Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Kapler: Rose Should Not Be In Hall Of Fame

Re: Kapler: Rose Should Not Be In Hall Of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Damn right gambling is worse than PEDs. It goes without saying. PEDs might (does) enhance performance. Enhanced performance helps your team win despite being an unfair advantage. Gambling can lead to a slippery slope where games might be thrown/compromised. $2 million in debt to the bookies? Do your best to lose this game and that game... then we will forgive your debt. Not to question or call you out (respect ya), but I am surprised when people question the "gambling rule thing" or compare gambling on your sport to anything else. There is a reason why that rule has the permanently ineligible thing attached to it. The fans expect all players/coaches/managers/GMs/owners to try to win every game.

Now if people want to question the Hall of Fame changing its rules regarding Pete Rose being eligible to get in Cooperstown after Pete's ban, then that is a different story. That is the real problem relative to Pete Rose. I do not feel sorry for him, but changing the rule AFTER Pete's ban seems unfair.
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but just to play devil's advocate...

The reason why both gambling and PED's are illegal is because both undermine the integrity of the game. Fans need to know that the team that won, won fairly, and played according to the rules. If players are gambling on the game or using PED's, that integrity is shaken. In both cases, fans are no longer certain that the the team who won, won fair and square and played according to the rules of the game. Because of that, they both should have similar, extreme penalties.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

2. Likes:

jimbo (01-07-2014), Joseph (01-08-2014), Phhhl (01-07-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

The reason why both gambling and PED's are illegal is because both undermine the integrity of the game. Fans need to know that the team that won, won fairly, and played according to the rules. If players are gambling on the game or using PED's, that integrity is shaken. In both cases, fans are no longer certain that the the team who won, won fair and square and played according to the rules of the game. Because of that, they both should have similar, extreme penalties.
    Totally agree.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Couldn't disagree more. Gambling has the potential for someone to throw a game. PED's is someone trying to win. Totally different.

7. Likes:

Chip R (01-09-2014), dougdirt (01-07-2014)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Why? What Pete did involved baseball. It's not like he was drinking and driving and got caught. What he did involved the morality of baseball and Pete accepted his punishment.
    What a lot of guys did affected baseball at various levels, many far more than Pete Rose. I just think the morality police part of the discussion needs to end. He messed up (bad) and paid a heavy, heavy price for it. He deserved to get hammered. But his penalty has far outweighed the massive contributions he made to the game. Enough is enough IMO.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-25-2014)

Maybe this thread should be merged with one of the other 228 threads about Pete and the HOF.

Or we could always go back and copy and paste all the paste arguments.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (01-08-2014), KronoRed (01-08-2014), reds1869 (01-07-2014), westofyou (01-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysawarrior View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. Gambling has the potential for someone to throw a game. PED's is someone trying to win. Totally different.
    Both affect who wins the game. That's the similarity that matters.

What if a player bribed an ump to make calls that helped his team win? He's just trying to win, so I guess it's not that bad
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

So I care what Gabe Kapler thinks... why?

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-25-2014), RANDY IN INDY (01-07-2014), Stingray (01-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonFlyer View Post
    So I care what Gabe Kapler thinks... why?
    Because he was the Sweathogs teacher.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

16. Likes:

757690 (01-07-2014), 919191 (05-26-2014), gilpdawg (01-08-2014), westofyou (01-07-2014), Yachtzee (01-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Because he was the Sweathogs teacher.

Ooooo Ooooooo

18. Likes:

Big Klu (01-07-2014), BluegrassRedleg (01-07-2014), George Anderson (01-07-2014)

My thinking has resembled Gabe Kaplers since that press conference in 1989 when Pete accepted the lifetime ban. At that point I knew he was guilty and still was refusing to come clean. Since then many years have passed and he has admitted to his years of lying about the subject. I am now of the opinion that he can't be punished anymore. It's time to put him "on parole" and lift the ban. Mind you, that doesn't mean he'll get voted in. That'll be another subject that'll make for endless fodder on ESPN and forums like this. I've been one of Pete's harshest critics since he let me down all those years ago but even I'm now to the point where it's time to move on.

20. Likes:

757690 (01-07-2014), BluegrassRedleg (01-07-2014), remdog (01-10-2014)

Meanwhile....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You know, the National Baseball Hall of Fame is a museum that sets it's own rules for induction, but there's no law that states that it can be the only Hall of Fame dedicated to baseball. It's a free country, so I don't see why those who think Rose should be in the Hall can't get together and start their own Hall of Fame. I'm sure Caesar's Palace would be happy to host it.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

23. Likes:

George Anderson (01-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysawarrior View Post
    No, PED's is someone trying to get paid. They take PED's to improve their numbers so they can get a better contract. Winning has very little to do with it.

Lift the ban, but he'll never get voted in. No way the BBW are this tough on the Roid guys and don't go ballistic on Pete.

Never, ever, will Pete be included in the Baseball Hall of Fame Inductees.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Maybe this thread should be merged with one of the other 228 threads about Pete and the HOF.

Or we could always go back and copy and paste all the paste arguments.
    I think some people are already doing so.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?