Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Baseball Trade of All Time?

Re: The Greatest Baseball Trade of All Time?

Jay Ward and Jay Tibbs and Jay Howell and Joey Jay were my favorites

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not Jay Johnstone?

He was not a Red although he batted about .400 for the Phils in the series of 1976 when the Reds beat the Phillies in three straight, He also had the same initials as the great prospect Jeff Jones the outfielder the Reds promoted from Single A who went on to have a great career with the Reds, as did Cecil Espy and Cesar Hernandez

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Excellent choice. The Tigers in 1987 would not have won the AL East without Alexander, but with him they were the best team in baseball during the regular season. Obviously Smoltz returned much greater value for the Braves, but by the time Smoltz became a great pitcher in the 1990s and early 2000s the Tigers were so bad that had they had Smoltz they would have still been losers.
    Thought about that one, too, but I've always followed the Tigers as kind of my "AL team." Alexander helped get them to the playoffs, but got bombed twice in the postseason and was never the same after that. Needless to say, the Tigers would like to have that one back.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Although the Reds wound up trading him not too long after getting him, the Roberto Kelly for Paul O'Neill trade (at least initially) looked pretty good for both teams.

Was Kelly eventually dealt for Deion Sanders?
    Rounding third and heading for home...

On 12/4/64 the Dodgers and Senators completed a trade that arguably helped both teams, which was to be the original criteria for this thread. A number of players were involved but the principals were Claude Osteen going to Los Angeles and Frank Howard to Washington.
    Osteen became the reliable number three starter on the Dodgers NL pennant winners of 1965 and 1966, and helped turn around the 1965 World Series with a great game three effort after Drysdale and Koufax lost the first two Series games.
    Howard couldn't bring a pennant to the woeful Washington teams of that era but he gave Senator fans something to cheer for with seasons of 44, 48, and 44 HRs in 1968-70, twice leading the AL in HRs.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Chiti for Chiti doesn't really qualify as the greatet trade ever but it has to be the most equal trade ever.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Here's a website that others may enjoy:

http://www.baseballhistorian.com/trade_details.cfm

The link is set to the search results for Randy Johnson as I was revisiting his trade in 1998.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I think the Morgan trade is the only one mentioned so far that I'd consider close to the Alomar/Carter for McGriff/Fernandez deal.
    But the Morgan trade didn't really benefit the Astros.

I think the point of the thread was value for value where the trade helps both teams a ton.

Wasn't there a trade of two top sluggers in the 1950's between two teams in the Midwest? Cleveland and Detroit maybe? I can't find it and it has been bugging me all day.

Oh everytime I look quickly I think this thread is for the best tirade in MLB history which would go to either Pinella or Weaver.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Wasn't there a trade of two top sluggers in the 1950's between two teams in the Midwest? Cleveland and Detroit maybe? I can't find it and it has been bugging me all day.

Oh everytime I look quickly I think this thread is for the best tirade in MLB history which would go to either Pinella or Weaver.
    Harvey Kuenn for Rocky Colivito. The reigning BA champ for the reigning HR champ.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

klw (01-11-2014),marcshoe (01-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Harvey Kuenn for Rocky Colivito. The reigning BA champ for the reigning HR champ.
    That trade definitely didn't help the Indians either on the field or at the gate.

15. Likes:

marcshoe (01-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post

Colovito for Kuehn is what you're thinking of.

Neither team got much from that, but Detroit probably won that deal

The Tigers definitely came out ahead in the Colavito for Kuenn trade, which was one of the many terrible trades Frank Lane made during his long career of constant trading to little good effect.

18. Likes:

westofyou (01-10-2014)

how about the reds big trade of KIp Gross

Turn Off Ads?