Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Football a TOP 5 pick??!!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Johnny Football a TOP 5 pick??!!

2004: "We're looking for the next Tom Brady"

2014: "We're looking for the next Russell Wilson"
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    He's 6'1" (the same height as Manziel). What is a few extra inches going to do for him? It's not like you're throwing over the top of your linemen...

All you guys do on here is complain about Dalton's inability to throw the deep ball or hang in the pocket. Boyd does those two things better than arguably any other college QB.
    He also has nice completion percentage numbers. His completion percentage has risen every year as a starter and it was nearly 70% this past season. Also, threw 77% in the Orange Bowl against a team that was nearly in the championship.
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

If you watched the Orange Bowl you wouldn't be so impressed by his completion percent--half his throws were WR screens...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    If you watched the Orange Bowl you wouldn't be so impressed by his completion percent--half his throws were WR screens...
    His numbers were like that the entire year -- tons of short throws on WR screens or shallow crosses. It's a first-read (no progressions), quick throw offense that emphasizes getting the ball to playmakers as quickly as possible.

That's not to say he can't be a good pro -- but just looking at college numbers (and this applies to Johnny Football as well) without watching WHAT players are doing is meaningless.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-09-2014)

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Every mock I've seen has Johnny Football slated for the Browns. I hope it happens because he has bust written all over him.

I also see the Rams trading down. They could likely land an offensive lineman and add a couple more picks from a team trying to get Clowney. (Tampa)
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    2004: "We're looking for the next Tom Brady"

2014: "We're looking for the next Russell Wilson"
    Nobody is the "next" or "new" anything. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    2012 Chick-fil-A bowl. He came up huge in that game, too. Had he decided to skip his senior season, he probably would have been drafted ahead of Manuel.
    Choo got it, dude.

The Tajh Boyd/Troy Smith comparison is dead on. I would say that Boyd has a bit more foot speed at this point, but it is pretty close. NO ONE GETS CREDIT FOR BEATING OHIO STATE"S DEFENSE THIS YEAR. If you actually watched the Orange Bowl, in no way can you come out of that being impressed with anyone playing QB in that game. Boyd made two HORRIFIC interceptions versus what was the 87th ranked Defense in the country. The play book was essentially screens and shallow crosses, with the occasional 40 yard pass thrown in.

I have followed Boyd for awhile, because he was so close to coming to Ohio State years ago. He just isn't what you want in an NFL quarterback. Bad judgement, forces plays, scatterarm, and when things go poorly quickly gets the deer in the headlights look. He was playing his entire career at Clemson with serious NFL caliber receivers as well.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

10. Likes:

Manziel has no chance if he doesn't grow up....like a lot. Guys like him could succeed at other positions in the NFL, but not QB. Chances are he will wind up being pretty good, or out of the league in 3 years like Tebow. My money is on out of the league. His character will be his downfall.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I have followed Boyd for awhile, because he was so close to coming to Ohio State years ago. He just isn't what you want in an NFL quarterback. Bad judgement, forces plays, scatterarm, and when things go poorly quickly gets the deer in the headlights look. He was playing his entire career at Clemson with serious NFL caliber receivers as well.
    Yeah, I don't know about that. He was projected to be a high first rounder at one point.

I definitely wouldn't say he has bad judgment, either.
    Choo got it, dude.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Yeah, I don't know about that. He was projected to be a high first rounder at one point.

I definitely wouldn't say he has bad judgment, either.
    He's a better prospect than Smith, no doubt.

While he doesn't throw a lot of interceptions, he doesn't throw a small amount of them either for a guy playing in an offense, as Caveat mentioned earlier, is focused on a quick-passing attack.

What did you think of those two interceptions he threw in the Orange Bowl? Or the two against FSU? Or the two against South Carolina? (the only three decent teams his high-powered offense played against this past season)
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 01-09-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

[QUOTE=Ohayou;3024923]Yeah, I don't know about that. He was projected to be a high first rounder at one point.
    /QUOTE]

So what? Vontez Burfict was projected to be a top 10 pick before his last year at Arizona State. He went undrafted.

Over 80 underclassmen have come out. Tajh Boyd keeps on slipping down the draft boards. I challenge you to find a reputable mock draft that has him ranked highly anywhere. The guy isn't what you are looking for.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

You mean he isn't what YOU'RE looking for.

I can't believe you two are actually bashing his Orange Bowl performance. He finished with more all-purpose yards than the ENTIRE Ohio State offense. What a scrub, right?

Listen, I didn't say draft him in the 1st freakin' round. If he's there in the 4th, and the Bengals select him, are you really gonna start flipping over tables?
    Choo got it, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Manziel has no chance if he doesn't grow up....like a lot. Guys like him could succeed at other positions in the NFL, but not QB. Chances are he will wind up being pretty good, or out of the league in 3 years like Tebow. My money is on out of the league. His character will be his downfall.
    Manziel's character issues are a media creation. He doesn't get in trouble with the law. Sure he's living the life, and it's not a life I would choose to live, but he's not doing any harm.

Manziel's teammates love him. He is a great leader on the field, and his teammates talk about what a good leader he has become. He works incredibly hard. He won a Heisman as a freshman and then improved greatly in his sophomore season. He is only going to continue getting better because he has shown he is not satisfied.

And his teammates respect him. He will have to cut out some of the running when he gets to the NFL, but he takes a beating and gets up and keeps going. Look at the Auburn game. He could barely lift his arm, went into the locker room to get a shot, and came out and finished the game. He will do whatever it takes to win. Players will follow a guy like that.

17. Likes:

You mean he isn't what YOU'RE looking for.

I can't believe you two are actually bashing his Orange Bowl performance. He finished with more all-purpose yards than the ENTIRE Ohio State offense. What a scrub, right?

Listen, I didn't say draft him in the 1st freakin' round. If he's there in the 4th, and the Bengals select him, are you really gonna start flipping over tables?
    That is what my argument was from the beginning. If Boyd is there in the 3rd or 4th round, then you take him. The first 2 or 3 rounds should be used to address the bigger needs like CB, DL, and OL depending on Collins and MJ. Draft Boyd in 4th, let Dalton play out his contract with Boyd developing on the bench. If Dalton doesn't improve, then you are not scrambling for a QB come next year.

If Boyd is taken, then draft Murray in the 5th or 6th round. His injury will keep him under the radar and he has that repertoire with AJ that could blossom into a deadly combination.
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Manziel's character issues are a media creation. He doesn't get in trouble with the law. Sure he's living the life, and it's not a life I would choose to live, but he's not doing any harm.

Manziel's teammates love him. He is a great leader on the field, and his teammates talk about what a good leader he has become. He works incredibly hard. He won a Heisman as a freshman and then improved greatly in his sophomore season. He is only going to continue getting better because he has shown he is not satisfied.

And his teammates respect him. He will have to cut out some of the running when he gets to the NFL, but he takes a beating and gets up and keeps going. Look at the Auburn game. He could barely lift his arm, went into the locker room to get a shot, and came out and finished the game. He will do whatever it takes to win. Players will follow a guy like that.
    I didn't see much improvement in Manziel from Y1 to Y2 as far as being an NFL prospect. His big plays are almost entirely a creation of athleticism and big-bodied WRs.

There are QBs who can make that work in the NFL, but only because they learn to be successful in the pocket as well.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?