Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Kapler: Rose Should Not Be In Hall Of Fame

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Kapler: Rose Should Not Be In Hall Of Fame

Pete Rose gambled, it makes baseball seem not authentic.

Players cheated en masse to make results not authentic and it's just too difficult to sort out.

We all don't have subpoena power over their blood, so vote them in! Mike Piazza, a guy taken so low in the draft they don't even have that round anymore could keep up, naturally, with Barry Bonds! He was awesome!

If A rod gets to 800 home runs, it doesn't matter because Wild Joe Longstockings cheated...back in 1880 he chewed mint leaves and pitchers used a spitball...

Why, it's all the same!

2. Likes:

RedsBaron (01-12-2014),Revering4Blue (01-13-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You knew who the best player and best teams were. You may not have known if they were PED free (the teams never were, they all had someone), but you knew who was the best.
    No we don't, and that's my point.

We don't know if the best would be the best without PED's, and we don't know which teams would have been the best without PED's.

If everyone was using the same, that would be different, but we know that wasn't the case. Sean Casey may have won multiple MVP's if had been on them, and Ken Cameniti and Sammy Sosa wouldn't have won any without them. Bonds took the Giants to the World Series on them. Clemens and Pettitte helped the Yankees win World Series and took the Astros to the playoffs on them.

I have no idea who the truly, naturally good players or teams were during that period. Zero faith in that period or the players.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pet Rose = Apples

Steroids = Hand Grenades

Worst comparison on the Rose side by far.
    How about:

Pete Rose = Hand Grenades

Steroids = Hand Grenades?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

6. Likes:

Dom Heffner (01-12-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And despite the gambling, we also know Pete Rose was one of the best hitters of all time as well.
    He was awfully good.

And remember folks: as our historians point out, if PEDs had no effect on the game, that made it okay to take them! And there were no rules against surgically implanted rocket launchers in elbows in 1988, so would that be cheating?

And to sit here and here and listen to "knowledgeable" baseball fnas rail on about sports writers....when the sportswriters didn't force anyone to take performance enhancing drugs, didn't tell those in the clubhouse to be quiet about it....and to criticize them when they are left to sort this crap out...

Here's a giant news flash for the purists (odd name for those who support cheaters but there you have it): this has nothing to do with sanctimonious sports writers.

This has to do with the players- an entire generation of cheats who didn't blow the whistle on themselves. Welcome to the new world order, guys, nobody is cheering you on.

Is Barry Bonds a hall of famer without steroids? I don't know, I didn't get to see a whole career where he didn't take them.

Nobody hit 61 homers in decades....and we got two guys in one year! Magic!

And then someone hits 70plus! Wow, Best ever!

LOL....what a joke.

Dom, who are you arguing with?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dom, who are you arguing with?
    The lot of you- and if you aren't careful, buddy, I'm going to pull out my awful musical tastes!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The lot of you- and if you aren't careful, buddy, I'm going to pull out my awful musical tastes!
    You aren't arguing with me because you seem to be arguing with someone who claims PEDs had no effect on the game (I didn't say that) or supports cheaters (I don't).

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    How about:

Pete Rose = Hand Grenades

Steroids = Hand Grenades?
    Sure, agreed.

But trying to forgive Rose by citing steroids is a false equivalency as far as I'm concerned, and the most tired meme in Cincinnati sports history.

13. Likes:

757690 (01-12-2014),jojo (01-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

If A rod gets to 800 home runs, it doesn't matter because Wild Joe Longstockings cheated...back in 1880 he chewed mint leaves and pitchers used a spitball...

Why, it's all the same!
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

We have no reason to believe that someone gambling on the game always bet for his team to win and never made a decision meant to impact his bet even if it negatively impacted his outcome.

We have no reason to believe that someone who took PEDs would adversely effect the outcome for ulterior reasons.

Gambling sets up a conflict of interests that speaks directly to whether one can trust the final score. At least with PEDs one can be reasonably certain everyone was trying their best even if it meant Johnny Clean never got past AAA.

Dom is conflating two entirely different issues.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

A Hall of Fame without Barry Bonds is a lie.

A Hall of Fame without Pete Rose is a legitimate reflection of history.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

Bonds and Rose are both in the Hall of Fame, from the standpoint of their careers being commemorated therein. Both men are prominently mentioned in Cooperstown. What neither has is a plaque and what neither has had is a ceremony. As far as a " legitimate reflection of history, " both are there.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-13-2014),Wonderful Monds (01-12-2014)

Pete Rose has Hall of Fame credentials without the use of PED's. Bonds does not. Bond's credentials are a lie in my opinion.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 01-12-2014 at 04:49 PM.

20. Likes:

757690 (01-12-2014),Old school 1983 (05-25-2014),Red in Chicago (01-12-2014)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

This doesn't even mean anything.

22. Likes:

Red in Chicago (01-12-2014)

Turn Off Ads?