Turn Off Ads?

Thread: SPAM question

They call me "chef"

SPAM question

Lately, I've been receiving 3-4 emails a day from job listing services in NY. I've also been contacted by a NY university letting me know that the admissions packet they sent me was returned due to an incorrect mailing address.

I am not looking for a job or applying to universities. I don't live in New York.

There appears to be a gentleman in NY with the same name as me who has been registering for a half dozen job sites with my email. He actually uses my email with a period between my first and last name, which on Gmail sends messages to the same address as an email without the period.

My question...is there any way, other than clicking unsubscribe at the bottom of these emails, that I can curb their delivery? Also, is this just a knucklehead that thinks email addresses are magical and you can just enter your name @gmail.com without actually owning the address? Or could there be some nefarious activity associated with the use of my email so blatantly incorrectly?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: SPAM question

I doubt you can do anything about it. I get several emails a week address to mylastname@gmail.com (or yahoo.com), which are emails I own.

My last name is of hungarian origin, so a lot of these are in Hungarian (which I don't speak or read).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

They call me "chef"

His search term for one of his subscribed email job alerts is "super bowl".

5. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    His search term for one of his subscribed email job alerts is "super bowl".
    Just so you don't get into legal trouble, in the future, you should say "the Big Game".

I'd change your email password just in case.

You can mark it as spam (at least in gmail) so you don't get email from that sender anymore.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Is it a gmail address? Have you tried googling your email address? If you do and it comes up, you may want to contact anywhere that it appears and have it taken down. Spam bots infiltrate the search engines.

If you don't find it in google, it becomes tougher. For starters, make sure you don't ever respond or try to unsubscribe as you'd only be validating your presence to the spam engines. Also, if it's really an annoyance, you can subscribe to a service like spamarrest. I've been using them for almost a decade and it's totally worth it. It's like $50 a year, but it works beautifully. I don't get any spam.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Is it a gmail address? Have you tried googling your email address? If you do and it comes up, you may want to contact anywhere that it appears and have it taken down. Spam bots infiltrate the search engines.

If you don't find it in google, it becomes tougher. For starters, make sure you don't ever respond or try to unsubscribe as you'd only be validating your presence to the spam engines. Also, if it's really an annoyance, you can subscribe to a service like spamarrest. I've been using them for almost a decade and it's totally worth it. It's like $50 a year, but it works beautifully. I don't get any spam.
    The specificity of the 'spam' (job listing sites and a university in New York) makes me think that it may be an actual person who is mistaken. The paranoia in me makes me want to rule out any kind of identity theft situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    The specificity of the 'spam' (job listing sites and a university in New York) makes me think that it may be an actual person who is mistaken. The paranoia in me makes me want to rule out any kind of identity theft situation.
    It could be something like your email address at some point being attached on the net to something with "new york university." I would definitely try to google your email address and see if anything comes up. Whether it comes up or not, my bet is that it is spam and not an accidental kind of thing.

They call me "chef"

If it were some automated bot, would they send an admission request to a college with my name and email? The college email I got was from an actual human (a supposed admissions secretary with an .edu address) who was inquiring about a typo in the mailing address they had on record. At any rate, it's a bit bizarre. I'm used to spam being unrelated to each other without a through line.

A relative of mine, (and by that I mean we share a great grandfather, in a huge western Ohio German Catholic family) we have the same name, and our emails are seperated by a _

I get emails addressed to him all the time. Last year, his accountant sent me his tax return. I always forward them to him, it just seems like the right thing to do.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I got in really early with gmail, so I have my first name, which is common, and my year of birth at gmail dot com.

You have no idea the crap spam I get. I actually had to talk to my better half about it, lest she stumble upon my email account and wonder who this person is that she married.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?