Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Baseball Trade of All Time?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: The Greatest Baseball Trade of All Time?

How about the '87 Parker for Rijo deal?

We all know how valuable Rijo was and the A's acquisition of Parker resulted in a World series appearance in '88 and the '89 World Series Champs. Both teams won..big time.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I thought of Ozzie-for-Templeton initially, but my memory was a bit fuzzy on how Templeton fared in San Diego. He wasn't bad. They made a World Series with him, but his numbers were pretty pedestrian.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    How about the '87 Parker for Rijo deal?

We all know how valuable Rijo was and the A's acquisition of Parker resulted in a World series appearance in '88 and the '89 World Series Champs. Both teams won..big time.
    Probably not "greatest of all time," but I think that qualifies as a good one on both ends.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Joe carter never led indians to any playoffs.
    I stand corrected.

The next Joe Carter trade was a good one two. Traded by the Indians to the Padres for Sandy Alomar jr and Carlos Baerga. That trade help set up the Indians playoff run in the '90's. Padres then flipped Carter a year later in the trade in the original post.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Rafael Landestoy for Harry Spilman
    Trade helped set up the 1990 World Champion Reds.

Landestoy was traded to the Dodgers for John Franco, who eventually was traded to the Mets for Randy Myers.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-10-2014)

I misread the original request and must recant my nominations... I also will not mention the famous Bouton for Womack deal in 69.

Deals usually are hard to find where both parties make out long term, more often it's a young guy for an older guy with a quick payout.

Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz. Both teams got exactly what they wanted.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Chip R (01-10-2014),RedsBaron (01-10-2014),Revering4Blue (01-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Excellent choice. The Tigers in 1987 would not have won the AL East without Alexander, but with him they were the best team in baseball during the regular season. Obviously Smoltz returned much greater value for the Braves, but by the time Smoltz became a great pitcher in the 1990s and early 2000s the Tigers were so bad that had they had Smoltz they would have still been losers.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I think Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell falls into that category as well.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I disagree.

The Astros really didn't benefit all that much from an aging Lee May and Tommy Helms. I would say my Dick Allen/Tommy John choice is better. John went on to have what many believe to have a HOF career with the Dodgers and Allen won the MVP in 72' with the Chisox.
    I agree with that. The Reds made out like bandits on that trade. They got 25% of the great eight,a two time NL MVP,Geronimo won multiple gold gloves in CF and Jack Billingham anchored the rotation for quite a few seasons, winning 19 games in 73 and 74. May was the only one that helped the Astros much. But his power was offset quite a bit by playing in that cavern known as the Astrodome. I don't remember Helms having a big impact on them and Jimmy Stewart soon retired from movie making.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I disagree.

The Astros really didn't benefit all that much from an aging Lee May and Tommy Helms. I would say my Dick Allen/Tommy John choice is better. John went on to have what many believe to have a HOF career with the Dodgers and Allen won the MVP in 72' with the Chisox.
    See, you're looking at it from BOTH SIDES though. I wasn't. I was looking at it from one side that made the most impact. Different strokes and all.

~edit~ Plus I apparently can't read. I didn't read all of the original post. *takes a bow*

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I agree with that. The Reds made out like bandits on that trade. They got 25% of the great eight,a two time NL MVP,Geronimo won multiple gold gloves in CF and Jack Billingham anchored the rotation for quite a few seasons, winning 19 games in 73 and 74. May was the only one that helped the Astros much. But his power was offset quite a bit by playing in that cavern known as the Astrodome. I don't remember Helms having a big impact on them and Jimmy Stewart soon retired from movie making.
    You've covered pretty much everything I was going to note (including the Stewart movie reference - "great minds"...). I would disagree with the OP viz this trade that May was aging and clearly he was a big part of what Houston was wanting. May did have some good years following his time with the Astros including leading the league in RBI's in 1976. I think Helms was more or less a bit overrated. I just now looked at his ROY award and, really, looking at the other voter getters, it's possibly one of the most lackluster years for rookies ever. I say all this liking Tommy Helms quite a lot. But as you and others have noted, this was a whopping lopside trade even down to Ed Armbrister. I'm always amazed when I look at his AAA numbers at Indy - he hit very well up there and the outfielders over those three years were a very good group.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-10-2014)

Sorry to go off topic, but seeing Doyles name reminded me of a story. When I made a little league all star team, we had to travel to play a tourney. Our bus pulls up, we get off and people start staring at my dad and rushing over and forming a line asking for pics and autos. He had a Detroit Tigers jacket on and looked a lot like Doyle-he laughed for months about it, but also shaved his mustache right after that as well.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

who got the better of the art shamsky for Bob Johnson deal?

The Frank Robinson trade was huge for the Baltimore Orioles. Still makes me sick.

Turn Off Ads?