Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade Bailey!?

Re: Trade Bailey!?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    This. He is a horse. Keep him and Latos forever.
    Giants fans were probably saying the same thing about Cain and Lincecum 3 years ago. Those deals would not look very good now and would hamstring a franchise like the Reds. The Reds are not in a position to pay retail for starting pitching which is what they would have to do now. They could have extended a few years ago and only bought out a couple years of free agency but that time has passed.

2. Likes:

Larkin88 (01-07-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Trading Bailey would not be nuts at all, it's one way to go. Obviously if teams offer minimal trade packages, no way. But for a good package, say a mid-level MLB outfielder and a top 40 MLB prospect?

IMO the issue is completely financial. If the Reds really are so strung out for money, then they have to consider getting longer term value in exchange for some of their star players, rather than taking on huge additional commitments.

If they aren't really that tight, then sure, go with Bailey and get a sandwich pick after the season if he doesn't sign reasonably.

Everyone who roots for the Reds would like to keep Homer. But they won't be able to give out huge deals to all their good guys; they need money for a full MLB team. Hopefully a good team.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-07-2014 at 01:59 PM.

5. Likes:

Larkin88 (01-07-2014), Stingray (01-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Fine, then pay him what he wants. If you have to make room, find a place to trade Phillips sometime in the next year. If we aren't going to be active I would hope there is a reason behind it - and that is to lock up our two horses for their careers.
    I think this offseason so far is at least a partial indicator that it may not be quite as simple as that.

EDIT: And I'm not advocating trading Bailey either, necessarily. I just think there's a lot of dependent-pieces and corresponding balls in the air that have made this such a goofy winter with rumors and such.
    Last edited by Larkin88; 01-07-2014 at 02:00 PM.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That depends on what he does in 2014, doesn't it? If he repeats 2013, then no. But what if he goes out and gives you 215 innings with a 3.00 ERA, 50 walks and 200 strikeouts?
    Agree that it would be an easy decision if he puts those numers up, but it's a pretty fine line. That's only ~10 fewer ER over 32 starts than he had in 2013. With the way Homer goes, that difference could be two games for a whole season.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Trade him, fire Walt, and start the rebuilding process....I kid I kid. While there sin't anyone I wouldnt listen to someone on, it would take one helluva deal for me to come off Bailey this offseason. The trade deadline is another story, lets see where we are at at the time!!!

9. Likes:

Trajinous (01-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Trading Bailey would not be nuts at all, it's one way to go. Obviously if teams offer minimal trade packages, no way. But for a good package, say a mid-level MLB outfielder and a top 40 MLB prospect?

IMO the issue is completely financial. If the Reds really are so strung out for money, then they have to consider getting longer term value in exchange for some of their star players, rather than taking on huge additional commitments.

If they aren't really that tight, then sure, go with Bailey and get a sandwich pick after the season if he doesn't sign reasonably.

Everyone who roots for the Reds would like to keep Homer. But they won't be able to give out huge deals to all their good guys; they need money for a full MLB team. Hopefully a good team.
    I'd be okay with that deal, if they also signed Arroyo, which would be possible, since trading Bailey frees up around $10M this season.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

I think Latos is the FO's priority in extending a long term deal to a pitcher...... and he actually wants to be here.

12. Likes:

Crumbley (01-09-2014), villain612 (01-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I'd be okay with that deal, if they also signed Arroyo, which would be possible, since trading Bailey frees up around $10M this season.
    But isn't Arroyo going to cost just as much if not more than Bailey?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    I think Latos is the FO's priority in extending a long term deal to a pitcher...... and he actually wants to be here.
    2 things.

They've already said that they're focusing on Homer first before they even look at the other guys.
    "probably the one guy that's going to be the most difficult [to sign] because of how well he's done and where he's at in this service class. Young pitchers are getting quite a bit."

"At this point, we really haven't discussed anybody but Homer to sign long term. Homer is the only one we've pursued, but we've had internal discussions on the other guys. We just have to see how it all fits in, financially." ~Walt
    Second, can somebody please point me to a quote from Homer where he says that he doesn't want to play in Cincy or that he WANTS to pitch elsewhere or explore FA? The only one I can recall was about 4 years ago now when he had a horrible season pitching at GABP and he complained about the stadium like it was a little league park. If that's what people are basing this all on, that's garbage. That's a player venting after a bad season...and opinions change when results change, he doesn't struggle at home anymore.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 01-07-2014 at 05:13 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

15. Likes:

REDREAD (01-09-2014)

At this point, I don't think the Reds would get a package for Bailey that would make it worth while moving him. There are too many available arms and not enough available bats. It is probably worth waiting until closer to the trade deadline and then revisiting things if no long term deal can be worked out. While you lose the extra leverage of the buyer getting to have a draft pick, you gain the leverage of having no free agents out there. If the team is in contention, keep him unless you are bowled over or not really believing the team can compete.

17. Likes:

villain612 (01-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    2 things.

They've already said that they're focusing on Homer first before they even look at the other guys.

Second, can somebody please point me to a quote from Homer where he says that he doesn't want to play in Cincy or that he WANTS to pitch elsewhere or explore FA? The only one I can recall was about 4 years ago now when he had a horrible season pitching at GABP and he complained about the stadium like it was a little league park. If that's what people are basing this all on, that's garbage. That's a player venting after a bad season...and opinions change when results change, he doesn't struggle at home anymore.

Latos was excluded from that quote as Walt was asked about pending arb cases, to which Latos is not one of.

I don't want to put words in people's mouths, but I think what the other poster was getting at, was that the Latos' have made Cincinnati their year round home, and have talked about being here a long time.

I personally don't think playing in Cincinnati is a problem for Homer. I do believe that his actions indicate someone looking forward to a free agent payday, or at least seeing what the market holds for him. Because for three offseasons running Walt has talked about seeing if they can get Homer signed long term, only to settle for one year deals, or like this year, imply that a one year deal is most likely.

I don't believe it is personal for Homer, just that he views it as business.
    Last edited by PepperJack; 01-07-2014 at 07:02 PM.

19. Likes:

jhu1321 (01-08-2014)

I will also be curious to see what offers that current free agents Santana and Jimenez receive this year, as they seem to have placed on the backburner in the Tanaka market.

With each tied to draft compensation as Bailey will be, I wonder if they will still get the offers they expected at the beginning of the offseason. Santana was said to seeking $ 100 million, while MLBTR has a link stating that Jimenez is still seeking $ 14 million annually.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Still a little hard to believe Homer's just 27.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Wait until the trade deadline and try to deal him, if no deal is there take the draft pick.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

23. Likes:

villain612 (01-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    But isn't Arroyo going to cost just as much if not more than Bailey?
    For this year, maybe next. The idea is to replace Bailey's innings with Arroyo for this year, maybe next, at the same cost, and get something to help the Reds now and the future by trading Bailey.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Turn Off Ads?