Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds news...that isn't

Reds news...that isn't

It's just Pants

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...s-cordier.html

Actually, if it were just signing Cruz to a one-year deal to rehab his post-PEDs rep, it might happen (actually, it already would have and some other team would have done it).

Can't see the Reds giving up their first pick (especially since it could be mid-teens and close to a protected pick come the 2015 draft).

I'd just as soon hope Ludwick will bounce back for less and keep the pick. I'd still like to see them offer a deal to Tampa Bay of Matt Joyce or some other team for a LH-bat to semi-platoon with Ryan.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-15-2014 at 01:03 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds news...that isn't

I'm not opposed to Nelson Cruz - I'm opposed to losing a first round draft pick for Cruz.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'm not opposed to Nelson Cruz - I'm opposed to losing a first round draft pick for Cruz.
    Curious because I don't know the answer .... Is there some sort of statute of limitations on this draft pick? Say Cruz is signed before the season starts, then the pick is given up. Now what if we are 30 games into the season, does the same rule apply?

Well, Bowden linked the Reds to Nelson Cruz, that means it is definitely not happening.

6. Likes:

757690 (01-15-2014),toledodan (01-15-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Curious because I don't know the answer .... Is there some sort of statute of limitations on this draft pick? Say Cruz is signed before the season starts, then the pick is given up. Now what if we are 30 games into the season, does the same rule apply?
    I can find no actual rule but it seems MLB has the pragmatic position that if a player is unsigned by the date of the amateur draft then no compensation can be awarded.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

did leather pants give the reds back some money to help sign cruz lol
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I used to say that, too.

Now I am becoming very worried about LF next year. Now, I have amended my stance to be that if Nelson Cruz came way down on his objective of four or five years and about $15 million per, to let's say two years at $5 million per (which won't happen), I would pursue it. I might as well say what you are saying, but there could be some remote scenario where Nelson's price falls through the floor.

Looking at Nelson's stats, I was very surprised about how little value he has supplied over the last three years.

He has only 3.9 fWAR total in the past three years. He is projected at only about 1.5 WAR next year. This would still be an upgrade over Ludwick/Heisey, but the Reds should still not pay for those full wins at let's say $7.5 mil per, because they have to factor in the lost first round draft pick.

Nelson Cruz can hit for some power, but really struggled with defense and baserunning for the Rangers for the last three years and recently got busted for PEDs.

The Reds should get nowhere near his asking price.

Let's say Cruz does come down to 2 years at 5mil per. If that were to happen it would be unlikely he would sign with Cinci. He would want to go somewhere where he would have a good shot at winning a world series like Detroit. I understand Cinci has been a playoff team recently, but I doubt Cruz if given a choice between a powerhouse like Detroit or StL would choose Cinci.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Let's say Cruz does come down to 2 years at 5mil per. If that were to happen it would be unlikely he would sign with Cinci. He would want to go somewhere where he would have a good shot at winning a world series like Detroit. I understand Cinci has been a playoff team recently, but I doubt Cruz if given a choice between a powerhouse like Detroit or StL would choose Cinci.
    That would be fine by me. Nelson Cruz has been pretty pedestrian over the last three years.

Turn Off Ads?