Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade Bailey!?

Re: Trade Bailey!?

I don't get any of this. Why would a team, small market or not, even think of trading a guy under 30 who has thrown two no-hitters? Find a way to extend him, or move the franchise...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Likes:

Red in Chicago (01-07-2014),Wishbone C (01-08-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I've said them before and I'll say them again. 2 words.

Extend
    Him
    Easy to say, but he has to be open to an extension before you can "Extend Him." I've said for over a year now that Homer's signing nothing before he tests the market. I really hope that Walt is able to strike a deal, but problem is, if it were possible it would have already happened. Would love nothing more than for Walt to prove me wrong. If not though, the Reds have to listen to offers.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Wait until the trade deadline and try to deal him, if no deal is there take the draft pick.
    If you trade him now, the other team can make him a qualifying offer - making him much more valuable to them then at the deadline. You don't deal Bailey unless he substantially upgrades at least two spots, but if you're gonna deal him, the time is now.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If you trade him now, the other team can make him a qualifying offer - making him much more valuable to them then at the deadline. You don't deal Bailey unless he substantially upgrades at least two spots, but if you're gonna deal him, the time is now.
    The only problem is that there are many more alternatives available at this point, including some for whom the only cost is money ex Tanaka, Garza. At the trading deadline there would most likely be far fewer quality arms available.

if you're going to sign votto, bruce and phillips to multi year big time contracts, you need to find a way to do the same for bailey and latos…otherwise, what's the point...

8. Likes:

mdccclxix (01-07-2014),Wishbone C (01-08-2014)

My worry about losing Bailey is who replaces him?

Cueto, Latos, Leake, Cingrani and ?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I would prefer to keep him but the money is obviously not there, you are probably right about the timing of the deal. The reds can finish third with him or fourth without him.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Not drafting Wacha hurt the Reds right now, we'd be able to trade Bailey or Leake in order to improve our 2014 roster. That being said, I would honestly try and extend Homer, but if not take the pick after the season. The trade deadline is another option, the Reds could receive a huge package in return.

Trading Bailey now weakens our pitching staff and that is our strength, we need the rotation to be a our workhorse in order to stay competitive in the division. I think 2014 is going to be a monster season for Bailey.

The only other remaining option is to package Bailey and Phillips in a trade and try and receive a young prospect filled package in return and start a kind of rebuild process while still contending in 2014. We would shed near 60 M in payroll and would be getting rid of Ludwick's contract after 14'.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Not drafting Wacha hurt the Reds right now, we'd be able to trade Bailey or Leake in order to improve our 2014 roster. That being said, I would honestly try and extend Homer, but if not take the pick after the season. The trade deadline is another option, the Reds could receive a huge package in return.

Trading Bailey now weakens our pitching staff and that is our strength, we need the rotation to be a our workhorse in order to stay competitive in the division. I think 2014 is going to be a monster season for Bailey.

The only other remaining option is to package Bailey and Phillips in a trade and try and receive a young prospect filled package in return and start a kind of rebuild process while still contending in 2014. We would shed near 60 M in payroll and would be getting rid of Ludwick's contract after 14'.
    Oh man, two Michael Wacha posts in one day.

If only we had drafted Mike Trout in 2009. Or Craig Kimbrel in 2008. Or Giancarlo Stanton in 2007.

Give. It. A. Rest.

We get it. The Reds made the absolute worst mistake in the history of the entire world by not drafting Michael Wacha. Now let it go.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 01-07-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: I can't spell ONE

13. Likes:

Farnsie (01-09-2014),PuffyPig (01-07-2014),Superdude (01-07-2014)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Fine, then pay him what he wants.
    Since none of us know "what he wants", it's silly to suggest we should do so.

It's possible what he wants is to reach UFA and get paid the most anyone will give him.

Even he doesn't know what that is.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I don't get any of this. Why would a team, small market or not, even think of trading a guy under 30 who has thrown two no-hitters? Find a way to extend him, or move the franchise...
    Maybe he doesn't want to sign?

That would be a reason to trade him.

I think I would almost cringe if the Reds gave Bailey anything over 15 a year before securing Latos. The way things are developing the Reds can afford to let Bailey walk, replace him with Stephenson in 2015, then work on extending two of Leake, Latos or Cueto while counting on a FA or another minor leaguer to fill in as well. If Cueto has hit a wall in 2014 that will make Bailey more valuable to these plans.

If I want the Reds to extend anyone, I want them to extend Leake. Not because he's the best, but because he's the best value.

He's a low impact tosser that relies on location and movement more than velocity. He's less likely to breakdown, and has he loses velocity, he won't lose much in production. He also won't cost near as much as Latos or Ceuto to sing long term. Both Latos and Ceuto are high impact pitchers, who give it their all with every pitch. Those guys worry me long term. We are already seeing this with Cueto.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

18. Likes:

joshua (01-09-2014),REDREAD (01-09-2014)

Bailey is a proven stud and is about to get paid, big time. Might as well start the rebuilding process now because this team is not going to be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by fielder's choice View Post
    Bailey is a proven stud and is about to get paid, big time. Might as well start the rebuilding process now because this team is not going to be competitive.
    I don't understand why people think the Reds won't be competitive. Choo is the only lose and many players last year played below expectations. I don't see such a dropoff with only Choo being the biggest difference.

Turn Off Ads?