Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Reds have talked about Kemp

Re: Paul Daugherty says Reds have talked about Kemp

Matt Kemp makes 20 million a year

Matt Kemp has been to the plate 739 times the last 2 seasons

Matt Kemp got paid $54,127 for every plate appearance over the last 2 seasons.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-15-2014), RadfordVA (01-16-2014), RedTeamGo! (01-15-2014), thatcoolguy_22 (01-15-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

That is a bargain! Ryan Madson made north of $12 Million to not throw a pitch over the last two years.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    This offseason has been miserable. Someone knock me out until April.
    1982 says hello.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    That is a bargain! Ryan Madson made north of $12 Million to not throw a pitch over the last two years.
    Got $∞ just to approach the plate.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

And the icing in the crap cake that was Kemp's season last year was that he had an .723 OPS and was miserable in the field. Derrick Robinson was a more valuable player last year. What really scares me is that Kemp's power vanished last year.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Trading for Kemp makes zero sense for this team. Any long-term commitment in the OF will eventually begin to block our true organizational depth there. As a mid-market team with budget crunches every year you have to cross your fingers and expect 2 of the 4 OF prospects that we have anointed among our top-5 overall to pan out. That's just way a team like the Reds should operate. Passing along true, healthy talent for a crippling (in more ways than one), albeit discounted, baby albatross of a contract would be a grave mistake.

This team desperately needs OF help this year and next, but after that, watch out. The Reds outfield could be one of the best in the majors in 2016. No help from Dodgers outcasts needed.

9. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-15-2014), RED VAN HOT (01-15-2014)

Wait. I thought the Reds already traded Phillips and Bailey to the Dodgers for Kemp. I read it on Twitter.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-15-2014), RedEye (01-15-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Trading for Kemp makes zero sense for this team. Any long-term commitment in the OF will eventually begin to block our true organizational depth there. As a mid-market team with budget crunches every year you have to cross your fingers and expect 2 of the 4 OF prospects that we have anointed among our top-5 overall to pan out. That's just way a team like the Reds should operate. Passing along true, healthy talent for a crippling (in more ways than one), albeit discounted, baby albatross of a contract would be a grave mistake.

This team desperately needs OF help this year and next, but after that, watch out. The Reds outfield could be one of the best in the majors in 2016. No help from Dodgers outcasts needed.
    I agree with you, but at the same time, if this organization doesn't do something, they are going to potentially punt the best pitching group this organization has had in the modern era. By 2016 the only guy left in the rotation from 2013 could be Tony Cingrani.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

13. Likes:

Red Raindog (01-15-2014)

I agree with you, but at the same time, if this organization doesn't do something, they are going to potentially punt the best pitching group this organization has had in the modern era. By 2016 the only guy left in the rotation from 2013 could be Tony Cingrani.
    Yeah, but I'd expect Leake and probably Latos to be around. In addition, Stephenson is arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball not to have pitched above AA, and Lively, Moscot, Contreras, Holmberg and Rogers aren't shabby either.
    Sabermetrics can be boiled down to this simple truism: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Yeah, but I'd expect Leake and probably Latos to be around. In addition, Stephenson is arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball not to have pitched above AA, and Lively, Moscot, Contreras, Holmberg and Rogers aren't shabby either.
    And a group including Mahle, Boyle, Kivel, Armstrong, and Weiss among others coming right behind them. The pitching looks good for a while into the future, especially if they keep drafting good pitching prospects like they have - even with expected dropouts there are a lot of solid prospects on the hill coming down the pike.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Lively and Moscot are so far from stud prospects at this point, that it isn't worth discussing, see Langfield, Dan. Contreras is a bullpen guy, Holmberg and Rogers have BOR upside. Stephenson TINSTAAPP. Leake and Latos are both going to be expensive, and Votto's contract jumps to $25 Million then.

This team needs to win NOW

17. Likes:

wheels (01-15-2014)

Thinking in terms of "windows" is the best way to end up with lost decades.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Thinking in terms of "windows" is the best way to end up with lost decades.
    No recognizing them means, one day you wake up, and you don't have what you had the day before. For the Reds that comes after the last out is recorded in 2015.

No recognizing them means, one day you wake up, and you don't have what you had the day before. For the Reds that comes after the last out is recorded in 2015.
    This assumes that things stay exactly the same as they are right now until 2016.

A smart team builds a strong foundation and continues to build on that foundation every year. Sacrificing future talent to take advantage of a window, only makes that window close more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Shawn Kemp, actually. We couldn't afford Matt after all.
    How about his sons? There are enough of them to fill out the rest of the front office.

22. Likes:

cincinnati chili (01-15-2014)

Turn Off Ads?