Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 75 of 75

Thread: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

  1. #61
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,597

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    You guys still watch ESPN? It's like the MTV of sports.
    What's MTV?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,663

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    You guys still watch ESPN? It's like the MTV of sports.
    Listen on the radio while showering. No XM Radio for me until I get in the car. Of course Ozzy's Boneyard (XM35) does not talk sports either lol.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  4. #63
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,076

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    The Mike-and-Mike NBA talk has been nauseating for years now. Some days they will discuss NBA for the first hour of their program and nothing else. Of course ESPN has a big TV contract with the NBA, so I guess we should expect it.
    Try watching ESPN when you don't care for the NFL.

    As for LeBatard's actions, I loved it. He could have talked about it on his shows (and has been for years), but that sort of opinion is white noise in the sports world. You need to do something dramatic to have that kind of impact, and he did.

    Dan stirred up a hornets nest when he went after fellow sports writers. They are very defensive about the privileges they have acquired over the years and Dan's statement that their votes are meaningless put that power in jeopardy. The writers then felt they had to come down hard on him. They understand that there is no real and tangible reason that they are the gatekeepers to the HOF or at least know that their role is tenuous.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  5. #64
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,006

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Recently I have noticed ESPN focusing more and more on the NBA. I think with NFL Network and NBC Sports Network they have more competition with the NFL and as a result they are starting to really push the NBA. Almost every day I listen to ESPN radio in the morning and evening (terrible commute) and have noticed even on big college football or NFL days they will bring up Lebron, the Heat, the Pacers, Kevin Durant, Carmelo, the Knicks, etc.

    I used to enjoy the NBA but I have completely lost interest. I find none of the storylines interesting anymore. Lebron is a great player, perhaps the greatest of all time, but I just don't care.
    They have the big contract with the NBA now, showing several games a week. Just follow the money trail.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  6. #65
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,227

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    They have the big contract with the NBA now, showing several games a week. Just follow the money trail.
    What's the NBA?

  7. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (01-12-2014), Joseph (01-10-2014), Red in Chicago (01-10-2014)

  8. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    122

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    The whole thing really sounded like a publicity stunt to promote his poorly rated tv show and newly nationally syndicated radio show. A lot of people IMOP have given him too much credit.

    He agreed to give his vote away to deadspin with no conditions. You have to give deadspin some credit for doing a web poll instead of making a joke of the process by only voting for JT Snow ect.

  9. Likes:

    bengalsown (01-10-2014)

  10. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    206

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric from NC View Post
    The whole thing really sounded like a publicity stunt to promote his poorly rated tv show and newly nationally syndicated radio show. A lot of people IMOP have given him too much credit.

    He agreed to give his vote away to deadspin with no conditions. You have to give deadspin some credit for doing a web poll instead of making a joke of the process by only voting for JT Snow ect.
    I agree. The fact that he admitted it was him immediately after makes me think someone was attention whoring...

  11. #68
    15 game winner Danny Serafini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sultanes de Monterrey
    Posts
    4,183

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    Nissan runs a poll online and gives the fans an official Heisman Trophy vote, this doesn't really seem any different, other than the right people weren't getting paid.

    Agree with the above post about Le Betard though. It's one thing to take a contrarian stance because you truly believe it, but he plays the contrarian just for contrarian's sake role so often that it's hard to respect anything he does.

  12. #69
    Member cacollinsmba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    135

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    A couple points -

    - I believe Lebatard's reasoning for participating in this was not simply to draw attention to what at least some may think is an absurd process. Lebatard's beef has more to do with his irritation about steroid guys not getting votes. They reported that guys like Bonds and Clemens, who were users but thought to be HOF-worthy by some regardless of their usage, lost votes this time around. Lebatard may not have been able to predict this result, but giving his vote up probably had to do with him having some knowledge through the grapevines that guys like those two were not going to pick up any momentum in their candidacies this year.

    - So along with the point above, what of it? People pointed that Deadspin's ballot selections wasn't bad, but that's not really the point. Lebatard apparently wants to take his ball and go home because the guys he likes aren't going to get voted in. That being the case, I think a better angle for him to take would be to vote for the Bonds/Clemens types, then use his shows as a platform to make the case for why he's voting his way, regardless of what anyone else thinks. In other words, fight the good fight and stop playing the victim.

    - I believe Mike & Mike made the point that people like Vin Scully and Bob Costas, who have been involved in sports reporting or otherwise for quite some time but are not writers, do not have a vote. The vote is limited to sports writers - which leaves out commentators, sabrmetrics guys, etc. So that being the case, I believe you're getting a warped view of who is "deserving" of a vote because you're allowing only people with a certain perspective/background to vote. To me, it would be like polling white people to see what their views are on racism toward minorities.
    Xavier University Football - undefeated since 1973

  13. Likes:

    757690 (01-11-2014), Tony Cloninger (01-12-2014)

  14. #70
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,003

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    Not sure what one has to do with another, but no I dont. Not sure how one can associate a guy being banned from baseball be allowed to be in the HOF.

    Now spin away
    Because gambling is banned for fear of inauthentic results.

    Steroids give you the same thing, just in the bloodstream.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

  15. #71
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,139

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    The response from the BBWAA seems to be focuses on LeBatard giving his vote away to people who haven't "earned" the right to vote. It's pure hubris. These clowns still want to pretend they're the gatekeepers of the game, despite their general ignorance and incompetence. So how dare LeBatard give his vote away to regular people.

    Well, this is a board filled with regular people and I am 100% positive we've got a brighter, better informed HOF voting electorate here than the BBWAA.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  16. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (01-12-2014), blumj (01-12-2014), Chip R (01-12-2014), dubc47834 (01-12-2014), pahster (01-11-2014)

  17. #72
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,564

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    Perhaps Lebatard's actions will have the consequences he desired.

    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...?event=event12

    The Baseball Writers’ Association of America has formed a committee to discuss, and possibly recommend changes to the Hall of Fame voting system.

    The committee, of which I am a part, has not yet met, but the recent logjam of worthy candidates for induction has created interest in some circles to expand the ballot from the maximum 10, allowing voters to cast ballots for as many players as they like.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  18. #73
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,597

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    Cafardo being on the committee is probably not a good sign.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  19. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,836

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    Quote Originally Posted by cacollinsmba View Post
    A couple points -

    - I believe Lebatard's reasoning for participating in this was not simply to draw attention to what at least some may think is an absurd process. Lebatard's beef has more to do with his irritation about steroid guys not getting votes. They reported that guys like Bonds and Clemens, who were users but thought to be HOF-worthy by some regardless of their usage, lost votes this time around. Lebatard may not have been able to predict this result, but giving his vote up probably had to do with him having some knowledge through the grapevines that guys like those two were not going to pick up any momentum in their candidacies this year.

    - So along with the point above, what of it? People pointed that Deadspin's ballot selections wasn't bad, but that's not really the point. Lebatard apparently wants to take his ball and go home because the guys he likes aren't going to get voted in. That being the case, I think a better angle for him to take would be to vote for the Bonds/Clemens types, then use his shows as a platform to make the case for why he's voting his way, regardless of what anyone else thinks. In other words, fight the good fight and stop playing the victim.

    - I believe Mike & Mike made the point that people like Vin Scully and Bob Costas, who have been involved in sports reporting or otherwise for quite some time but are not writers, do not have a vote. The vote is limited to sports writers - which leaves out commentators, sabrmetrics guys, etc. So that being the case, I believe you're getting a warped view of who is "deserving" of a vote because you're allowing only people with a certain perspective/background to vote. To me, it would be like polling white people to see what their views are on racism toward minorities.


    It is crazy that Scully and Costas would not have a vote.

    I always thought Bonds was a HOF before the obvious juicing began, which to me was around 2000-01...when he started to look like he grew an extra head.

    Clemens looked done before he went to Toronto and magically rediscovered his fastball and quit getting injured.

  20. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    190

    Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Because gambling is banned for fear of inauthentic results.

    Steroids give you the same thing, just in the bloodstream.
    And if they want to ban steroid users for life I could understand and back. Once again, whats one have to do with the other?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25