Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Greg Maddux won't be voted in unanimously

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Greg Maddux won't be voted in unanimously

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    16 writers actually said no to Greg Maddux.

It's laughable.
    It might be 16 writers who sent in blank ballots. That kind of thing.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Case closed guys. Mods shut this baby down.

- C'mon, you know there is much more nuance (and that is not a strong enough word) on this issue.
    Break it down for me, then.

Once Blyleven got in, Raines took over the title of "Most Insane HOF Snub" for me.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-08-2014)

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Can the same be said for Tom Seaver (and many others) when he (they) did not get elected by all?
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

No votes: Sean Casey, Ray Durham, Todd Jones, Paul Lo Duca, Richie Sexson and Mike Timlin

They call me "chef"

I thought Richie Sexson was still in the Yankees arsenal of injured former mashers.
    Cincinnati Reds 2014 W-L Record: 76.6-85.4*

Cincinnati Reds 2015 W-L Record: TBA

*UPDATED: 2/11/2014

9. Likes:

blumj (01-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No votes: Sean Casey, Ray Durham, Todd Jones, Paul Lo Duca, Richie Sexson and Mike Timlin
    In defense of Richie Sexson, he's pretty much the most successful Mariners power hitter during the Safeco era. He shouldn't be in the HOF, but I suspect future generations will look back on him and be surprised how good he was.

Two other guys who dropped off the ballot are Moises Alou and Luis Gonzalez. I'm not saying either should wind up in Cooperstown, but both were better than guys who are enshrined.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

11. Likes:

dougdirt (01-09-2014), Revering4Blue (01-08-2014), Tom Servo (01-08-2014)

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Go on...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Break it down for me, then.
    Go to the internet and search "baseball hall of fame" and then start reading...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by MilotheMayor View Post
    Did Jacque Jones steal Biggio's needed 0.2% of the vote?
    According to state elections laws, shouldn't Biggio be close enough to ask for a recount? There's bound to be a few hanging chad's in there.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In defense of Richie Sexson, he's pretty much the most successful Mariners power hitter during the Safeco era. He shouldn't be in the HOF, but I suspect future generations will look back on him and be surprised how good he was.

Two other guys who dropped off the ballot are Moises Alou and Luis Gonzalez. I'm not saying either should wind up in Cooperstown, but both were better than guys who are enshrined.
    Raffy too

True. Of course if we enshrined every player who was better than some players who are in the Hall of Fame, then at least seven of the eight starting players on the 1975-76 Big Red Machine would be in the HOF, and if I looked hard enough I might find someone in the HOF who was not as good as Geronimo.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    True. Of course if we enshrined every player who was better than some players who are in the Hall of Fame, then at least seven of the eight starting players on the 1975-76 Big Red Machine would be in the HOF, and if I looked hard enough I might find someone in the HOF who was not as good as Geronimo.
    I agree. I'm just pointing out Gonzalez and Alou are the types of guys who used to linger on the ballot and voters would have some time to consider them. Gonzalez actually has a decent claim. He's better than a lot of guys in the Hall, including the recently-elected Jim Rice.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

18. Likes:

marcshoe (01-10-2014), REDREAD (01-09-2014)

I agree. I'm just pointing out Gonzalez and Alou are the types of guys who used to linger on the ballot and voters would have some time to consider them. Gonzalez actually has a decent claim. He's better than a lot of guys in the Hall, including the recently-elected Jim Rice.
    I agree as well. When I sometimes see people argue that players should be on the ballot once and that's it, that they are either Hall of Famers or not, I think of guys such as Duke Snider who lingered on the ballot for ten years before finally being inducted.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

How did Tom Seaver get the most % of votes? Over Mays, Aaron......name them....there were better, no matter how good Tom was, it pays to be an articulate, quote machine who knows how to speak with the press.
    That is the main reason he got all those votes.....but we are supposed to take these writers seriously that they are objective when they pull this kind of stuff.

The football HOF voting may be more precise......but it is still a joke.

Cliff Branch and Ken Stabler are NOT in the HOF but Bob Griese and Lynn Swann are? Those two were good but better than the other two?

Roger Wherli was a good CB but better than Ken Riley....Lemar Parrish?

Turn Off Ads?