Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: Kapler: Rose Should Not Be In Hall Of Fame

Re: Kapler: Rose Should Not Be In Hall Of Fame

[QUOTE=OGB;3095706]Set the pedantry phasers to stun, Commander Worf.

Just joking, you know I like the cut of your jib, Raisor.[/QUOTE

You leave my jib out of this

2. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    It is now being argued that a player getting on base at a .400 clip isnt doing his job if other people behind him cant get on base. Members of the front office must believe everything they read on the Internet.
    I'm not arguing anything, simply stating a fact that all things in big business (and pro sports) are judged by context.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    so should he bat for his teammate or what can he do?! Of course it is a teamsport and you can do more than hit .400 (defence , baserunning ) and you can also try to help your teammates mentally (being a good teammate/leader) but thatīs something you canīt judge as an outsider...

but if you put up the numbers doug mentioned, there is not much you could do more to put your teammates in the best available spot to produce. you canīt hit in every 9 spots and pitch a perfect game at the same time. it is a teamsport and everyone should produce the way they can to be an effective team
    Hypothetical (which I have seen play out on occasion):

You get a couple guys on second and third with one out. You have Votto at the plate, Philips on deck mired In a prolonged slump and Bruce in the hole. You're facing one of the toughest lefties in the league. Votto has what is typically a great AB to draw a walk, but had a couple of borderline pitches go by that he may have put good wood on. Phillips pops up on the infield. Bruce fans. Inning over. The Reds have yet another goose egg on the scoreboard.

Now, are the last two guys' failures Votto's "fault?" Certainly not.

But could Votto have approached that AB differently, given the circumstances? I'd argue yes.

That's context. And that's where there is "gray area" in this ongoing debate about him and why simply saying "I acquired my base, end of discussion" is not a valid mindset in the business world when you're getting paid to win.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post

But could Votto have approached that AB differently, given the circumstances? I'd argue yes.

That's context. And that's where there is "gray area" in this ongoing debate about him and why simply saying "I acquired my base, end of discussion" is not a valid mindset in the business world when you're getting paid to win.
    and I would argue that he wouldnīt help his team with extending the strike zone!
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    and I would argue that he wouldnīt help his team with extending the strike zone!
    Depends on where the pitch is. Again, context. I'm not asking him to be Vlad Guerrero. Just maybe not Brett Butler.

Hell, I'm not even criticizing Votto too much. I think he's great. I like OPS as a measurement for overall productivity. Just saying that there's a lot more to this than the two camps we constantly see squaring off.

I'm the Libertarian on Votto stuck between the Dems and Reps.

9. Likes:

Always Red (05-28-2014),Old school 1983 (05-28-2014)

Turn Off Ads?