Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

Saw yesterday that Dan Lebatard from ESPN and the Miami Herald had given his HOF vote to deadspin.com as a way to protest the HOF voting process. Kinda interested on getting everyones opinion on this. I personally don't really have a problem with it. The 10 people the website voted on were actually people you could argue reasonably should be in the HOF. I was listening to Mike & Mike this morning and they brought up a very good point, that if guys like J.T. Snow and Armondo Benitez can get even 1 vote the process is flawed. I do feel that the process needs to change, or at least more guidance given on certain issues. Lebatard did not recieve any money for doing this, nothing. I do think there were better ways for him to protest. If I was him I would have had a poll on my radio or TV show.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...-vote-deadspin.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

This was stupid by LaBastard. Like you said there was better ways to protest. I've never liked him because he comes off as very smarmy. Basically a know it all. The HOF should revoke his voting privilidges. I have no idea how he got a vote anyway. He doesn't cover baseball per se. He's a sports in general type. Just another bad thing about the voting.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-09-2014),dubc47834 (01-09-2014),joshua (01-10-2014)

From my standpoint, he should have his voting privileges removed. If he wants to write a newspaper article about the flawed process, fine. If he wants to rant on ESPN, great. If he wants to vote for nobody, or turn in his ballot blank, perfect. But do not give it to Deadspin.com. This is disrespectful to every member of Hall who made it the right way as well as disrespectful to every player who is on the cusp, but will never get in.

Like may sports writers nowadays, he is making himself the story, rather than the flaw in the process.
    Last edited by Rock of Truth; 01-09-2014 at 09:58 AM.

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-09-2014),joshua (01-10-2014),RedsBaron (01-09-2014)

It was a solid ballot. I have no problem with it. HOF voting is ridiculous anyways.

8. Likes:

blumj (01-09-2014),OGB (01-10-2014),pahster (01-09-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (01-09-2014),Tom Servo (01-09-2014),westofyou (01-09-2014)

I was shocked that ESPN gave him a prime radio show slot and even more surprised to see he was much worse than I thought. The guy is an abomination to sports coverage and it is even worse that he has a HOF vote.

I have no problem with a local writer throwing a player he covered and liked a HOF vote. Great players struggle to get 75% of the vote, a guy like JT Snow isn't going to get into the HOF. But I would imagine if you are JT Snow its kinda cool to know that you received a HOF vote for your playing career.

The more I think about the HOF voting process I realize it needs to be amended. I think if you abstain from voting for more than one year your vote should be taken away. I would like to see them extend an olive branch to guys who have covered baseball throughout their career but may not be members of the baseball writers. But the more you break it down it is the HOF, not the Hall of Very Good. Personally I want the process to be select and difficult to get in. But I do wish they would do away with the sanctimonious and elitist voters.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

The best thing about this whole mess was that we finally got to see what the ballot looks like.

LOL, "bbwaa@aol.com" and a ballot that looks like my mom created it on Microsoft Word in 2000 for an elementary school raffle is just perfect...
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    and buckeye fans only a week and a half away from another embarrassing loss they'll be forever unable to reconcile though one would think they should be well used to the modern buckeye brand.

11. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-09-2014),dubc47834 (01-09-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (01-09-2014),Tom Servo (01-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    From my standpoint, he should have his voting privileges removed. If he wants to write a newspaper article about the flawed process, fine. If he wants to rant on ESPN, great. If he wants to vote for nobody, or turn in his ballot blank, perfect. But do not give it to Deadspin.com. This is disrespectful to every member of Hall who made it the right way as well as disrespectful to every player who is on the cusp, but will never get in.

Like may sports writers nowadays, he is making himself the story, rather than the flaw in the process.
    LOL, the vote wasn't given to Deadspin.com, it was given to its readers allowing them to vote. The money that exchanged hands went to charity. So it's disrespectful to every member of the Hall of Fame to allow the general public to cast one ballot out of 571 ballots submitted? How self-righteous of them.

It's disrespectful to the guys who are on the cusp but will never get in?? There were *TEN* players on the Deadspin ballot. How is that more disrespectful than an empty protest ballot?

The point is that an ESPN rant, newspaper column, etc. would not get nearly the amount of publicity this got. Now normally I would not support Le LeBatard and his attention-seeking ways, but in this case I see it as brilliant. It's exactly what is needed if there is ever going to be any change made to the process...
    and buckeye fans only a week and a half away from another embarrassing loss they'll be forever unable to reconcile though one would think they should be well used to the modern buckeye brand.

13. Likes:

M2 (01-09-2014),OGB (01-10-2014),pahster (01-09-2014),RichRed (01-10-2014),Rojo (01-09-2014),westofyou (01-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The money that exchanged hands went to charity.
    From what I heard no money went to charity or changed hands whatsoever. LeBetard wanted to make sure this could not be seen as "selling" his vote. He gave it away to show it was worthless.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-09-2014),dubc47834 (01-09-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (01-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have no problem with a local writer throwing a player he covered and liked a HOF vote. Great players struggle to get 75% of the vote, a guy like JT Snow isn't going to get into the HOF. But I would imagine if you are JT Snow its kinda cool to know that you received a HOF vote for your playing career.
    I have a huge problem with JT Snow getting a vote just so he can think its "kinda cool."

That is a freaking joke.

Craig Biggio, one of the best 2nd basemen to ever play the game of baseball was 2 votes short and it may have been because people didn't vote at all or some lame-brains voted for the likes of Jacques Jones (my god, this guy wasn't even good), Armando Benitez and JT Snow.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-09-2014),Always Red (01-09-2014),dubc47834 (01-09-2014),pahster (01-09-2014),Raisor (01-10-2014),westofyou (01-09-2014),[deleted] (01-12-2014)

It's completely OK that some guy voted for only Jack Morris though and refuses to vote for anyone from the steroid era.

That is somoene that should have their ballot stripped.

19. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-09-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (01-09-2014),[deleted] (01-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I have a huge problem with JT Snow getting a vote just so he can think its "kinda cool."

That is a freaking joke.

Craig Biggio, one of the best 2nd basemen to ever play the game of baseball was 2 votes short and it may have been because people didn't vote at all or some lame-brains voted for the likes of Jacques Jones (my god, this guy wasn't even good), Armando Benitez and JT Snow.
    Would you still be outraged if the same guy who voted for JT Snow also voted for Biggio? Its not like you get one vote and one vote only, you get the opportunity to vote for 10 guys. IMO the problem isn't voting for Snow its the fact that he was on the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Would you still be outraged if the same guy who voted for JT Snow also voted for Biggio? Its not like you get one vote and one vote only, you get the opportunity to vote for 10 guys. IMO the problem isn't voting for Snow its the fact that he was on the ballot.
    If there wasn't a limit on how many guys you can vote for then I wouldn't care, but there were like 16 worthy guys on this year's ballot, so ya a vote for J.T. Snow bothers me...

22. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-09-2014)

Craig Biggio had a .281 lifetime BA and a .796 OPS. He was an outstanding player for many years, but I don't see him as a clear Hall of Famer.

Mike Piazza hit .308 with a .922 lifetime OPS and is the all time leading home run hitter as a catcher. He didn't throw well but otherwise was a good enough defender or better. He made 12 All Star teams and was top ten in the MVP voting seven times.

I still can't believe he hasn't made the Hall.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-09-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Craig Biggio had a .281 lifetime BA and a .796 OPS. He was an outstanding player for many years, but I don't see him as a clear Hall of Famer.

Mike Piazza hit .308 with a .922 lifetime OPS and is the all time leading home run hitter as a catcher. He didn't throw well but otherwise was a decent defender or better. He made 12 All Star teams and was top ten in the MVP voting seven times.

He's got 3,000 hits. Does that mean anything anymore?

25. Likes:

George Anderson (01-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Mike Piazza hit .308 with a .922 lifetime OPS and is the all time leading home run hitter as a catcher. He didn't throw well but otherwise was a decent defender or better. He made 12 All Star teams and was top ten in the MVP voting seven times.

Bacne is what's keeping Piazza out.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

27. Likes:

Dom Heffner (01-09-2014),dubc47834 (01-09-2014)

Turn Off Ads?