Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A shot at the All-time Reds roster

Re: A shot at the All-time Reds roster

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Reading the article, the Rose slot show as a super utility player position which then translates into a DH slot in the lineup. It seemed like a consolation prize for Pete being a runner up in many different positions.

He has done this also for the Cubs, Cards and Brewers and only had the 8 position players and no DH or Utility Player (even with the Brewers AL history). I think it is a Rose only creation.
    That makes more sense. Rose would make a much better utility player. But as a DH, absolutely not.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Cy Seymour's 1905 season should also be considered.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eymocy01.shtml

To solve the Votto/ Klu issue, I would probably bump Rose from the DH and put Klu there. Klu then slots in 5th in the lineup between robinson and Foster- Got to split up the lefties.

1. 1976 Joe Morgan, 2B
    2. 1987 Eric Davis, CF
    3. 2010 Joey Votto, 1B
    4. 1962 Frank Robinson, RF
    5. 1954 Ted Kluszewski DH
    6. 1977 George Foster, LF
    7. 1970 Tony Perez, 3B
    8. 1972 Johnny Bench, C (I would also look at taking 1970 Bench instead)
    9. 1996 Barry Larkin, SS
    I do like this one...but I think Choo should get some serious consideration over Davis. Factor in the defense and I go with Eric...but it's hardly a lock.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

4. Likes:

darrylskale (01-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Bucky Walters 1939 season can't be overlooked. 27 wins is awfully good for any time period.
    Bucky Walters arguably had the greatest season ever by a Reds starting pitcher in 1939, winning the pitching triple crown. He not only should be on the staff-he probably should be the number one starter.
    As for Tom Seaver, he pitched roughly 2/3 of a season for the Reds in both 1977, coming to the Reds in a trade in June, and in 1981, losing a third of the season because of a players strike. He pitched 165 innings for the Reds in 1977 and 166 innings in 1981. I would take Seaver in 1977 over Seaver in 1981. He struck out many more batters, had a lower ERA and lower ERA+ and his won-loss records were almost identical, 14-3 in 1977 and 14-2 in 1981.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

No consideration for Junior in CF? I believe he had a yr worthy in 2000 or 2001?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Historically the Reds haven't had much pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I had to look up who Dolf Luque was. This list is pretty solid. I might sub Tom Browning for Blackwell, and Concepcion for Larkin.

Oh, and Sparky should manage this team.
    Davy over Larkin?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I do this batting order

1. 1969 Pete Rose, DH
    2. 2010 Joey Votto, 1B
    3. 1976 Joe Morgan, 2B
    4. 1962 Frank Robinson, RF
    5. 1972 Johnny Bench, C
    6. 1977 George Foster, LF
    7. 1987 Eric Davis, CF
    8. 1996 Barry Larkin, SS
    9. 1970 Tony Perez, 3B

I also toss in one more LH in the BP

1988 - John Franco

Silly....Votto and Morgan can't hit back to back

11. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (01-16-2014)

I'd add Scott Williamson 1999 or 2000 to the bullpen.

I also wouldn't argue with '54 Klu over '10 Votto. In fact, I might even take '12 Votto (and his shortened season) over '10 Votto.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Turn Off Ads?