Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How good were Frank Thomas and Jeff Bagwell?

Re: How good were Frank Thomas and Jeff Bagwell?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    The whole implication, hyperbole or not, was that a 23 year old Bagwell was gangly. Google search tells me he absolutely wasn't.
    The implication was, as a friend of mine said to me last night, Bagwell came into MLB looking like a kicker and left looking like a linebacker. I believe Google search will back this up as well.

And please let me imply what I mean from now on. I'm better at it than you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Do people feel differently about Lance Armstrong as opposed to the PED users in MLB?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Do people feel differently about Lance Armstrong as opposed to the PED users in MLB?
    Do people really care about Lance Armstrong the cyclist, or did they just really care about a cancer survivor doing well? If another USA cyclist who hadn't beaten cancer gone out and performed exactly the same and didn't hav a foundation, would anyone actually care about it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The whole sport was doping. Lance Armstrong is the greatest cyclist to ever live...he dominated cycling at a time technology both mechanical and medicinal had raised the level of performance higher than ever before and he did it when he should've been dead.

Baseball? The whole sport was doping. Barry Bonds is the second greatest hitter to ever live. He dominated baseball at a time technology both mechanical and medicinal had raised the level of performance higher than ever before and he did it when he should've been on deadman's aging curve.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

6. Likes:

TSJ55 (01-07-2014)

Good question. I think The Armstrong cancer survivor narrative was obviously compelling, but winning seven Tour de France titles was crazy and thus merited the hype. I recall there was an upsurge in attention paid to the event in the US when Lemond won it three times in a row because he was the first non-European to win it. Had he done what Armstrong did, I think maybe people would have been interested. He might have been capable; he missed two years due to a hunting injury and won on his return.

I think he's not popular in the American cycling community because of his early accusations against Armstrong. Who knows? Cycling having been what it is, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he also turned out to be a PED user.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Tend to agree, jojo. Kind of at the point where the era should just be tagged and move on. That's not fair to the guys who played it clean, but the more you learn, it sounds like they were the exception.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

If RedsZone thinks Reds fans turn on their own, White Sox fans turned on Frank just as much.

Many, many moons ago, I managed a Blockbuster Video store. Frank and his family came in every now and then. He was always friendly to us. It was hit or miss with the wife.

Would love to see the Big Hurt make it to the HOF. He was an awesome hitter during his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    The implication was, as a friend of mine said to me last night, Bagwell came into MLB looking like a kicker and left looking like a linebacker. I believe Google search will back this up as well.

Sorry if that came off like I was trying to start a big thing. I was just pointing out that Bagwell was a pretty sturdy young man considering he may have hardly touched a weight before 1991.

11. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (01-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    If RedsZone thinks Reds fans turn on their own, White Sox fans turned on Frank just as much.

Many, many moons ago, I managed a Blockbuster Video store. Frank and his family came in every now and then. He was always friendly to us. It was hit or miss with the wife.

Would love to see the Big Hurt make it to the HOF. He was an awesome hitter during his prime.
    What's the backstory there? I don't recall things going sour for him there. Was it just because of declining numbers late in his career?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post

Of course he got bigger when he hit his physical prime. Nearly everyone does.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Do people really care about Lance Armstrong the cyclist, or did they just really care about a cancer survivor doing well? If another USA cyclist who hadn't beaten cancer gone out and performed exactly the same and didn't hav a foundation, would anyone actually care about it at all?
    You're right that his back story put Armstrong in the spotlight. He also was amazing. Even in a sport where everyone was doped to the hilt, Armstrong was like an alien. Frankly, if his PED usage doesn't lead to health problems down the road, then he might be the best argument in favor of roids that I've ever seen. If the only side effect is that you become incredible, then it becomes hard to argue against it.

Armstrong got most of his heat because he was vindictive and abusive toward his accusers (who were only telling the truth). If he'd have just stuck to "no comment" and eventually come clean, I suspect there'd be no ill will.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    Of course he got bigger when he hit his physical prime. Nearly everyone does.
    Why didn't that happen in the 70s and 80s?

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Why didn't that happen in the 70s and 80s?
    It did.

Redszone science

18. Likes:

dougdirt (01-07-2014),TSJ55 (01-07-2014)

I'm pretty sure humans have been growing for decades, maybe more.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

20. Likes:

dougdirt (01-07-2014),pahster (01-08-2014),Roy Tucker (01-07-2014),TRF (01-08-2014),TSJ55 (01-07-2014)

Turn Off Ads?