would get benched and/or run laps at practice (until you puked) for not acting this way. I know the times have changed and it is not a change for the better. The "biggest play of his life" does not work for me. Check out postgame interviews of Super Bowls before the roman numerals included an "L" in it. Biggest game ever for a lot of those players and they are the furthest thing from Sherman. They act like real men and not PUNKS.
    People taking sports too seriously. The interview was great. I'd kill for more athletes to show that passion.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

23. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-21-2014), Tom Servo (01-21-2014)

Some real racist stuff on the internet in reaction to that, sadly.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Turn Off Ads?