Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Baseball Trade of All Time?

Re: The Greatest Baseball Trade of All Time?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    You've covered pretty much everything I was going to note (including the Stewart movie reference - "great minds"...). I would disagree with the OP viz this trade that May was aging and clearly he was a big part of what Houston was wanting. May did have some good years following his time with the Astros including leading the league in RBI's in 1976. I think Helms was more or less a bit overrated. I just now looked at his ROY award and, really, looking at the other voter getters, it's possibly one of the most lackluster years for rookies ever. I say all this liking Tommy Helms quite a lot. But as you and others have noted, this was a whopping lopside trade even down to Ed Armbrister. I'm always amazed when I look at his AAA numbers at Indy - he hit very well up there and the outfielders over those three years were a very good group.
    May led the AL in RBI in 1976 with Orioles. He only had 2 years with the Astros.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

The October 11, 1946 trade between the Indians and Yankees, wherein the Tribe acquired second baseman Joe Gordon in exchange for pitcher Allie Reynolds, may have been a trade that benefited both teams.
    Over the long haul Reynolds clearly returned more value for the Yankees, winning 19 games in NY's 1947 championship season and later being a staff ace for NY's 1949-53 run of five straight championships. Gordon only lasted four years in Cleveland before retiring, playing very well in 1947 and 1948, but he clearly was more valuable than Reynolds in 1948, a season in which Cleveland finished the regular season tied with the Boston Red Sox, before beating the Red Sox in a one game playoff and then winning the World Series over the Boston Braves. Without Gordon, the Indians may have finished second or even third in the AL and the 1948 World Series would have been an all Boston affair.
    This was a trade which may have brought a world championship to each team.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The reds traded Dick Simpson for Alex Johnson, that was a good trade

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    The reds traded Dick Simpson for Alex Johnson, that was a good trade
    Alex Johnson for Jim McGlothlin and Pedro Borbon was better

6. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (01-10-2014)

Every time I hear the name Alex Johnson, I always here the quote, "Alex exhausts half of his vocabulary when he says the word mother."
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

why JOhnson won a batting title with the Angels and was a heck of a hitter, what did McGlothlin do, he did not pitch well in the 1970 World Series

A.J> was a fantastic hitter

Johnson did not like sportswriters. Heck he didn't like anyone except maybe Tommy Helms. He truly was a man of few words. Greatest Alex Johnson quote ever. Early in 1969 after a Reds Phillies game at old Connie Mack Stadium, Ray Kelly, a writer for the Philadelphia Daily News, noticed that Johnson, who had only hit 2 homers in 1968, had already surpassed the total. He posed a question to Johnson. "Alex you hit only 2 homers last year. You already have 7 this season. What's the difference?" "Five," replied Johnson without the slightest trace of a smile as he walked away.

John Wooden

10. Likes:

Raisor (01-11-2014), texasdave (01-10-2014)

Getting Fred Norman for Gene Locklear was pretty good too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

He also made an amazing catch on Friday in October of 1964 to start a triple play against the Reds, in the 4-3 loss to the Phillies

why JOhnson won a batting title with the Angels and was a heck of a hitter, what did McGlothlin do, he did not pitch well in the 1970 World Series

And a horrendous disinterested baseball player too.

920 IP and 3600 batters faced by Pedro as a Red, not shabby, Mcglothlin also faced over 2500 batters.

Not a bad trade for a guy who's singles driven offense wasn't missed a beat.

14. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (01-10-2014)

They needed McGlothlin that season as they lost Maloney early. He performed pretty well, winning 14 games. Pedro Borbon gave the Reds more than they ever expected and was a fixture on the Big Red Machine teams. AJ could hit, but was a tremendous headache everywhere he went.

John Wooden

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

The best Reds example I can think of was the Konerko for Cameron trade with the White Sox. The ChiSox got a franchise cornerstone at 1B, while the Reds got a good season out of Cameron before trading him for Griffey (exactly what they wanted)...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Alex Johnson was absolutely the worst outfielder I have ever seen in almost 60 years of watching ml baseball.

18. Likes:

westofyou (01-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The best Reds example I can think of was the Konerko for Cameron trade with the White Sox. The ChiSox got a franchise cornerstone at 1B, while the Reds got a good season out of Cameron before trading him for Griffey (exactly what they wanted)...
    You beat me to this by ten minutes. If Cameron had been a career Red, I think this one would have been almost better than OP's. Considering Cameron's defensive value, their production was remarkably similar.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

getting Bobby Tolan for an aged Vada Pinson was theft

Turn Off Ads?