Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Reds have talked about Kemp

Paul Daugherty says Reds have talked about Kemp

From his morning column:

"Full judgment shouldnt be rendered until Opening Day. Unwise to assume he doesnt have a hat, and a rabbit. Offseason body language not good. Nice little moves that don’t scare anybody. Is Walt on the hot seat? Should he be?

I’ve heard the name Matt Kemp in passing. FWIW."

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daughert...ng-line-115-4/

He does have sources inside the Reds. He was the first to report on Phillips. Who knows what the discussions were, but it's interesting that they have at least talked about Kemp considering how much money he is due.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Paul Daugherty says Reds have talked about Kemp

Didn't he also say Brandon Phillips was "as good as traded?"

4. Likes:

Always Red (01-15-2014),CoachBombay (01-16-2014),Crumbley (01-15-2014)

He may have, I'm not sure. But, I do believe the Reds were actively looking to move Phillips. Things just didn't materialize. I think if Phillips didn't have the Yankees on his no trade list he'd already be in pinstripes.

6. Likes:

joshua (01-15-2014)

Kemp is a guy I've been singing about since October. He would make a very interesting, if not great, target IMO. Much better than the status quo, at least we'd be daring to be great.
    Go BLUE!!!

8. Likes:

Hubba (01-17-2014),Red in Atl (01-15-2014)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Kemp is a guy I've been singing about since October. He would make a very interesting, if not great, target IMO. Much better than the status quo, at least we'd be daring to be great.
    I just don't see how we could pay almost half of our payroll to 2 guys, 1 of whom has been injury plagued, and expect to compete long term.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

10. Likes:

RadfordVA (01-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I just don't see how we could pay almost half of our payroll to 2 guys, 1 of whom has been injury plagued, and expect to compete long term.
    I am thinking the same thing. He's signed through 2019, so unless the Dodgers pick up quite a bit of his contract, I just don't see how Cincy could swing it.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I imagine if one hung around the Reds front office this offseason, one would hear quite a few names being discussed. A smart team discusses every possible option to make the team better. I would hope Kemp's name was discussed.
    Last edited by 757690; 01-15-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-15-2014),Edd Roush (01-15-2014),Old school 1983 (01-15-2014),RedsManRick (01-15-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I am thinking the same thing. He's signed through 2019, so unless the Dodgers pick up quite a bit of his contract, I just don't see how Cincy could swing it.
    Of course the Dodgers would have to take on a huge amount of Kemp's contract- at least half- in order for anything to get done. Plus I'd imGine the trade would involve some kind of combo of Phillips, Ludwick, Broxton, Bailey or Chapman- of course not all of them by any stretch, but the Reds would be sending back some high priced names.

I've always said Phillips and Broxton would make a lot of sense if LA would pay half of the difference in money.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I imagine if one hung ariund the Reds front office this offseason, one would hear quite a few names being discussed. A smart team discusses every possible option to make the team better. I would hope Kemp's name was discussed.
    I he were healthy and all things were equal, Kemp would be among a half dozen position names that would spring to mind if I could pick any one opposing player to insert into the Reds lineup.

Things (salary) aren't all equal though and his health has to be a major concern. IF it were to happen, the Dodgers would need to pay at least a quarter of what is owed him and I would expect Phillips to be included and possibly Bailey or Chapman. If Walt is smart, he would also insist that both Ludwick and Broxton's contracts be assumed as well. I'd think a B prospect or two or surplus vet would head the Reds way too.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I agree...but then again the LA pocketbooks are reported to be VERY deep...I'd expect them to pony up quite a few bucks to offset any Kemp deal.

This offseason has been miserable. Someone knock me out until April.

18. Likes:

Red Raindog (01-15-2014),RedTeamGo! (01-15-2014)

So Matt Kemp is going to be our next GM?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (01-15-2014),LoganBuck (01-15-2014)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So Matt Kemp is going to be our next GM?
    Shawn Kemp, actually. We couldn't afford Matt after all.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

22. Likes:

BillDoran (01-15-2014),BRM13 (01-16-2014),pahster (01-15-2014),traderumor (01-15-2014)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Wonder if they could do a Kemp deal where the Dodgers pay him while he's on the DL and the Reds pay his salary while he's on the active roster. (or maybe the Dodgers reimburse the Reds a pro-rated amount at the end of every year or something?)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

24. Likes:

traderumor (01-15-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I imagine if one hung around the Reds front office this offseason, one would hear quite a few names being discussed. A smart team discusses every possible option to make the team better. I would hope Kemp's name was discussed.
    Exactly. I imagine you work in an office with dozens of people whose primary job is to make the Reds better. Don't you think you'd pretty have discussed every player in the league at some point? Obviously Fay wouldn't say anything it were just "That Matt Kemp guy is pretty good", but this seems like an easy way to fill a slow news day more than anything else.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

26. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-15-2014),RadfordVA (01-16-2014)

Turn Off Ads?