Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tanaka and late off-season transactions

Re: Tanaka and late off-season transactions

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Another thing to remember KC is the national media contract goes up quite a bit in a couple of years and there's the new local media contract to be negotiated. I believe the Reds will be in the $100-105M range this years and should climb to around $125-130M by 2016 (but probably maintain about the MLB rank).
    I thought the National TV money kicks in this year, 2014, but I don't know the details and I'm sure you are right.

Yes, sure, if the future revenues are projected to be higher then I'm happy for them to be reasonably aggressive with contracts. I simply don't want them to continue to be strapped every off-season because of huge contracts entered into.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Minor Moves: Coello, Braddock, Keppel, Manzella
    By Charlie Wilmoth [January 11 at 12:59pm CST]
    Here are today's minor moves from around baseball.

The Reds have signed pitcher Bobby Keppel to a minor-league deal, Eddy tweets. Keppel, 31, has pitched for the Royals, Rockies and Twins, but he spent the past four season with the Nippon Ham Fighters in Japan. Last season, he posted a 6.14 ERA with 3.9 K/9 and 4.9 BB/9 in 36 2/3 innings there.

4. Likes:

drowg14 (01-20-2014)

Wasn't Tanaka a WWF scrub?

6. Likes:

Chip R (01-13-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Wasn't Tanaka a WWF scrub?
    That was TaTanka.

8. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That was TaTanka.
    Nah, I know about Tatanka. This was a real undercard scrub.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Are we talking about another one of Steve Lombardi's aliases?

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Says the Reds should sign Homer because the off season has consisted of sitting on the sidelines & snagging Skip.

Thinks the Reds do need another SP for depth -- suggests Jerome Williams or Paul Maholm or Freddy Garcia if they want to go real cheap which allows them to shorten Cingrani's inning count for the year.

For the offense side says Reds need another OF and KC has one too many - Dyson & Maxwell are the names floated as probably easy to get.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

13. Likes:

757690 (01-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    Says the Reds should sign Homer because the off season has consisted of sitting on the sidelines & snagging Skip.

Thinks the Reds do need another SP for depth -- suggests Jerome Williams or Paul Maholm or Freddy Garcia if they want to go real cheap which allows them to shorten Cingrani's inning count for the year.

For the offense side says Reds need another OF and KC has one too many - Dyson & Maxwell are the names floated as probably easy to get.
    So does working for ESPN automatically reduce ones brain cells? Cameron used to be half way intelligent.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Stat geek...and proud

Are you thinking about Pat Tanaka, who was a tag team guy? Orient Express, Badd Company in the AWA?

Reds should sign Homer
    Brilliant! If it were gonna happen, it most likely would have. if it is even possible, it will.

Earth-shattering! Where does he come up with these? I'd be shocked if the Reds don't sign another starter before spring training. It will probably be for a minor league deal with ST invite. Malholm will sign for decent bucks. Would Williams or Garcia take what the Reds are offering? Probably better options out there, but I do like Williams a little.

For the offensive side says Reds need another OF and KC has one too many - Dyson & Maxwell are the names floated as probably easy to get.
    Might consider Dyson or Maxwell if the price is right. Would like it more if it included Emilio Bonifacio for the bench. Would like it better still if it also included his brother Jorge.

17. Likes:

Red Raindog (01-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post

Maxwell would be a good fit. Billy H and Skippy both are better against RHP. Need a guy to play CF against LHP. Wonder what it would take. Probably more than Ondrusek or Christiani. They can have both as far as I'm concerned.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Are you thinking about Pat Tanaka, who was a tag team guy? Orient Express, Badd Company in the AWA?
    Yeah! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    So does working for ESPN automatically reduce ones brain cells? Cameron used to be half way intelligent.
    What did he say that was wrong?

I don't disagree with any of those points.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    What did he say that was wrong?

I don't disagree with any of those points.
    But the offseason isn't over, and the Reds still have 2½ months until Opening Day. There are moves that could still be made that would restock their roster and put them back in position to keep up with the Cardinals and Pirates again. Let's take a look at a few moves that could salvage Cincinnati's offseason.
    Resigning Bailey does nothing for this year. And I think of the four starters needing to be signed long term, Bailey is the one I would least want to sign long term. He's a #3 who is going to be paid like a #1.

Adding a 7th starter for AAA would be nice, but really isn't going to move the needle. The guys mentioned aren't any better than the options the Reds currently have for a starter past Holmberg, they're just more expensive.

Maxwell and Dyson are 30 year old never beens who aren't significantly better than who the Reds have now in AAA or could get for free off of waivers in spring training. They aren't guys a GM targets to "restock their roster."

I will say this, if that is all Cameron thinks it takes for the Reds to "keep up with the Cardinals and Pirates," then he obviously doesn't see Reds as actually being behind the Cardinals and the Pirates, and I agree with him on that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?