Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rickey Henderson on approach of current leadoff hitters

Re: Rickey Henderson on approach of current leadoff hitters

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He played on the A's during the Canseco/McGwire era. And he definitely got a lot bigger during that period. Plus, many players have said that there's a player already in the HOF who they know is a steroid user. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out whom they are talking about.
    You're gonna have to do better even begin to suggest a player used.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Likes:

westofyou (01-11-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Canseco has said specifically that he never saw Rickey use and he believed he was clean. And he's named a lot of other names.

5. Likes:

cincinnati chili (01-12-2014)

On the other hand I think most players dabbled with steroids as part of their strength program going back to the 70's. Remember the steelers teams of the 70's were roided out.

He played on the A's during the Canseco/McGwire era. And he definitely got a lot bigger during that period. Plus, many players have said that there's a player already in the HOF who they know is a steroid user. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out whom they are talking about.
    The Scooter? Rabbit Maranville?

He came back to the A's in 1989.....and into 1990 and through that season he never looked any bigger and by that time he was already a probable HOF.

I never saw him look bigger until maybe 1993 when he was with the Jays....and he was never even fingered by Canseco. Might as well accuse Ken Griffey Jr of using since he got pretty big and puffy with the Reds.

Based on players saying that they know of a HOF player who used.....you deduct it was him?

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    On the other hand I think most players dabbled with steroids as part of their strength program going back to the 70's. Remember the steelers teams of the 70's were roided out.
    Football is a different animal. Up until the late '80s, there was prejudice against strength training in most clubhouses because the conventional wisdom was that "muscle-bound" players were slower and less flexible than lean players, and speed was at a premium in the astroturf era. It was also the belief that bat speed came from the wrists and forearms. If you go back and listen to announcers talk about the power of Eric Davis, they spoke of the strength of his wrists to whip the bat through the zone rather than upper arm strength. The first Red I can recall ever being discussed having a serious weight training regimen was pitcher Jack Armstrong. The drugs of choice in clubhouses in the '70s and '80s were greenies, and to a lesser extent cocaine.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

That is referencing Jimmy Galvin a pitcher of the late 1800's, who pumped himself up on testosterone at the end of his career.

http://www.businessinsider.com/baseb...id-user-2013-1

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    That is referencing Jimmy Galvin a pitcher of the late 1800's, who pumped himself up on testosterone at the end of his career.

The quote I was referring to was from current players who claim that the know of one player that they payed with who they know used steroids, who is currently in the HOF.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    The Scooter? Rabbit Maranville?

He came back to the A's in 1989.....and into 1990 and through that season he never looked any bigger and by that time he was already a probable HOF.

I never saw him look bigger until maybe 1993 when he was with the Jays....and he was never even fingered by Canseco. Might as well accuse Ken Griffey Jr of using since he got pretty big and puffy with the Reds.

Based on players saying that they know of a HOF player who used.....you deduct it was him?
    First of all, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Griffey tried PED's of some sort at some time. Second, we know he wasn't a significant user, since he sucked at the end of his career, lol.

As for Henderson, there's a lot of smoke. He came up as a small speedster, and developed into a big time power hitter, in an era, the '80's, when power was on the decline, maintaining high isolated power numbers and speed deep into his late 30's. And talk about 'roid rage, Rickey's whole career was accentuated by his obnoxious behavior and attitude.

Clearly we will never know for sure, but if I'm betting, I'm betting Rickey Henderson used steroids.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

First of all, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Griffey tried PED's of some sort at some time. Second, we know he wasn't a significant user, since he sucked at the end of his career, lol.

As for Henderson, there's a lot of smoke. He came up as a small speedster, and developed into a big time power hitter, in an era, the '80's, when power was on the decline, maintaining high isolated power numbers and speed deep into his late 30's. And talk about 'roid rage, Rickey's whole career was accentuated by his obnoxious behavior and attitude.

Clearly we will never know for sure, but if I'm betting, I'm betting Rickey Henderson used steroids.

Well... I am hoping you are wrong, but sure.....it could be anyone who tried at least once.

I also know that if I could go from 175 pounds at 25.....to 205, with only 8% body fat by the time I was 30, working out only 3 times per week, 1-2 hours a day and taking nothing but regular vitamins and eating a lot of fish and chicken.... then a guy who has time to burn, can look even better doing twice as much with legal vitamins and supplements...and a professional trainer.

I mean I barely knew what i was doing but genetics also played a part in how much bigger I got too. Rickey was like almost any ballplayer was back in the late 70's and early 80's. IF they all worked out as much as they do now...they would need need PED's to get bigger and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post

Yep, Bull based, a classic example of "advancement" not being tied to one generation in theory.

All players want some sort of edge, how far they set the boundaries is another argument.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I tread carefully in this game, but if someone put a gun to my head and said pick the guys who were on steroids, I'd go Kirby Puckett before anyone. Dave Winfield was bigger than anyone in the 80s, do we accuse him? It's also strange that nobody suspects Cal Ripken, if they're just going to throw names around.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

15. Likes:

westofyou (01-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I tread carefully in this game, but if someone put a gun to my head and said pick the guys who were on steroids, I'd go Kirby Puckett before anyone. Dave Winfield was bigger than anyone in the 80s, do we accuse him? It's also strange that nobody suspects Cal Ripken, if they're just going to throw names around.

Pete Rose, he totally fits the accuse template

And let's all admit guys juiced in the 70s too

I do get the feeling that most people are under the impression that steroids work the same way that spinach did for Popeye. They think as soon as you pop them you start sprouting muscles.
    Last edited by CySeymour; 01-12-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

18. Likes:

westofyou (01-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I do get the feeling that most people are under the impression that steroids work the same way that spinach did for Popeye. They think as soon as you pop them you start sprouting muscles.
    I have been taking steroids everyday for over a decade, per doctor's orders. It's wasn't as fast as Popeye, but I did spout muscles, gaining 50 pounds, at age 35, in less than two months, without changing my workout schedule.

You aren't far off in your description. Steroids increase the body's ability for quick cellular growth, making the people who take them bigger and stronger in a very short amount of time. It's in science books everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pete Rose, he totally fits the accuse template

And let's all admit guys juiced in the 70s too
    Pete hung out with a bunch of guys involved in steroids at Gold's Gym. So if he wanted to use them, he'd have had easy access. Much more of a smoking gun than some of the other names being thrown around in this thread.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?