Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Chapman's Role

  1. #1
    Member Wishbone C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    24

    Chapman's Role

    I’m not so much interested in whether you think the Reds will move him to the starting rotation or not, but rather what your own personal preference is and the logic behind it.

    Officially the last I’ve heard is Chapman doesn’t want to go to the starting rotation & the Reds are not currently planning on moving him there, at least they are not saying so publicly.

    As for my own opinion, I would like to see him in the starting rotation. If the Reds decide they really would rather have him in the rotation I think Price could sit down & have a 1 on 1 with Chapman & get him on board with the idea. Effective leadership can get players to change their mind set & I think that Price could get Chapman on board with a little "coaching up”.

    My logic is simple, he has one of the best arms in baseball & we have capable arms in the bullpen that can fill the closer role. If he struggles to make the adjustment to the starting rotation he can always be sent back to the pen. But if he can make the adjustment he has the “stuff” to be an elite game changer type Ace.

    I see it as a low risk/high reward type move. We take a chance on having potentially the top Ace in all of baseball take the mound every 5th day with the worst case scenario being he struggles & goes back to closing.

    What say you?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,608

    Re: Chapman's Role

    Leave him in the bullpen but actively shop him all year for young position players and salary relief.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  4. Likes:

    mth123 (01-05-2014), Reds&BuckeyeGuy (01-10-2014), Revering4Blue (01-09-2014)

  5. #3
    Grouch ac084c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    444

    Re: Chapman's Role

    For the most part it's much easier to find a skilled closer than a starting pitcher.

    Chapman has what it takes to be an effective starter (arsenal, deception, stamina). He doesn't have the best control, but that is something that can be learned and refined.

    I'm not sure WHY he doesn't want to start - but if I were the Reds front office, I'd be pushing every button to get him there.

  6. #4
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,762

    Re: Chapman's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    For the most part it's much easier to find a skilled closer than a starting pitcher.

    Chapman has what it takes to be an effective starter (arsenal, deception, stamina). He doesn't have the best control, but that is something that can be learned and refined.

    I'm not sure WHY he doesn't want to start - but if I were the Reds front office, I'd be pushing every button to get him there.
    How do we know he has the stamina? He's never worked through a line-up multiple times with any success. Even when he was starting in AAA he wasn't dominating. His velocity drops after a couple of days in a row, what will it do after three innings all on the same day? I think there are serious questions about his ability to go seven innings effectively on a regular basis.

    Personally, I think the Reds need to make a deal from the pitching staff to reallocate money and prop up a weak position player group. IMO, that means dealing a starter and moving Chapman into the rotation or just dealing Chapman. I personally suspect Chapman will look a lot like Edinson Volquez if he starts, but I still prefer that to leaving him in the pen. My number one preference is to deal him as a high profile closer.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-05-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  7. Likes:

    Reds&BuckeyeGuy (01-10-2014)

  8. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,608

    Re: Chapman's Role

    What is the point of having an expensive closer when the reds will be a .500 ball club? Deal him now while his trade value is higher because he is still under team control for another 2 years.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  9. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20

    Re: Chapman's Role

    I'd like to see 100 or so innings out of him in the bullpen.

  10. Likes:

    Wishbone C (01-05-2014)

  11. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    155

    Re: Chapman's Role

    Aroldis Chapman has prepared the last 2 spring trainings as a starting pitcher and during each of the last 2 spring trainings he has put up the most effective starting pitching numbers BY FAR. I'm tired of people saying he cannot do it. If his annual preparation wasn't so dicked around by Dusty Baker he would already have made the conversion. If everyone here thinks Tony Cingrani can be an effective starter than don't give me any reason that Chapman cannot. When I see Cingrani I see a poor man's version of Chapman (which is a compliment).

  12. #8
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,762

    Re: Chapman's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    Aroldis Chapman has prepared the last 2 spring trainings as a starting pitcher and during each of the last 2 spring trainings he has put up the most effective starting pitching numbers BY FAR. I'm tired of people saying he cannot do it. If his annual preparation wasn't so dicked around by Dusty Baker he would already have made the conversion. If everyone here thinks Tony Cingrani can be an effective starter than don't give me any reason that Chapman cannot. When I see Cingrani I see a poor man's version of Chapman (which is a compliment).
    So he looked good in 2 and 3 inning stints in early spring games. That's more like being a reliever than a starter. Doesn't prove anything at all IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  13. #9
    Member Wishbone C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    24

    Re: Chapman's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by JMac84 View Post
    I'd like to see 100 or so innings out of him in the bullpen.
    I really like this idea as well. If he doesn't start I would like to see him come in earlier in games. I think the traditional closer role just doesn't get enough out of his ability.

    If he doesn't start I would like too see him in a hybrid role were he is available anytime, anywhere, anyplace. We bust him out anytime we need him to put out a fire. Which means sometimes you may even see him come in in the 7th & finish the game out.

    I think if we would use him in that role it would strike fear in our opponent's. Right now they know they won't have to deal with him till the 9th. If he doesn't start I would like to see him available anytime we need him from the 7th inning on.

  14. Likes:

    JMac84 (01-06-2014)

  15. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    90

    Re: Chapman's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone C View Post
    I really like this idea as well. If he doesn't start I would like to see him come in earlier in games. I think the traditional closer role just doesn't get enough out of his ability.

    If he doesn't start I would like too see him in a hybrid role were he is available anytime, anywhere, anyplace. We bust him out anytime we need him to put out a fire. Which means sometimes you may even see him come in in the 7th & finish the game out.

    I think if we would use him in that role it would strike fear in our opponent's. Right now they know they won't have to deal with him till the 9th. If he doesn't start I would like to see him available anytime we need him from the 7th inning on.
    Im with you. This is what i'm hoping Price bring to the table that Dusty didn't. You have a unique arm so use him in unique ways. Big picture Chapman was a non factor in the Reds 2013 season.

  16. Likes:

    Wishbone C (01-07-2014)

  17. #11
    Member Wishbone C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    24

    Re: Chapman's Role

    Honestly, I think the biggest move we could make this off season outside of resigning Choo (which we wisely didn't @ that price tag & length) is moving Chapman to the Starting rotation. A front 4 of Chapman-Cueto-Latos-Baily would be devastating to opposing lineups. I believe we could win the World Series with that starting rotation & our current roster.

  18. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    134

    Re: Chapman's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    For the most part it's much easier to find a skilled closer than a starting pitcher.

    Chapman has what it takes to be an effective starter (arsenal, deception, stamina). He doesn't have the best control, but that is something that can be learned and refined.

    I'm not sure WHY he doesn't want to start - but if I were the Reds front office, I'd be pushing every button to get him there.
    He's lazy. Too much work to be a starter.
    Last edited by demas863; 01-09-2014 at 07:09 PM. Reason: correct

  19. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    378

    Re: Chapman's Role

    trade him asap when he still has some value he is eminently replaceable

  20. #14
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: Chapman's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Leave him in the bullpen but actively shop him all year for young position players and salary relief.
    Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner!

    At this point, I'd prefer that, should it come to pass, another teams pays Chapman an inordinate sum for the sole purpose that Chapman may become an ace starter. Sooner or later, as a closer, Chapman's going to become a luxury the Reds simply can no longer afford, especially given the fact that there is already an excessive amount of payroll -- read: the often-injured Marshall and Broxton -- in the pen.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

  21. Likes:

    Reds&BuckeyeGuy (01-10-2014)

  22. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    54

    Re: Chapman's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner!

    At this point, I'd prefer that, should it come to pass, another teams pays Chapman an inordinate sum for the sole purpose that Chapman may become an ace starter. Sooner or later, as a closer, Chapman's going to become a luxury the Reds simply can no longer afford, especially given the fact that there is already an excessive amount of payroll -- read: the often-injured Marshall and Broxton -- in the pen.

    I don't think they can afford to keep him next season. I forget what he makes exactly but isnt it like 10 million or so? That is insane for a relief man-- especially seeing as we arleady have an overpaid one in Broxton.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25