Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Maddux won't be voted in unanimously

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Greg Maddux won't be voted in unanimously

At least one writer, Dodgers beat reporter Ken Gurnick, didn't vote for Maddux on his Hall of Fame ballot. Seems bad, right? It gets worse. His ballot has only Jack Morris. Wait til you hear his explanation:

Morris has flaws -- a 3.90 ERA, for example. But he gets my vote for more than a decade of ace performance that included three 20-win seasons, Cy Young Award votes in seven seasons and Most Valuable Players votes in five. As for those who played during the period of PED use, I won't vote for any of them.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Greg Maddux won't be voted in unanimously

The whole process is a disgrace. The NFL process for their Hall of Fame is leaps and bounds better than the MLB process. During Superbowl week, about 30 voters go into a room, make their points, and the voters are held responsible to other voters in their rooms on their opinions. It is logically talked out and a final decision is made. To me, MLB would do well to adopt something similar. It's flat out a disgrace that someone who works for a golfing magazine and covered baseball like 20 years ago has a vote (Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post Disgrace pointed that out and it floored me).
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

4. Likes:

Chip R (01-07-2014), joshua (01-08-2014), RedlegJake (01-08-2014)

Ludicrous.

6. Likes:

villain612 (01-07-2014)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'd really like to know how this guy defines "ace performance". How can the BBWAA let this charade continue? If you refuse to allow an entire generation of players to enter the HOF, you have zero value to the voting process. In fact, you have negative value. What an embarrassment.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

8. Likes:

dougdirt (01-07-2014), dubc47834 (01-07-2014), Edd Roush (01-07-2014), HokieRed (01-07-2014), joshua (01-08-2014), MikeThierry (01-07-2014), Old school 1983 (01-07-2014), RedEye (01-07-2014), REDREAD (01-07-2014), Roy Tucker (01-07-2014), The DARK (01-07-2014), Tom Servo (01-07-2014), villain612 (01-07-2014), Wonderful Monds (01-08-2014)

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Was this guy covering the game 15 years ago?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I also saw someone on Twitter point out that Maddux and Morris played nine seasons together.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    The whole process is a disgrace. The NFL process for their Hall of Fame is leaps and bounds better than the MLB process. During Superbowl week, about 30 voters go into a room, make their points, and the voters are held responsible to other voters in their rooms on their opinions. It is logically talked out and a final decision is made. To me, MLB would do well to adopt something similar. It's flat out a disgrace that someone who works for a golfing magazine and covered baseball like 20 years ago has a vote (Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post Disgrace pointed that out and it floored me).
    Yes, once a voter, you always get a vote. Which is a real shame.

But I disagree about the NFL voting process. Cris Carter didn't make the HOF for FIVE years and when he retired only Jerry Rice had better WR numbers than he did. They aren't doing something right either.

12. Likes:

joshua (01-08-2014)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Maddux was pretty much the opposite of what you would expect from a PED user as well. Slow fastball, fast brain. As finesse as finesse gets. I can see being suspicious of guys, but GM might be the last player I expect to have ever used them.

This guy shouldn't be allowed to vote anymore. He shouldn't be able to leave his house without wearing a helmet, either.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

14. Likes:

Slyder (01-07-2014), The Operator (01-08-2014), TSJ55 (01-07-2014), villain612 (01-07-2014)

Both systems have their pros and cons. Of course it's ridiculous that no one will ever approach a unanimous vote in baseball, but they think they have to do that to protect the real greats of the game of yesteryear. And it's silly to allow players to stay on the ballot as long as some of them do.

But I actually have a bigger beef with the NFL system which says between X and Y number of players must be inducted per year, regardless of merit.

Jack Morris faced McGwire and Canseco 99 times in his career. Must have been before they were taking....

BOOOOOOO!

18. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, once a voter, you always get a vote. Which is a real shame.

But I disagree about the NFL voting process. Cris Carter didn't make the HOF for FIVE years and when he retired only Jerry Rice had better WR numbers than he did. They aren't doing something right either.
    I think that's because they only let 5 players in at a time, which I'm not on board with. It took Carter so long because many of the voters didn't know how to evaluate modern receivers with the rule changes and the increase in offensive output league wide. Now they are starting to come to terms with it. I just want a process where the players are discussed and people are held accountable for their opinions.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

I think that's because they only let 5 players in at a time, which I'm not on board with. It took Carter so long because many of the voters didn't know how to evaluate modern receivers with the rule changes and the increase in offensive output league wide. Now they are starting to come to terms with it. I just want a process where the players are discussed and people are held accountable for their opinions.
    He was the 2nd best receiver of all time when eligible. I don't care if you can only let 3 guys in, there shouldn't be that many guys ahead of him that it takes him 6 years to get in. He played at the same time as Jerry Rice. It wasn't THAT hard to comprehend the numbers.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Everyone should lose their vote. Create a BCS model. Throw some SABR in their and pick 100 or so ex-players and mix it all up. It can't be worse than this garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Everyone should lose their vote. Create a BCS model. Throw some SABR in their and pick 100 or so ex-players and mix it all up. It can't be worse than this garbage.
    Don't you ever use those initials again!

Turn Off Ads?