Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Reds have talked about Kemp

Re: Paul Daugherty says Reds have talked about Kemp

Someone here put together a prospective package that the Dodgers would want/accept. I'm not seeing anything.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I imagine if one hung around the Reds front office this offseason, one would hear quite a few names being discussed. A smart team discusses every possible option to make the team better. I would hope Kemp's name was discussed.
    But Daugherty only said Kemp, he didn't say a bunch of other names. If he'd heard other names, why would he conceal them?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Someone here put together a prospective package that the Dodgers would want/accept. I'm not seeing anything.
    It's hard to say what they'd accept, since it mostly depends on what other teams offer. They don't really have much in the way of needs. I think some team will want to give them prospects, and I hope to god Walt doesn't entertain that idea. Kemp is OK to look at as long as we're talking about sending some of our own albatrosses to them in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd rather make both, ship Ludwick off and let Sizemore play CF as Hamilton moves to 2B.
    Okay so who plays CF when Sizemore definitely gets hurt and LF when Kemp likely gets hurt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Okay so who plays CF when Sizemore definitely gets hurt and LF when Kemp likely gets hurt?
    Is kemp more of an injury concern than Ludwick?

7. Likes:

Caveman Techie (01-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Is kemp more of an injury concern than Ludwick?
    I'm more concerned about Ludwick never reaching pre injury form than him getting hurt again.

I have no problem with getting Kemp and/or Sizemore, but dumping Ludwick and moving Hamilton and giving yourself 0 OF depth with 2 guys made of glass is recipe for disaster (Thom voice).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I don't consider Ludwick a legitimate starter (Skippy/Heisey platoon would be just as good, IMO), so as far as I'm concerned, we have gaping hole in LF at the moment. I wouldn't pass up on a legitimate starter and hold onto a role-player just because of depth concerns. That's not to say I wouldn't worry about Kemp's injuries, but it's more about getting stuck with the salary than getting stuck without a backup.

Walt may be looking at it as another Jim Edmonds opportunity to acquire a talented guy who has battled injuries that have limited his playing time and his production. The financial obligation is much larger, but I don't think anyone would do the deal if the Dodgers didn't assume some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Walt may be looking at it as another Jim Edmonds opportunity to acquire a talented guy who has battled injuries that have limited his playing time and his production. The financial obligation is much larger, but I don't think anyone would do the deal if the Dodgers didn't assume some of that.
    When I mentioned Ludwick and Broxton as being part of the deal (along with a quarter of Kemp's remaining salary). I was just talking about what it would take for it to be financially possible for the Reds. Wasn't saying I thought the Dodgers would bite in it - not a chance in someplace very hot that they would.

I'm really hoping the Reds land Sizemore to an incentive laden deal pending a physical. I'm not convinced Kemp is healthy. Sizemore has had two years off to heal. So there is a strong possibility he wouldn't be rumored if he wasn't at least 90%.

I see him in a similar light to Mark Mulder. Sometimes it takes a lot of time to properly heal. Now Kemp MIGHT be in the same boat, however he comes with the cost of money AND prospects. Sizemore is a smarter play IMO.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

13. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-16-2014),Boss-Hog (01-16-2014),gilpdawg (01-17-2014),Number_Fourteen (01-17-2014),RedTeamGo! (01-16-2014),Revering4Blue (01-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds foundation isn't all that great. Every team can list a bunch of pitching prospects. The Reds have their share but they are not an unusually excellent group.
    I guess it depends on how we define "foundation"
    Everyone was pretty bullish on the Reds last year.
    Choo and Arroyo are gone, but I guess they really weren't considered foundation guys. Homer and Ludwick likewise probably aren't considered
    foundation guys.

Other than the Cards, and maybe LA, we probably have as good of a foundation as anyone in the league (at least by my definition )
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm really hoping the Reds land Sizemore to an incentive laden deal pending a physical. I'm not convinced Kemp is healthy. Sizemore has had two years off to heal. So there is a strong possibility he wouldn't be rumored if he wasn't at least 90%.

I see him in a similar light to Mark Mulder. Sometimes it takes a lot of time to properly heal. Now Kemp MIGHT be in the same boat, however he comes with the cost of money AND prospects. Sizemore is a smarter play IMO.
    I understand the interest in Sizemore -- I'd be happy to see a minor league offer to him but I see 12 roster spots likely filled and another OF is not on my list

2 catchers - Mes & Pena

5 Flycatchers - Bruce, Ludwick, Heisey, Schumaker (backing up at 2B too) & Hamilton

5 Infielders - Votto, BP, Cozart, Frazier & Hannahan

If we are assuming 12 pitchers on the staff there is one slot open and I don't see a tested SS in reserve.
    Last edited by Red Raindog; 01-16-2014 at 06:57 PM. Reason: typos
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    I understand the interest in Sizemore -- I'd be happy to see a minor league offer to him but I see 12 roster spots likely filled and another OF is not on my list

2 catchers - Mes & Pena

5 Flycatchers - Bruce, Ludwick, Heisey, Schumaker (backing up at 2B too) & Hamilton

If we are assuming 12 pitchers on the staff there is one slot open and I don't see a tested SS in reserve.
    Billy H can backup SS as Cozart should only need a day off every other week

of course they talked about Kemp

Iīm sure they talked about lots of names, thatīs there job and if they donīt discuss it and ask for a price (if they have a big interest) it would be pretty dumb...

they donīt sit at home and do nothing, but if you watched the offseason itīs not easy to find a improvement without a big overpayment...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post

2 catchers - Mes & Pena

Nope. You have Hannahan listed - go back and try again.

Seriously though send Hannahan packing and add someone who can at least nominally play SS and add another strong OF bat. Schumaker doubles as your 2nd reserve IF

Turn Off Ads?