Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Football a TOP 5 pick??!!

Johnny Football a TOP 5 pick??!!

I previously said I would like it if the Bengals could draft him... I figured him as a second rounder or so... Now, all the "experts" are talking about him going in the top 5!

Is he worthy of such a pick? Will it happen? What kind of NFL career will Johnny Football have in the NFL?

BTW: Did you see those 2 women he left the club with the other night... wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Johnny Football a TOP 5 pick??!!

He's probably not worth it, but it might happen anyway. It's such a quarterback-driven league that any QB with a whiff of star potential is likely to go earlier than most think he should.

For what it's worth, I like his NFL prospects better than I did a year ago.
    Not all who wander are lost

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Too much of what he does on the field won't work in the NFL, where defensive linemen and linebackers are two steps faster and where the DBs are bigger and better at staying on their men.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

I am not even remotely sold on this dude. Every time I watch him play it seems like he runs around in circles and then just launches the ball really high and his tall receivers get under the ball.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

If Akili Smith can be taken #3 overall, then anything can happen.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

7. Likes:

Joseph (01-08-2014), RedEye (01-28-2014), Tom Servo (01-08-2014)

Raiders pick #5, right?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

9. Likes:

Johnny Footstool (01-10-2014), Joseph (01-08-2014), paintmered (01-09-2014), RedEye (01-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Too much of what he does on the field won't work in the NFL, where defensive linemen and linebackers are two steps faster and where the DBs are bigger and better at staying on their men.
    This is what I'm thinking. Not to mention Manziel is "generously listed" at 6'1" 205. Quite undersized for a top QB pick. And there are questions about his arm strength. The hype will calm down some after the combines and pro days, but he still won't last to the mid-20s.

For the record I'd rather see the Bengals get a QB that can hit AJ in stride.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    This is what I'm thinking. Not to mention Manziel is "generously listed" at 6'1" 205. Quite undersized for a top QB pick. And there are questions about his arm strength. The hype will calm down some after the combines and pro days, but he still won't last to the mid-20s.

For the record I'd rather see the Bengals get a QB that can hit AJ in stride.
    He, Bridgewater and Bortles will all go Top-10 -- just because there are so many teams with dumpster-fire situations at QB at the top of the draft.

Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland and Oakland (possibly Tampa Bay and Minnesota) all are starting at the possibility of opening the season drawing-dead as far as playoff chances are concerned unless they can upgrade their QBs.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Tajh Boyd is being projected as a 3rd-4th round selection. Early 2nd round at the latest, IMO. If he manages to fall that low and the Bengals decide to pass on him, I just might have to gouge my eyes out.
    Choo got it, dude.

13. Likes:

BungleBengals (01-09-2014), paintmered (01-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Raiders pick #5, right?
    The words that should be coming out of Oakland are "Trade Down". I like the potential that McGloin has shown but we need weapons and bodies everywhere. Drafting Johnny Football addresses NOTHING without getting more bodies. Find someone who falls in love with a workout warrior and bring in more picks.
    You can fill in the names if you want but I guarentee you Bridgewater, Bortles are off the board. Are Manziel, Carr, Boyd that much better than Pryor or McGloin to pass on positioning yourself to pass on about a dozen other positions of need? I'd argue no. LB is about the ONLY position I would not consider for the pick (I liked what Roach and Company showed as a unit this year).

If I had to predict now:
    1 Texans- QB
    2 St Louis (via Wash)- OT
    3 Jacksonville- QB
    4 Cleveland- QB (They really can't be that stupid to bring in a new coach again and NOT get a qb... can they?)
    5 Oakland.

Find someone who falls madly in love with a player (Washington and RG3) and get what you can to move down... even at the expense of missing out on Marquis Lee or Sammy Watkins.

You could potentially get a scenario where anyone in the bottom half of the top 10 may move up... Atlanta and Tampa Bay at 6 and 7 (Mack/Clowney), Minnesota at 8 (QB), Buffalo at 9 (Watkins/Lee), Detroit at 10 (Watkins/Lee). If the deals aren't that different trade down to the shortest distance you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Tajh Boyd is being projected as a 3rd-4th round selection. Early 2nd round at the latest, IMO. If he manages to fall that low and the Bengals decide to pass on him, I just might have to gouge my eyes out.
    Boyd was a 4 year starter who at times made very questionable decisions on the field. He is listed at 6'1" which I would imagine is generous and pretty small to be a NFL QB. I just think Boyd is a sexy name that really does little as a NFL QB.

If they are going to take a late round flier I would like to see Aaron Murray. He is dealing with that ACL and he reminds me a lot of what Dalton does at Cincinnati. He isn't a guy who makes hey with his legs but is mobile enough to scramble.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2
    If they are going to take a late round flier I would like to see Aaron Murray. He is dealing with that ACL and he reminds me a lot of what Dalton does at Cincinnati. He isn't a guy who makes hey with his legs but is mobile enough to scramble.
    Plus, he is familiar with throwing to A.J. Green.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Boyd was a 4 year starter who at times made very questionable decisions on the field. He is listed at 6'1" which I would imagine is generous and pretty small to be a NFL QB. I just think Boyd is a sexy name that really does little as a NFL QB.
    He's got "Troy Smith" written all over him...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    He's got "Troy Smith" written all over him...
    Considering that Troy Smith may be my favorite Buckeye I have a soft spot for him. I wondered what would happen if he got a true shot. I thought he was going to win the Baltimore starting job a number of years back but he got sick and Flacco was given the starting job.

Then in SF he started a few games before Harbaugh but when Harbaugh came in he went with Alex Smith and that was all she wrote. I doubt he would have been an effective QB because of that long motion, but always wanted to see what would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Considering that Troy Smith may be my favorite Buckeye I have a soft spot for him. I wondered what would happen if he got a true shot. I thought he was going to win the Baltimore starting job a number of years back but he got sick and Flacco was given the starting job.

Then in SF he started a few games before Harbaugh but when Harbaugh came in he went with Alex Smith and that was all she wrote. I doubt he would have been an effective QB because of that long motion, but always wanted to see what would happen.
    Think about it this way: with all the QB holes that NFL teams have today, if Troy Smith was that good, he'd be an answer somewhere. Good college QB, but doesn't have the arm or size to be successful in the NFL.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Turn Off Ads?