Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Was Jeff Bagwell a PED user in his playing days?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is more likely he was

48 64.86%
  • It is more likely he was not

26 35.14%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bagwell a user

Hybrid View

Bagwell a user

Is it more likely Jeff Bagwell used steroids, or more likely he did not?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Re: Bagwell a user

I went with the second option solely because it was the better of the two options. I'm more in the camp of "we really don't know" and somewhere in the "I don't care" arena. I think ultimately the question of PED's is going to be a bit about like asking whether someone took drugs during the 60's or early 70's. Their use was so ubiquitous that it's rare to run into someone who didn't to some degree (I'm married to one such person) and it doesn't necessarily tell you something pertinent, per se. As was discussed in the other thread, MLB is going to have to come to grips with this history and its impact on the game and its records and legacy. The culpability spreads wide and presently its only the players who are being tainted viz a viz their place in history, and at that, it's being done in a vacuum.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

It's likely that anyone who excelled in that era*did* use PEDs. RedsMetz summed it up pretty well I think. I'll add that if a player was *not* using during that time, I question his will to win. I'll also add that I know my opinion will be immediately taken as gospel b/c I used WTW on this Hawk Harrelson fan board.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

I think most players of that era at the very least dabbled with steriods. Players that some think definitely did not probably did. It was just part of that era. The previous two posters summed it up quite well.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I votes for the first option and still think he is a hall of famer.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 01-08-2014 at 08:35 AM.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Where's the third choice "I don't really care one way or the other"?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

7. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (01-08-2014), cumberlandreds (01-08-2014), jojo (01-08-2014), M2 (01-08-2014), marcshoe (01-08-2014), mth123 (01-09-2014), RedlegJake (01-08-2014), reds44 (01-08-2014), redsmetz (01-08-2014), Revering4Blue (01-08-2014)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I assume that for those of us who don't care, we simply don't vote.

Or should that option be on every poll?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I assume that for those of us who don't care, we simply don't vote.

Or should that option be on every poll?
    I thought Canadians were nice.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I thought Canadians were nice.
    I wasn't trying to be un-nice.

Even if you don't care if Bagwell took PEDs, you might still have an opinion as to whether you're more inclined to think he did or not.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I wasn't trying to be un-nice.

Even if you don't care if Bagwell took PEDs, you might still have an opinion as to whether you're more inclined to think he did or not.
    I was joking, eh.

Or just a "None of the above" option.

I don't get how I'm supposed to determine the likelihood of something about which I have minimal information.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

13. Likes:

Raisor (01-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Or just a "None of the above" option.

I don't get how I'm supposed to determine the likelihood of something about which I have minimal information.
    Use the Redszone scientific method

15. Likes:

cincinnati chili (01-09-2014)

Shouldn't the thread title be phrased as question?
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

17. Likes:

powersackers (01-08-2014)

I prefer "there is no proof or admission or even a hint of proof, so I am assuming he didn't do it" option. Since it isn't listed, I won't be voting.

19. Likes:

M2 (01-08-2014), marcshoe (01-08-2014), mbgrayson (01-08-2014), RedEye (01-08-2014), Revering4Blue (01-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I prefer "there is no proof or admission or even a hint of proof, so I am assuming he didn't do it" option. Since it isn't listed, I won't be voting.
    I'm with you. I mean what are we even using as a basis for voting? The fact that he outperformed his counting stats in the minors? The fact that he played in an era where steroids were used? Seriously?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?